• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New CCKW at the Ropkey Museum

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Nice Truck!!
David put out a good cckw book. Some people forget about what the G.I.'s could have done to it in rear maint. Here is my truck which is not 100% correct but who cares, it is WWII!
Bill

That's awesome! I think we need some more pics of that. Closed cab CCKW's are the bomb.

paulfarber

The problem is that this truck is in a condition that NO GI ever put it in. I've asked twice now if anyone knew the issues (NOT THE MARKINGS) and no one knows. Yet I could spot it within 10 seconds. I could probably tell more with a frame SN, but that's not been provided.

I am all for 'motorpool' class MVs. But even they have to have a resemblance to reality.

So, all you spotters of the all things CCKW that is correct. What SPECIFICALLY is wrong? Anyone? Beuler?

And thus my point is made.

My CCKW is in far, far worse shape than this... getting a proper restoration is difficult, time consuming and expensive.

I cringe every time I read posts like 'nice truck' when its obvious the poster only knows enough to see a large green MV.

As for the HedgeHogs on tanks, that was a great idea. But it was a solution to a problem... and while it does represent a possible configuration for a tank, it is not representative of M4s in the war. If you saw such a modified tank, you would also see an explination of the attachment and the history of it.

How many CCKWs are restored to their French or Norwegain livery? None? Yet there are TONS of French/Norwegian CCKWs with US Army markings.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is a nice looking truck no matter what the markings. I couldn't tell you what else might not be correct to someone else but if I had a URL in my SS signature I would be complaining to the admin that they couldn't spell.

If you are going to post a reference to a website then at least make it look like a correct representation of a website.

I hope that the tm9-801 website is corrected before it goes online, oh wait, it already is.

b3.3t knows what he is talking about. I have seen his work and I hope to visit the Ropkey Museum someday and see the CCKW in question myself.

sw

Attachments

paulfarber

It is a nice looking truck no matter what the markings. I couldn't tell you what else might not be correct to someone else but if I had a URL in my SS signature I would be complaining to the admin that they couldn't spell.

If you are going to post a reference to a website then at least make it look like a correct representation of a website.

I hope that the tm9-801 website is corrected before it goes online, oh wait, it already is.

b3.3t knows what he is talking about. I have seen his work and I hope to visit the Ropkey Museum someday and see the CCKW in question myself.

sw
Thanks for the spell check. I hope you DL'd the Army Motors (sorry about the Feb 43 issue is out of page order.. working on it). I have 5 more issues to post once I get the process fixed. You'd be amazed on how much you can pick up by browsing through them.

As for 'representing a web site' it IS a web site. :rolleyes: I guess I am all wet becuase Fireworks doesn't have spell check. :rolleyes:

paulfarber

The cab roof opening.
That looks like a home made opening. The rolled lip is very poor, and IIRC the original cover is not canvas.

Can you post a frame SN? Have you found a cab tag? 1609 is the model number... but there *were* field kits to add the hatch in the field.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the spell check.

As for 'representing a web site' it IS a web site. :rolleyes: I guess I am all wet becuase Fireworks doesn't have spell check. :rolleyes:

Firefox does though.

becuase

That has got to be my most common typo along with sedn.

:)

I wish I knew a tenth of what they guys know on this site. Even with my mini-fleet I feel like I don't know anything.

sw

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
you know paul you may have a vast knowledged of the CCKW but no one wants to be put down for owning a truck. Your about as smooth as sand paper in regards to this. I'm sure the owner would like to know the short comings of the vehicle but there is a better way to go about it. To me there is nothing worse than picking apart another guys vehicle. He is very proud of it. A lot easier and better to say something like that is a nice truck but here are a few items that can make it even better. Sounds alot better than your truck sucks and i'm not going to bother to tell you whats wrong with it.

paulfarber

you know paul you may have a vast knowledged of the CCKW but no one wants to be put down for owning a truck. Your about as smooth as sand paper in regards to this. I'm sure the owner would like to know the short comings of the vehicle but there is a better way to go about it. To me there is nothing worse than picking apart another guys vehicle. He is very proud of it. A lot easier and better to say something like that is a nice truck but here are a few items that can make it even better. Sounds alot better than your truck sucks and i'm not going to bother to tell you whats wrong with it.
If your skin is so thin that you cannot take constructive comments then that is not my fault. I said it looked in good condition, but there were problems with it. Heck, I have yet to read a post where someone else could explain what those issues are.

As I said in the beginning, there are enough FUBAR trucks out there. Lets not put one in a MUSEUM. I made the factual statement that the truck, in the current condition, never saw US ARMY service as is.

You may not see the purpose of my posting the issues, I don't see the purpose of posting a picture of a truck just to get a few 'nice truck' posts.

The bottom line is that the truck needs some going over.... and it appears (near certain) that the majority of people here don't know what the issues are or why. I will help out as much as I can to get these trucks back into some resemblance of their former US ARMY glory.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please tell me you are going to fix its errors before you display it. If you are gonna paint it in US Army livery, and say it was used in WWII, then please make it look like a truck that was in WWII.
The above statement is not exactly a good way to go about making friends.

You have done nothing but say the truck is flawed. And your correct, there are not many CCKW experts. Why don't get off your high horse and state what you think is wrong with the truck instead of making condescending comments? Basically you have said "your truck is f-upped and I am not going to tell you anything else. I am the expert and you are not. You and your truck suck."

Part of this hobby is sharing information.

It seems many of the threads you get involved in go down this same road.

How about posting up a pic or your CCKW?

Wayofftrack

If your skin is so thin that you cannot take constructive comments then that is not my fault.
Elephants have thick skin but they leave behind massive turds in their wake much like yourself.

Norman Vincent Peale wrote a book once called something like "How to win friends and influence people" Might want to check it some time Farby.

I just wonder how long it will take you to get banned from this site. Why don't you mind your own effing business for once and not keep running down other peoples hard earned trucks, douchebag.

Garandfan

So, Paul, let's see a pic of your truck and what you have done to it to make it correct. You told me knowledge might be dangerous. Harsh man! Seems like your knowledge and the attitude you have has made a few enemies. If you have some knowledge, share it, and be nice about it.
AND PAUL: nopics of your truck

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
Before all of you I was going to ask how Pauls CCKW was done. Again I didnt see in Wilco's orginal post that he was showing it to the public right now or asked whats wrong with it? -Jay

-I know some of you say this also, you always get a guy that knows more than you about your truck like " That fuel can doesnt go there or your star is upside down" , I always ask them how its done on there truck. I keep getting the same responce , I dont have one.

captain-crank

The above statement is not exactly a good way to go about making friends.

You have done nothing but say the truck is flawed. And your correct, there are not many CCKW experts. Why don't get off your high horse and state what you think is wrong with the truck instead of making condescending comments? Basically you have said "your truck is f-upped and I am not going to tell you anything else. I am the expert and you are not. You and your truck suck."

Part of this hobby is sharing information.

It seems many of the threads you get involved in go down this same road.

How about posting up a pic or your CCKW?
:ditto:

Behold.... the "Do as I say, not as I do" Farby CCKW.
This pic may be a year or two old.
If he has the seeds, maybe the Farb will post up a more current one.
I'm sure it's condition has improved.:?

"If you live in a glass house, don't throw stones."

Attachments

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
that is the most pristine CCKW I have ever put my eyes on. I mean the chrome siren, yellow and red paint are outstanding. Its almost hard to beleive. I could go on and on about that truck. If it was not for the date on the pic I would have sworn that was taken outside the factory in 43 or maybe France on 6 june 1944. :drool::wink::wink::wink:

Last edited:

ETBaals

Isn't "Nice Truck" also open to the posters idea of what a nice truck is.
Just because a so call expert, does not like a truck, that does not mean that 99.9% of the rest of the worlds population will feel the same way.
In fact, most people will be generous with their appreciation of the truck.
I meet alot of experts that like to pick apart my trucks, A real siple answer is to ask where their's is.
those that can, DO Those that can't Bitch

I still think is is a great looking truck, and would be proud to own it as is.

Ernie

paulfarber

That picture is 4+ years old. I have only had the truck a little over 5 years.

Much progress has been made. First I had to find a spare tire carrier, then the proper wooden bed, rebuild the hydrovac (guess how many Series II hydrovac rebuild kits are left on the planet). I have ONE after 3 years of searching. I recently (after 4 years) finally got the proper parts manual for the year of my truck.

As *ANYONE* who takes this stuff seriously will tell you, finding the RIGHT part is the HARDEST part. Sure, I could have kept the M35A2C cargo bed, or went with a Series III hydrovac, or (HORRORS) bought a repro harness with the incorrect connectors.

Every try and get a canvas door redone? Or find the proper pulley and ventilator for a CCKW generator? How about finding the PROPER brake master cylinder and cab bolt hole covers for an open cab (THAT was ridiculous how long that took.. had to go to literally across the country to pick them off a truck).

I doubt that any of you know what those parts are, or could point them out on a CCKW if asked. But I do. My goal is the finest 'Factory Class' CCKW on the planet. Short of bolting one together straight out of a TUP shipping crate... I even have taken FSMWO'd items OFF the truck to put it back to production specs.

So yeah, that is gonna take some time. Till then I will do what I do best, look at CCKWs, figure out what is wrong and post about it. If that hurts your feelings, then I'll be sure to add 'Nice Truck' as the first line. :D

On a more basic level, I hear all the time that MV's are restored to 'Honor the Vets' yet the MV is in a condition that a Vet would never had used it in (ie a Norwegian bring back painted OD and called USGI). This stuff is not hard.... time consuming, expensive, but not hard.

The real shocker (and PLEASE be assured this is NOT an attack) is that books like the D. Doyle CCKW book and the MVPA mags are being lauded buy the people who criticize me for knowing the difference between a US Army CCKW in Service during WWII and European return trucks with plastic fuel filters and Speedometers in KM/H as WWII CCKWs.

My CCKW world revolves around my early 43 open cab. I really don't know much about the later open cabs or the closed ones, but what I know is pretty spot on.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks