• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New CUCV front winch bumper, winch, and lights

DrJekl

Well, I thought I'd show off my new bumper. My truck is an 86 M1031 with the bed swapped for a standard truck bed. Just installed a Gear Vendors unit, getting the drive shaft done, working on a goose neck hitch, receiver for the bumper, trying to fix the funky speedo in it (bounces after it hits 35) too. Truck has 18K original miles and was bought out of FT Campbell, KY in 2009 when I was in Afghanistan last.

The bumper is made from the rear bumper off a Jeep CJ10A tug (3/8" steel and is a bit heavy), cow pusher I pulled off a truck in the scrap yard, clevis mounts are made from M105 trailer parts, winch is a Warn 18K intustrial 24V unit, lights are five billion lumen KC lights used to guide the space shuttle down in heavy fog, again 24V units. [thumbzup] A friend of mine built this for me and says it is his last bumper.

I know, the grill is missing, it is in the truck. Hopefully she'll be finished this week or next.

Attachments

jimmy-90

Dang!!! And I thought my wrecker bumper/barricade remover was pretty bad @ss lol. Mine definately isn't 3/8" thick. That thing you have must be a real beast. I'd say that was a great find.

DrJekl

It is just an old low miles CUCV with a wimpy 6.2L in it. Hopefully the gear vendor kit will help on the highway. We'll see.

The bumpers on the CJ10s are made from 3/8" steel. I saved the bumpers off the ones I scrapped (I don't want to hear it, nobody wants a CJ10A frame! You can't give them away and the scrap yard does not like the 1200# block of steel on the back under the 400# steel thing on the back, nobody wants a Nissan disel engine either so the tub and front end is the only thing worth saving).

Hopefully the 18K# winch is big enough!

DrJekl

The winch and lights were bought used locally from Craigslist posts. I bought both pretty cheap. Those lights retail for like $1300 per the KC web site. I'd have some serious buyer's remorse if I dropped $1300 on something like that. They work and they are cool but $1300? Really? The winch is pretty cool because it has the plate that puts pressure on the winch line to keep it lined up and has the overheat prevention kit on it.

Thanks for the compliments! I don't think it is overkill because you never know when you may need to hang your CUCV with a loaded trailer from a tree when parking is hard to come by!

DrJekl

More like 11 and half!

:funny:

I need to find the spec sheet on those ligts. They are crazy bright and not legal for highway use. I have seen several sets available for sale locally on Craigslist for under $300 a set. I have one more set but am missing part of the wiring harness.

DrJekl

Speedo looks good inside, swapped it out, tested the replacement with a drill and it ran smooth. Did not bench test the old one, have not road tested it because I am waiting on a drive shaft. if this one bounces then I'll look on the other end of the cable and the cable itself. She worked fine for a year then went south one day.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks