• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New CUCV owner - Transmission and engine questions

chevyCUCV

I think the remote resevoir is from a 90's 6.5. Could have just been easier to find over there. Dont think there are any drawbacks to it as those trucks had similar brake/steering systems.

wayne pick

HI sirmax123, I looked through your photos and it looks like you have oil leak problem. Everything in the front of the truck is covered with motor oil. Were you able to thaw out the engine yet? You said there was plain frozen water in the engine wich is typical of a head gasket problem. Most guys will just add plain water to an engine that blows out coolant instead of using expensive inti freeze-coolant when the weather is warm, I am guilty of this. I would find out the status of your engine before you spend a lot of money on headlights and other non mechanical parts. Try to get the engine thawed out, charge the batteries and see what you have to repair. Do not use ether as a starting fluid as the engine might be in a fragile state as it is. Use silicone or WD40 as a starting fluid, it will not damage the engine. Try to degrease the engine if you can with a pressure washer or use spray on degreaser and a garden hose. stay away from the alternators when washing and let it dry out before attempt to start it. You can then determine where the oil is leaking from. That parts house in Germany seems to have everything you need to get your truck back in running shape. Have you checked them out? Keep posting questions. There is a lot of knowledge here at SS.

engineman2

Yeah the remote reservoir should not be a problem as long is it's set up correctly.
Your interior is actually in good shape and it looks like someone has redone it.
The headlights on this truck are self contained. If you buy two new headlights they come with the bulb, reflector and glass. Little parts like the ashtray might be harder to get. I'm curious, are you good with working on cars or engines already?

sirmax123

Yeah the remote reservoir should not be a problem as long is it's set up correctly.
Your interior is actually in good shape and it looks like someone has redone it.
The headlights on this truck are self contained. If you buy two new headlights they come with the bulb, reflector and glass.
yes, interior is a in a good shape but I'd like to make it better.
Also I'm going to install radiostation (sorry I don't know how to say it in English - radio transmitter?)

But could you please give me link to the site where I can buy correct parts for my truck?
As I said before it will take a lot of time to ship. It is better I have extra parts I'll not need then I don't have parts and should wait again.

Now - as I see can start with electrical - head and rear lights.

Little parts like the ashtray might be harder to get. I'm curious, are you good with working on cars or engines already?
No I can't start with engine and transmission - it is too cold in Ukraine now.

I found large garage to rent where I can remove body from power frame, and I hope I'll start next week.
(again - is it correct name for main load-bearing element , I don't understand how to say it in English. I mean "main part" of any truck )

And I'm going to do the following:

1. Remove body, clean and paint with anti-corrosive substance all parts
2. Examines engine and understand should I buy new one or it is possible to rebuild my
3. Do the same with transmission brakes, steering unit.
4. Rebuild alternators and starter (starter looks like new but I should check it anyway)

It will take me a lot of time, and I'll have a lot of questions.

And one more - as I understand links to ebay/amazon/other on-line shops should not be posted?
Why? Because it could be very good help for me : e.g "you can buy part .... there: http:// .... "

And again - I'm sorry for my English, I hope you'll understand me and will not be very angry for my mistakes.

BTW, if someone needs parts for Russian cars or trucks I can try to help.

Last edited:

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I'd say since he hasn't been on here in a little over a year, his truck might be getting used, abused or blown up in Kharkov. Not trying to make light of the situation but it's pretty bad over there.

Time for use to go back to rotating thumbs.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks