• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Cummins HMMWV project in the works!

Oldvw2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks great Chris - glad to see that all of that hard work has paid off! Truck sounds sweet pulling the grade in front of the house.
Chad

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
What a manly sound that truck makes! Nothing like your first test drive! I bet you still have that grin on your face! Good job!
LOL, yep, still grinning. I didn't mind the cold wind and snow stinging my face nor did I mind the fact that I was sitting on a bucket of drywall mud because I couldn't find my seat brackets. Even my wife was grinning, but that was mostly because she can see the light at the end of the project tunnel and knows she'll be getting her parking spot in the garage back.

I've been watching the video all day with the sound turned way up. My staff thinks I am nuts!

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I had a good work session today. I fired the Cummins HMMWV up and drove it down the road and back just for fun. Then, I pulled it into the garage nose first so I could fire up the K1 heater and finish some things on the front end. First, I welded up a mount for my intercooler out of some 1" wide 3/16" steel bar. I fabbed it so it would bolt to the stock holes in the radiator. After that, I mounted my new Flex-a-lite 4126 transmission cooler. It measures 10x20x3/4" and is rated for a GVW of 26k lbs. I used a roll of Hayden HD rubber line to plumb the whole thing from cooler to trans and t-case. Once the cooler was done I moved on to replacing the passenger side hood bumper and latch. As cool as it is riding around with a drywall bucket for a seat, I decided to bolt in actual seat. It sure made the next test drive a lot more comfortable! Last thing I did today was install a new hood harness and my LED headlights. I took it for a drive down the road after dark and those lights are really bright! The quality of the light reminds me of the HID lights in the wife's SUV. I like 'em!

Attachments

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Two more pics for y'all! One of the front with the new LED lights and a shot of the rear. I got my taillights hooked up and then took it for about a 5 mile test drive. I am very pleased to report that nothing fell off or blew up while I was out. Can't wait to fix a few leaks and finish the lights so I can go for a more extended test drive.

Attachments

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
More pics after my weekend work session. Got the top frame, top, doors and windshields installed. The top frame and windshields were no fun because half of the riv-nuts were stripped out or had broken off screws in them! I ended up drilling the top bracket holes in the b-pillar clear through to the inside and secured them with bolts. I had to drill new holes and use self-tappers for much of the windshield molding. Finally got it wrapped up in time to test drive in the snow. It was pretty toasty in the cab considering I still don't have my engine cover modified to fit. At least I can watch for oil leaks while I'm going down the road! LOL

Attachments

nattieleather

Was that a commercial (civy) truck that you fixed up or was it a mill truck that someone had civilianized? Looks good cept for those rims... :lol: I'm sure you'll be fixing that.... ;)

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Was that a commercial (civy) truck that you fixed up or was it a mill truck that someone had civilianized? Looks good cept for those rims... :lol: I'm sure you'll be fixing that.... ;)
It is a 1985 ex-USMC HMMWV. The guy I got it from media blasted the tub and had it painted with Dupont Imron metallic black with silver accents. I am going to leave the black and paint anything that is silver with flat black paint.

My 24-bolt rims will look much beefier than the 1-piece steel rims, but they'll do for test driving. I'm trying to decide on tires now. I am looking at some 39x13.50 or 38x15.50's right now. I also need to order some PVC beadlock inserts. They are a lot lighter than the solid rubber ones and I don't want the runflat option.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Nice. To bad the rims wont fit my M37 with M880 axles... :)
Yeah they'd look sweet on a M37!

I have the 24 bolt with bf's and I love them. They wear fast though. 10k miles and I can tell already.
I have read that they have a fairly soft tread compound. I may have to upgrade to 17" wheels one of these days so I can run the 40" BFG's.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Got some more work done over the weekend thanks to some help from my brother and dad. They installed the front LED composites and bolted up some mirrors while I spliced in the turn signal flasher harness and installed the flasher. Thankfully, it was easy to install the harness since I only had to trace 2 wires back to the turn signal switch plug. Much easier than splicing in a headlight switch connector like I did on the 925A2! I also installed the second LED taillight so now I have working LED's all the way around except for the marker lights. I need to find a good deal on a set of those. We tested the lighting system out when we finished and everything worked! The lights looked great during a late night test drive last night. Those LED headlights really throw the light.

I also got the front output seal on the t-case replaced. It wasn't too bad of a job. I made sure the mating surfaces were super clean and used some RTV behind the yoke nut to prevent seepage. It was nice and dry after our test drive.

One thing I do know is I need to install a governor spring kit on my P7100 pump. It doesn't take long for the governor to kick in and start de-fueling the engine.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
One thing I forgot to mention is the little green LED light that I put in the turn signal switch. I read a report on the TruckLight website that said the LED signals may malfunction because of a back-feed situation through the incandescent bulb. They recommended replacing the bulb with a: LED BAYONET BASED T3-1/4 24V GRN Manufacturer Part Number: 18602351. I bought mine from Electronic Components Distributor | DigiKey Corp. | US Home Page. That bulb is BRIGHT. No way I will ever forget to turn off my blinker. :mrgreen:

jwaller

there is a different flasher specifically for the LED lights. If you use the std flasher with led's they either won't blink at all or very quickly.

nattieleather

That's good to know. On my M37 project I'm going with LED front and rear lights and I was going to just pick up the stock mill flasher box and control arm. So now I know I need to add the LED in there to make them work. Thanks for the info!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks