• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Dash Layout in the works……

Third From Texas

Wonder if Freightliner Daimler-Benz has some sort of "flat panel dash" on one of their trucks? As many trucks as they build, you would think they would have the latest and greatest in fancy. They are building prototypes of their self-driving trucks. Makes you wonder if that might be something we might look at...?
If you have an A1 or A1R truck it's pretty easy to pull tons of telemetry from the ECU and display it on monitor(s). Most diagnostic devices with Bluetooth can push display data to a laptop, tablet, or Arduino-driven display. Hell, you could throw it up on a smart TV if you wanted. There's no shortage of display options.

Third From Texas

All,

Does anyone have any opinions on what other gauges they would add of any? I have 1-2 open depending on if I add a second fuel gauge. That is still a remaining question. I am contemplating a CTIS pressure gauge, EGT, transmission temp, indoor/outdoor temperature, charging amps…..

can someone comment on this?
Thanks!
Tough call.

Some useful info there. I'd likely stick to engine/trans/truck stuff.

Weather stations make a nice separate addon, IMO. I'd do that elsewhere myself.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wonder if Freightliner Daimler-Benz has some sort of "flat panel dash" on one of their trucks? As many trucks as they build, you would think they would have the latest and greatest in fancy. They are building prototypes of their self-driving trucks. Makes you wonder if that might be something we might look at...?
I cant pay for a single round gauge now ! Let alone a space ship dash ! you saw the last instrument console i installed on my dash was a wooden box with amazon rocker switches and a cigar lighter . lol

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All,

Does anyone have any opinions on what other gauges they would add of any? I have 1-2 open depending on if I add a second fuel gauge. That is still a remaining question. I am contemplating a CTIS pressure gauge, EGT, transmission temp, indoor/outdoor temperature, charging amps…..

can someone comment on this?
Thanks!
A dump switch for the black water tank or a switch that turns on a red overhead light for use while driving and lit on your dash for such occasions at night . Or motorized passenger side mirror /passenger ejection seat / oil slick /smoke getaway switch

ramdough

A dump switch for the black water tank or a switch that turns on a red overhead light for use while driving and lit on your dash for such occasions at night . Or motorized passenger side mirror /passenger ejection seat / oil slick /smoke getaway switch
thanks Chucky, but I have all of my switches selected. I have not finalized my gauges though.

Ronmar

I ditched the filter-minder gauge for primary fuel pressure. I dropped out the round voltmeter for a dual led display unit that fits in a switch hole, and used the round opening to add engine oil temp.

Over on the left I put in a dual needle air gauge and standalone low air switches to replace the gauge sensors. Moved the fuel gauge up to the middle and put in a trans oil temp gauge on the bottom next to the trans control…
If I put in another fuel tank, I think I would just put in a gauge tank select sw or tie it into the tank select valve control if used.

The 3lever light sw has a 2position dimmer in it. I used mine for a bit but now have a different sw so need a new standalone dimmer as I prefer a dark pilothouse:).

Here is my A0 dash makeover walk-thru vid

Last edited:

ramdough

I ditched the filter-minder gauge for primary fuel pressure. I dropped out the round voltmeter for a dual led display unit that fits in a switch hole, and used the round opening to add engine oil temp.

Over on the left I put in a dual needle air gauge and standalone low air switches to replace the gauge sensors. Moved the fuel gauge up to the middle and put in a trans oil temp gauge on the bottom next to the trans control…
If I put in another fuel tank, I think I would just put in a gauge tank select sw or tie it into the tank select valve control if used.

The 3lever light sw has a 2position dimmer in it. I used mine for a bit but now have a different sw so need a new standalone dimmer as I prefer a dark pilothouse:).

Here is my A0 dash makeover walk-thru vid
Did you by chance post the schematic for your setup?

Ronmar

Did you by chance post the schematic for your setup?
Schematics? We don’t use no stinking schematics:) to which setup are you referring? This kind of progressed as a series of small phases. The new gauges are all mechanical except the two oil temp units and the fuel gauge. I used existing gauge lighting power feeds for the new gauge lights. The two temp gauges are 24V units so I used existing gauge power feeds for them But switched their bulbs to 12V just like the original gauges were configured. I converted the work light relay to a 12V ignition relay(did a video on that) and it feeds switched power for the fuel and CTIS gauges and anything else I want to feed 12v ign power to, so no real changes to existing wiring there.

The biggest change was for the light sw. For that I simply picked out the power, park dash and headlight lines out of the original headlight sw harness wiring and connected them to the new switch contacts. The brake light circuit I hardwired so they will work like any other vehicle. Going to re-purpose the blackout circuits for area/rock lighting eventually. all in all not much changed though…

ramdough

Schematics? We don’t use no stinking schematics:) to which setup are you referring? This kind of progressed as a series of small phases. The new gauges are all mechanical except the two oil temp units and the fuel gauge. I used existing gauge lighting power feeds for the new gauge lights. The two temp gauges are 24V units so I used existing gauge power feeds for them But switched their bulbs to 12V just like the original gauges were configured. I converted the work light relay to a 12V ignition relay(did a video on that) and it feeds switched power for the fuel and CTIS gauges and anything else I want to feed 12v ign power to, so no real changes to existing wiring there.

The biggest change was for the light sw. For that I simply picked out the power, park dash and headlight lines out of the original headlight sw harness wiring and connected them to the new switch contacts. The brake light circuit I hardwired so they will work like any other vehicle. Going to re-purpose the blackout circuits for area/rock lighting eventually. all in all not much changed though…
sorry, I meant for your CTIS switches.

on another update…. I bought nice new 5mm screws for my light switches…. They must be 10-32 instead. Reveal will wait until I get new bolts……

Ronmar

sorry, I meant for your CTIS switches.

on another update…. I bought nice new 5mm screws for my light switches…. They must be 10-32 instead. Reveal will wait until I get new bolts……
Oh for CTIS, not yet. There is one for the original design on Youtube, that works fine. but I modified it to include a latching relay circuit. was sketching out another that uses a SCR instead of a relay, then had yet another idea that I have not had a chance to run to ground yet… some days I really wish more of my time was my own…

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks