• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Deuce owner finally in NV!!! See what ya think?

bigbird189

I am now a proud owner of 1981 Deuce. It came from the local fire department as a brush truck. I paid 2,500 for it all. Tell me of what you think. It runs great and only issue it has is the Master Cylinder is leaking somewhere but I will check that out through other threads. Even the siren works and pump and tank. I think I did alright. While I am not fan of the yellow but nothing with some paint should fix that. Well I am interested in your comments, concerns, or questions. It was christmas for me today. I had to wait all day to get it. Well let me know. Thanks!

Attachments

Artisan

CONGRATS! ...and you know what? You should name it, now get ready for this,
indert drum roll here; BIGBIRD! Man! That thing, sure is....YELLOW!

I think you did exceptionally well if it is all there and all works!

bigbird189

CONGRATS! ...and you know what? You should name it, now get ready for this,
indert drum roll here; BIGBIRD! Man! That thing, sure is....YELLOW!

I think you did exceptionally well if it is all there and all works!

You know what? I am going to call it BIGBIRD. Thanks for the advice! LOL

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I think you did pretty well.

You can sell the bed and gear, buy a dropside and do a bed swap/upgrade all at once.

Throw some green on it and :driver:

A very good buy considering the pump, tank and winch. Can you use the tank it to store fuel? If so you could really take advantage of the multi fuel engine if you had or could find a waste oil source.

bigbird189

A very good buy considering the pump, tank and winch. Can you use the tank it to store fuel? If so you could really take advantage of the multi fuel engine if you had or could find a waste oil source.

Well I don't really know about the fuel but its water tank, but I suppose I could if put some type of coating inside the water tank but I don't how exactly to do that. but It is a good thought.

AZdeuce5t

i like the fuel tanks idea. they make Integral fuel tank coating that you paint the inside after a through cleaning!

Curiosity, is it legal for you to drive it displaying the yellow light and having a functioning siren? i know your in NV but here in AZ we cant display a red lens to the front or even have a functioning siren on the vehicle.(i don't mean turning it on, but merely having it on the truck in a functional manor)

bigbird189

i like the fuel tanks idea. they make Integral fuel tank coating that you paint the inside after a through cleaning!

Curiosity, is it legal for you to drive it displaying the yellow light and having a functioning siren? i know your in NV but here in AZ we cant display a red lens to the front or even have a functioning siren on the vehicle.(i don't mean turning it on, but merely having it on the truck in a functional manor)

Sadly no it is not legal here. But I will take it off here soon. Gotta get the brakes fixed first. Thanks for the idea, but The tank and pump are up for sale. I will keep the siren on but I will relocate it so it is not visible. aua

quickfarms

Here in CA I do not think it is legal but if you keep it as a fire truck and use it for shows and parades they will not bother you. If you put a cargo bed on it then change the lens to amber and paint the siren I'd to match the truck and use it in parades

o1951

I think YOU GOT A DEAL!!!!
Tires look to be excellent.
Vehicle looks well cared for.
They already did the hard work. No visible rust.
Looks GREAT.
Interior and seats are nice.

I would strip off and sell the Fire equipment, get some Behr latex, roller and brushes and paint it back to military again. There are detailed threads on painting with housepaint, and results look very good. They say scratch/scrape touchup is a breeze.

May I suggest you NOT "keep the siren and relocate it so not visible". If it is there, the temptation to use it will be irresistable. ( don't ask how I know)

Last edited:

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
very nice truck. I think it's a great deal considering it is in nice shape, runs good, has a winch, has plenty of parts to sell if you choose to take it back to Mil. specs. etc. Nice truck!

bigbird189

Where in Nevada do you live?
Live in Panaca.

I will eventually change the color back to military Thank you for your comments. As for the siren I will keep it because its an older style and yeah it is hard not to play with it but I will try real hard not to. Too bad I couldn't of got it sooner to paint it though. I don't have a garage big enough to work on it during the winter. Its in pretty condition for the most part. It does have a couple of issues that I will need to work out. The brake master cylinder leaks, The instrument lights don't work. Some of exterior lights don't work with other funtions like the blinkers don't work when brakes are press or sometimes not at all or brake lights don't work with blinkers on either. but I am sure more will pop up as I mess around with more. I have alot to learm and I will search on the threads for answers.

If you decide to make the tank a fuel tank, you will open a whole new can of worms. Any tank over 119 gallons will require placcards and if you have a placcard then you need a hazmat endorsement on your license. Your other option is to get it ready for next fire season and rent yourself out to BLM and pay for the truck several times over. I am really surprised that they left the siren and lights on. That looks like an old growler siren. Those are pretty cool. Good luck.

If you decide to make the tank a fuel tank, you will open a whole new can of worms. Any tank over 119 gallons will require placcards and if you have a placcard then you need a hazmat endorsement on your license.
I don't think that would be the case though if he removed the tank from the truck. That is what I originally had in mind when I suggested using the tank to hold WMO.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks