• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New from TX with 5 ton M925 driving home

3poffroad

Hey guys, just bought my first 5 ton from GovPlanet. It's a 1984 M925 with the big NA motor and duals. I'm picking it up Wednesday. It shows to run and drive and I feel I got it cheap. 4 grand. I have to drive this thing home. 200 miles. Already have insurance on it, and I have my class a CDL. Anything to look for before I make the trek? I'm new to this. But not new to diesels or mechanical. I own an off-road shop here in Houston.

Just mainly looking for advice or "to dos" before driving it home.

I look forward to this new hobby and learning everything I can!
truck.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Plane Fast

The truck looks good.(needs a bath) The only thing I see so far, is the top will not make the trip with out securing the leading edge. For some reason the gas peddle looks flat. (No travel) Could just be the camera angle.
As always check all the fluids (diff, tran, engine,..etc.) I would bring two batteries to be on the safe side. (The truck has something about jumpstart written over the GP sticker.

Plane Fast

I would live at 55 or less, and check the brakes extra good!

You may want to get a replacement mirror as well for the broken ones. It's hard enough to see with good ones.

Last edited:

m715mike

Howdy from just north of Cypress, Texas.

Good luck on the recovery. Keep us posted on the progress.

I saw that two.fiveM35 shared a link for the upcoming Texas Rally on April 1st. That weekend is always a good time. I hope you are able to make it and bring your new truck.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What's about the top (safe) speed of this truck? I'm taking back roads back home till I get accustomed to.driving it
I have the same truck. Check all the engine fluids, lights, and ensure the air system (primary/secondary) stay pressurized
and recover after braking. Test the brakes a lot before rolling home. Fill the tank with fresh diesel, add Power Service Diesel Klean. Drain water separator in left front fender well. Bring the front tire up to 90 psi. keep the back at 70psi.
It will cruise at 58 -60 mph easy. Take the highway, it needs a good hot run. Watch over pass expansion joints, let off before them or the rears will want to bounce around. (no weight on them). Run with your lights on. Take pictures and a credit card. NHC 250s love to run. When you get it home change the engine oil, and fluids in the transfer and diffs.
I have the spin on oil filter adapter kit listed in the classifieds, a must for future filter changes. Be safe, have fun.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks