• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New from WI

Woodsman

Hi guys. I found this site while looking for sources of info & availability on M1009's. Having had a civvie version of these vehicles back in the day I've recently started to look for a diesel powered vehicle to use as an every day driver. While surfing the CUCV forums for the last few nights I was looking for information on peoples first experiences with these vehicles and items to watch out for and check before driving off, so to speak. Instead of continuing to lurk, I thought I might as well register so I could post some questions and perhaps save some heartburn on purchasing one of these rides. A couple of points I did see were to: check electrical & replace anything rubber. Realizing this is an introduction thread I'll keep the other stuff out of here. Hopefully everyone has the patience of a saint!!

Woodsman

Wow, that's fast! Updated location info. Don't worry, no one can wreck something I don't have ...yet. I'm trying to familiarize myself with these before I pull out the checkbook.

Sorry, I thought the rules required more than just a "state".
Location: We require that all members include their state in their new member profile.
My mistake, but it is nice to know where you are from.
Once again, welcome. But watch out for Kenny.:lol:

lacoda56

Welcome to the loony bin! While there's been some progress on the licensing issue in Wis., as far as I know, M1008 and M1009 vehicles can still only be licensed for parade use only. You might want to do some checking before you buy.

poof

Dirty Hippie
Hello.. Welcome and your welcome to come to Poof-stock.. week end of May 1st
get some first hand looks and meet some of us fello Cheeseheads.
J.P.

Westech

CPL
Here is the deal with the WI DOT...... if you want the HMV plates get them if you dont.. You dont have to. How do I know.... Just went in with a SF97 again and came out with a WI title no questions asked besides " do you want truck plates for that?" If you buy your CUCV from a NON SF97 place (IE non government) you are able to get car (for blazer) and B truck (for pick up) regular plates no questions asked. . I have never had one single problem in WI getting plates, titles, insurance, any type I want. I think its on how people are acting at the counter. If you act like a know it all A hole there going to F you! If you go in and just play the game, ask for what you want, you will get it. I have even gone in with a SF97 NOT in my name and walked out with a WI title and 20K truck plates for my 5 ton. I just see a lot of people having issues and I cant figure out why. I remember Ron was having a problem titling his 5 ton so I took it to a "friend" and poof.. done. I do believe there are counter people that know NOTHING and should be moping the bathroom (but you have that everywhere), but if your having trouble.. leave and go to a different DOT. its not agenst the law.. its just on what the person knows.

And welcome. If you need help with a cucv I am kinda the cucv guru around these parts.

Kenny stay away from my CUCV you jerk.... you cost me 250 bucks already.......

Rant Over.

Love Westy

Last edited:

Woodsman

Thanks for the welcome guys. I take Kenny has made rep for himself, huh?:p

Thanks for the update on the WI DOT situation also Westy. At this point I'm still trying to source a decent ride. Not wanting to get reprimanded at such an early date what is the best to ask questions around? I've been searching for things to be aware of on a M1009 to fix, check, or repair first. Is there a thread I've missed or should I just dive in and ask away?

Monty

Welcome to the site, there's a ton of information on the site so you should have plenty to read up on before you make a purchase.

If you have questions on something use the search feature it can save you alot of time and flaming if it's already been posted before.

To concur on what Westy said I had no problems registering either my 1009/1008, both have truck plates on them.

Again welcome

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks