• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New guy buying a M35A2

JJensen

Hello everyone. I am obviously new here. I just joined a few days ago, but was lurking a while before then. I have spent close to 40 hours on here at night reading everything that I can. Anyway, I am going to pick up my first MV tomorrow. Like so many of the other new guys, it is a M35A2. And also like a lot of the other new guys, I’m going to bob it. LOL. Seriously. The only time that I will drive it un-bobbed will be on the 5 hour trip home. I know that this offends some, and for that I apologize.

I am buying it from a small car dealer. He has had a few and sold this one to a friend of his a year ago. That guy decided that he needed to sell it, so I’m buying it if it is in good condition. I was referred to him by another member on here that bought a good truck from him. This truck is supposedly much nicer. We’ll see how accurate he is, but he says the truck is the best one that he has ever had. It is a hardtop, wo/w, new cargo cover (that I won’t be using), heat, electric wipers.

This is already a long first post, but I figured I might as well get some of the upcoming “FNG” questions out of the way.

Yes, I have driven a large truck before. I have a CDL, air brake endorsement. I have been driving large trucks since 1999. I own a Kenworth T300 for my roll-off dumpster business. I drive 8-10 hours a day, 6 days a week.

Yes I can work on vehicles. I do all of the maintenance and small repairs on my KW, as well as my Dodge diesel, and every other car or truck that I have owned for the last 18 years.

Am I prepared for the trip back? Yes. I think... I have brake fluid, funnel, bag full of all basic hand tools, flashlight, zip ties, oil, gear lube, diesel fuel, air bubble, bottle jack, ¾” drive socket set, ratchets, breaker bars, and ear protection.

The truck has been driven regularly for the last year. It is supposed to be road ready, but I will still do a thorough inspection, especially the brake circuits, prior to leaving there.

So that is it. I will start bobbing it next week. I am using front springs and hangers, cutting down a stock bed, doing 395’s, HEMMT wheels probably, hub flip. Also at that time I will do a complete rebuild/inspection of the bearings, brakes, wheel cylinders, all fluids changed, filters, etc… I will also be adding a brake fluid reservoir prior to returning the truck to the road.

I know that I will have questions coming soon, but I will do my best to find the answer using the search function.

Sorry for the long first post.

Last edited:

Kpeterson

Good luck on the drive, I picked up mine last week. My drive home was only 20 miles so I did not bother with support items. I would add wire and basic electrical repair stuff to your list. Don't forget to take photos of the trip.

Kerry P

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Good to have another member in the KC area. If you don't mind a "gawker" I would like to come by and see some of the work after you get going. I could use the cargo cover also. Jim

JJensen

Thanks guys. Well my friend that was supposed to be going with me is a no show. I've been waiting for an extra hour, so I am leaving without him. My fiance will drive my dodge back. If I have any problems, I've got a semi with a flatbed in KC on standby.

I'm looking forward to starting this new hobby.

I've been racing high end race cars for a long time. This will be a nice change of pace.

MWMULES, you are more than welcome to come by any time. I'll let you know about the condition of the cargo cover. It is supposedly new.

I'll let you guys know how it all went in hopefully 10-12 hours from now.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Contrary to what most folks would think, no problems with your actions. Good luck. Be safe and stay in the right lane. Good luck.

JJensen

Well, I got back to KC about 3 hours ago. What was supposed to be a 9-10 hour trip turned out to be a 27 hour ordeal. It's a very long story but....

The truck is in very good condition. It started instantly, good oil pressure, drove great, shifted great, really good power etc...

Truck had a major problem about 2 hours into the trip home, and whatever it was locked up hard enough to kill the engine and prevent it from cranking. After talking with the owner, he gave me $1000 back, which he definitely didn't have to do. That was a VERY respectable thing to do. He did this because he was actually selling it for his friend, whom I met also. He made $1K on the deal, so he gave his profit back to me. I know that they had no way to know that something would go wrong. Both were great guys and loved these trucks. This had been his personal truck for over a year. He was sad to see it go.

So my friend brought a gooseneck and a F450 at about 1am today. Then his low mileage truck broke down about an hour into the trip back home. We had to disconnect, and drive all the way back to KC to get a Semi. Drove back towards St. Louis, got the truck, and finally got home around 2:30.

I almost never have vehicle problems, and never have bad luck, so I guess I was due. I'm not disappointed in my decision at all. I've already started diagnosing the potential issue. I'll start a new thread in the Deuce forum and see if I can get some expert advice.

Here are the required pics:

And this last one was after 5 miles of mud roads to get it back to my friend's farm

Pooch1128

Well it sounds like Mr. Murphy strikes again, it's not you it's the MV curse. Read just about any recovery thread on the site and you will see that old man Murphy has a way of showing up. Any ways glad you made it home and the truck looks great.....

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Welcome to the Deuce team. Sorry to hear about the issues you had. When you get a chance, let us know what happened.

So from what you said the engine cut out and would not start. Was it able to turn over and was failing to start or did it not even turn over?

Regards

CARNAC