• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New guy here, thinking of buying a CUCV

Glockamolie

That's my auto auction experience, too. You just never know why one goes high or low. I figure at that price, if it's too far gone and I just get rid of it or part it out that I'll recoup my money, or make some. I can't wait to get it!

JSF01

Well, I either got a good deal, or now have a parts truck. I won this one for $840 + 10%. I wonder why it went cheaper than the rest? It looks ok in and out. What's the verdict?
From those pictures it does not look to bad. I'd say That even if it has some serious problems you could probably pull off $1000 worth of parts off of it as replacement parts for your next one.

tequilaiam

It's probably worth $800 for the scrap metal alone.

Speaking of which, if you want to take care of a lot of the little stuff that may be wrong, try a pick-n-pull yard. I've had great luck at those for little stupid things like gauges, vent windows and the like that aren't always on ebay cheap when you want them.

DXTAC

I bought mine just released from the government through a private party for $3100. My dad wanted one so we watched GL and went to Ft. Mcoy WI and inspected the lot of 25 or so that were on auction at the time and he created a list of the top 4 he would be interested in. He ended up buying the one he wanted for $3000. His had a new exhaust, alternators, some sort of spray in bedliner, starter, spare tire and a few other minor items. He was happy. Going through GL takes time and LOTS of patience but well worth it. If you can't see it and inspect it, DON'T buy it! His had all the fluids still in it and I would be wary if they are dry, LOTS of gaskets and seals to go bad there.

Hope this helps,

Glockamolie

I bought mine sight unseen for a grand total of $924 with the fee. It's costing me about $270 to get it home, so I don't think I'll hurt myself too much with $1200 total in it. I'll let you know Saturday afternoon when it gets here!

robertss

Well, I either got a good deal, or now have a parts truck. I won this one for $840 + 10%. I wonder why it went cheaper than the rest? It looks ok in and out. What's the verdict?

If you bought from Saginaw, I think I actually got the cheapest one in the lot. I bought the one with the PS door removed. I recovered it on Tuesday.
Even thought it said all fluids drained in the auction write up, mine had all fluids, and they looked pretty good. Tires looked good in the pics but were dry rotted and cracked.
Folks there were very nice and helpful. I didnt deal with any GL folks, it was a SSG from the CSMS shop.
I borrowed a tricked out vehicle recovery trailer with winch and tie down tracks, and had the thing loaded in 15 minutes by myself. Ill post my own recovery thread this weekend.

I havent tried to start it yet, I had a friend look it over that is well versed with these things and he noted a couple of things right away to address before turning the key. There is some wiring disconnected on the fire wall and it was missing the under dash starter relay. I bought 2 new Group 31s and a relay today. Couldnt install since TS Issac finally arrived. Maybe this weekend.
This is my 4th GL purchase, but first CUCV. other three were M101 trailers.

I do believe I will never self recover an auction item that is 6.5 hours from my home in the middle of a work week.

Glockamolie

Yeah, I pretty much disregarded the description, and went on what I can see. I hope mine is in similar condition, still having fluids in it. Good luck with yours! I'd like to see how yours comes along. I'll post mine back in this thread.

MarcusOReallyus

Yeah, I pretty much disregarded the description, and went on what I can see.

Yeah, good idea. Those descriptions can be somewhat.... disconnected from reality.

I told my insurance agent about GL, and he bid on a generator that was described as "needing repairs". But, hey, he got it really cheap. He was the only bidder.

Got it home, and uncrated a brand-spanking new generator! Hadn't even had gas in it!

Why is it those description discrepancies never go that way for me? aua

Oh, well, my 1028 came with 4 good, nearly new, tires, which wasn't mentioned in the description, and it does run, as promised. It's just not drivable! :mrgreen:

Glockamolie

Oh, well, my 1028 came with 4 good, nearly new, tires, which wasn't mentioned in the description, and it does run, as promised. It's just not drivable! :mrgreen:
Yeah, I have 4 new looking (tread-wise, they may not be brand new) Wranglers on this one. They look good.

However, someone was kind enough to slice the fuel filler hose. I poured some perfectly good diesel on the ground. It doesn't look fun to get to the hose connection on top of the tank. Otherwise, I filled it with oil and coolant, and put on a fuel filter. I may do the electric fuel pump mod so I don't have to crank it forever to prime. Then I'm going to see what else is wrong.

As a plus, mine didn't come with a key...which led to us pushing it off a car trailer by unhooking the shift linkage under the hood, and putting it in neutral. Then, we couldn't steer it as it dragged the right side tires down the trailer rail. Finally got it off. Then I went to Ace Hardware, that had GM marked key blanks (whereas my local dealer did not). Took THE code and key blank to the local Chevy dealership, and the guy cut the blank for me. He was about to close, so he tossed me the key and said no charge. :)

Last edited:

Glockamolie

OK, so I know it runs. I did the electric fuel pump mod, and temporarily ran it straight to the battery just to get it primed and going. I think I'll like that mod. The things I noted are:

1. The crank pulley wobbles a tad. It's not all over the place, but I can see it. Harmonic balancer time? From what I've read I should do that regardless.
2. I need some new belts...and probably everything else rubber, except for the tires.
3. The trans doesn't want to engage very well in Drive or Reverse. I added fluid, but will look into it further. I'm tired for the day.
4. I put in fresh engine oil (it was drained), and it already turned dark. Is that from residual junk, or diesel getting in the crankcase?

Enjoy my video...

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks