• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Guy Looking at M 37 junk yard find, advice wanted

windage

Hey guys, been reading a while, but just signed up recently. Been chasing a few M 37's around locally and found one in a bone yard; 1954 T-245, ORD CORP.
(they had another, but already crushed her, :cry:)
She is on good rubber, missing cloth top and tailgate, but....
Will make an offer soon, we'll see what it takes to buy her.
Will try to post pics. I see some iron in the bed, are they troop bench mounts?
Yard said engine started and truck drove around lot.
My first stab at buying M37, wish me luck! Give me input about what I am looking at here..point out the weaknesses..
thanks!
PICT0279.jpg

PICT0313.jpg

PICT0298.jpg

PICT0282.jpg

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd start at $1000 on that truck and go from there. It's worth it easily in parts, worst case scenario. I doubt the junkman can get that for its carcass.

Welcome to the disease.

vtdeucedriver

Your stealing it if its south of a grand!! That does not look bad. The hood is a little beat and I cant tell if the front fenders have the typical rot under the headlight buckets (they now make repair pieces for that) The iron in the bed is for the bed racks....I could not tell if the seat frame work is there also. That tool box looks minty!!! They usually rot along the hinge line. Another sweet spot is along the edge where the rear fenders bolt to the bed side.
I could not see the cab but another location that gets rusty are the cab corners and down along the flat of the door rocker. There is a door seal that holds water, esp when there is no top like that one.
if you want more info on the M-37, go to the www.g741.org
were all about M-37's over there.

If you got any more question, feel free to shoot me a E-mail at vtdeucedriver@yahoo.com

3dAngus

Yeah, I'm jealous. I want a M-37.
My foundation is being poured in the next day or two for my 3 car garage. I might be able to make room for one then, but still have to many cars. Oh the horror.....

3dAngus

Papabear!!!! You have multiple M-37's???

I just got to get down there to see you. How many do you have? Any for sale?

windage

Dude I am Ripley, I have M37 about the same ship and couple real crappy ones, I was out in rome looking a 59 english ford consul. I got 3 for 600 last summer
Thanks for your reply, Ripley.
Years ago there was a mayor of Ripley OH, that drove an M-37 around town...HIS ride was my first peek at the M-37 and my influence to learn about these things...You know him?
Are those 3 your first, or do you have others...any winch trucks you would part with?
Roger

Dodge man

Congradulations! I hope you get it. I bought my first M-37 (from Craigslist) last year. I think $1k is more than a fair price for the scrap yard. They obviously don't put much value on them since they crushed the other one. Oh and BTW, the ALL ran at one time! So don't take their suggestion that it still runs. CHECK and see if the engine is locked up! Those parts in the back look like the stakes for the wooden bed sides. Take EVERY piece of metal that's in the truck and anywhere around it with and don't dispose of them until you're sure of what they are. You never know what might turn out to be made of unobtainium!

Definitely join the G741 group. You'll get a lot more detailed info there than here. Even if you don't get the truck, TRY to get the information off of it and enter it into the G741 registry. Even if the truck gets crushed, it's information will help clarify the history of the M-37s.

Keep us posted!!

windage

Going to go back today to take another peek and more pics of the details you guys have made me aware of...
2 guys think the iron is bed rack uprights....
thanks

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Papabear!!!! You have multiple M-37's???

I just got to get down there to see you. How many do you have? Any for sale?
3dAngus, I have 1 M37 and 2 M43's, Doc has the M42 and an M715, and Troy has 2 or 3 project M37's.

You are welcome to come down nearly any Saturday, just let me know.:beer:

However...nothing is for sale!!:deadhorse:

jimmcld

We did an M37 a couple of years ago. The only problem with them is that there are no NOS parts still available. The hardest part to find has been the fuel tank. We still have not found one.

The metal on the one in the pictures looks great from what I can tell.

Cav Trooper

M37

Welcome,

I hope you can get that beauty. We need more of them down here in the SW Ohio area. I only know of one other so far and he doesn't drive his. I'm waiting for a little warmer weather to start tinkering again.

ranger.41

Windage
There are M-37's out there, are you looking to do a total tear down restoration? or do you want to clean it up and use it now? Drive it your self, check and see if everything works. There are two schools of thought Buy the best you can afford, or buy a truck that needs a total restoration. It depends what you want to do with it. It almost always cost more to buy a less expensive truck and buy parts for it. But you know what you have when you are done with it.
How are the brakes? the wiring harness? need a top? Is there any rust? Most all M-37's that are sitting out side will need these things.
ranger.41

southdave

Thanks for your reply, Ripley.
Years ago there was a mayor of Ripley OH, that drove an M-37 around town...HIS ride was my first peek at the M-37 and my influence to learn about these things...You know him?
Are those 3 your first, or do you have others...any winch trucks you would part with?
Roger
Yes I do very well, I got some of his left overs lol... the one he has Gamma goat motor in you can hear it from 5 mi away lol. No winches sorry.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks