• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Guy Looking at M 37 junk yard find, advice wanted

windage

Thanks again guys for the insight in what to look for...if anyone knows where I can read a "primer" on the weaknesses of these criters, point me to it. I was hoping there was a "sticky" somewhere, but have yet to locate that.
My intention is to have a beater to use locally, haul, drag and generally abuse. I don't intend to take to the highway, therefore, beyond the essentials of fair handling, braking and fun, not much modification is in order.
I took another look at it today and got the bottom dollar it takes...a grand...but he will trade iron in the deal, so I may have to start scrounging around the yard and get rid of 5 or 6 iron bathtubs I have been saving..

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That looks pretty impressive! And the price seems very fair. What is your experience/skills/tools in relation to a complete rebuild or is that your plan?

Rick

windage

OK, should have searched around first before I asked that question. Found ARB air lockers to be the most highly recommended units, front and rear...cost each is what I may pay for the truck, but such is life in the fast lane...

vtdeucedriver

Well if your going to use her as a run around truck, it will work for you. Get her home and like what was mentioned before.......SAVE EVERYTHING IN THE BED until identified with better pics. The troop seat frames are hard to come by even if you dont use them right away.
If she runs good and goes down the road and you want to make a driver out of it, do yourself a favor and even thought you may have brakes now..........gut the entire brake system and either rebuild or replace your master and wheel cylinders and BUY new brake lines!!!!! You are going to find that the M-37 brakes are marginal at best when NEW, you will want the security that you have good new seals and good solid lines! TRUST ME ON THIS!!!! That truck will destroy one of todays cars if you hit it because of no brakes.

windage

That looks pretty impressive! And the price seems very fair. What is your experience/skills/tools in relation to a complete rebuild or is that your plan?

Rick
I am not too bad in the cut/weld/ fab area and minored in engine/running gear systems....my questions about this unit are really more to get an idea of relativity...(how does it rate amoung it's peers). When getting into an area of unknown to me, I try to discover as much as I can before I jump. Now, I realize that $1,000 purchase price is not a huge jump, but based on the inherent strengths or weaknesses of the truck, may just be the "tip of the iceburg".

My plans are to go through the brakes, paint it with a brush and drive it. Then later look at lockers and a diesel.

Dodge man

The M-37 is highly regarded as an off road vehicle. Except for special designed and built vehicles such as Pinzgauzers and Unimogs, there's few that can match it. On the road it's a different story. It's a lot like a Deuce but smaller. Top speed 45 MPH with poor braking and handling, manual shifting with only the top gear being synchronized, no heat, no AC and heavy manual steering. With the poor braking and over 5,000 pounds weight and as solid as they're built they can be fatal to lesser cars! If you want to make it truely road worthy then you should strongly consider adding power steering and disk brakes. Take a look at this http://www.garbee.net/~cabell/ site. He's done an outstanding job of modernizing one. There's also a very useful site by a guy that's modernized three Dodge Power Wagons (the civie version of the M-37) but I'd have to look for the link to it. Lockers aren't necessary IMO unless you're going to do some serious off-roading and there are other updates that should be done first.

Most M-37 experts say that you should replace ALL the brake lines and hoses as well as the fuel line as one of the first things that you do in order to eliminate numerous problems. While you're at it you might as well remove and clean the fuel tank and rebuild or replace the master cylinder, all the wheel cylinders and all the brake shoes. AND while you have the wheels off you may as well replace or repack all the bearings and probably replace all the axle boots and seals.

You are correct that $1k is only the tip of the iceberg! You have a lot of work and expense ahead of you! You'll be on a first name basis with the parts vendors before you're finished! [thumbzup]

pwrwagonfire

$1000 for this is definitely decent! I noticed you took a picture of the inside of the toolbox (compartment) right behind the door; in my experience those are a place which usually rusts out, and yours looks good

I second what vtdeucedriver says, I went through and replaced the entire brake system this summer, good to be safe!

Good luck, I hope you get it, and keep posting pictures of the progress these are FUN trucks

m376x6

Both third and fourth gears are synchronized in both early and late New Process transmissions. Neither first nor second are synchronized. Like the 40 plus Deuces I've owned and the thirty or som M37's, they all have their own personalities. Some will run all day long at 55, some can't find the legs to get to 40. There are some NOS parts available but they are drying up. New manufacture parts are becoming available slowly. They are fun in original condition, but are a real blast with a V8 and power steering and onboard heaters. The stock brakes can be effective, but require a great deal of maintenance under hard usage. I regularly haul 1 ton pallets of wood pellets for the stove in the regualr M37 and two 1 ton pallets in M37 6X6. The 6X6 actually rides fairly smoothly with two pallets.

Milbikes

I have been looking at M37's, and the cheap ones are usually half taken apart, or really rusted, or missing a lot of parts. This one doesn't fall into any of those categories. Up here in new England, it would be gone already at that price.

majorhitt

I have two M37s, like previously mentioned they do have their own personality. Again as mentioned, rust spot to look for, Corners in rear bottom of cab, door bottoms, headlight area, door seal at bottom (saw a little hole in your pic),and cargo storage area. Overall not a bad start. Let us know how you're making out and keep the photos coming.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks