• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Guy trying to get some Info?

sak00

Hey Guys,

I've been thinking about getting a 2.5 ton Duece. I need one like a hole in the head, but I think they are neat. What do I need to know?
Which ones are better than others?
What should I look at when looking at one?
What kind of problems will I face if I get one?

I'm not even sure what to ask, but I want to do my research so I am somewhat intelligent. (Like that will happen)

Thanks in advance for anything you can throw my way!

FreightTrain

Banned
Depends on what your state laws are on Commercial trucks.I know in Bama you don't need a CDL but in The Peoples Replublik Kalifornia you gotta have a Straight truck CDL.The M35A2 is pretty much the do all deuce.Multifuel so you can burn just about anything.Good size bed,Not overly long like the M36 long wheel base(But I would love to have one!).The A2 version has the 465 multifuel.The A1 has the 427 and it is difficult to find parts for.The straight M35 has the gasser engine.The Multi trucks have Overdrive Sycro trannies(2nd-5th,1st and Reverse non syncro) while the gassers have direct drive final.The Multis get much better fuel mileage due to both being a compression fired engine and Overdrive.The Multis also can be had in turbo or non.The 427 had a MONSTER turbo while the 465 has 2 convential sized options.The C is the smaller and a whistler.The D has a larger exhaust side but doesn't whistle.Pretty much the turbos do nothing for power.They only cut back on smoke due to EPA crap.

ida34

Re: RE: New Guy trying to get some Info?

FreightTrain said:
Depends on what your state laws are on Commercial trucks.I know in Bama you don't need a CDL but in The Peoples Replublik Kalifornia you gotta have a Straight truck CDL..
You do not need a CDL if you are not using the truck to make money. California has a non-commercial endorsements for larger trucks but you do not need a CDL. Feel free to check my other rants about the CDL thing.

The bottom line is that I have checked around and no state that I know of requires a person to get a CDL to drive a big truck not being used for commercial purposes. Some, like California require a Non-CDL endorsement for certain vehicles. I feel like I am on a crusade to correct the misinformation. I am a police officer and have been one for some time. I know what I am talking about.

This is not a personal attack on anyone as it seems that a lot of people have this wrong and I don't want wrong information to hold someone back from getting the vehicle they want. Lets get them and drive them.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: New Guy trying to get some Info?

Commercial=Commerce. This is what our commecial enforcement folks look at here in S Fla.

CGarbee

Re: RE: New Guy trying to get some Info?

ida34 said:
You do not need a CDL if you are not using the truck to make money. California has a non-commercial endorsements for larger trucks but you do not need a CDL. Feel free to check my other rants about the CDL thing.
I too rant about the CDL thing...

FWIW: North Carolina also offers NON COMMERCIAL licenses that parallel all the COMMERCIAL classes. Since the testing is the same, as are the fees, I usually suggest to folks that they go ahead and get the Commercial version just so that they can expand their driving flexibility.

There are medical requirements attached to the CDL that are not attached to the non-commercial licenses. But, there are three different exclusions to the CDL medical requirements allowed and I've found that most hobbyist that I have talked to qualify for one of them.

So, I spend a lot of effort telling folks locally that they don't need a CDL , but that it could help them if they find themselves operating in a commercial situation down the road, and that it is just as difficult/easy to get as a Non-CDL license of the same class...

I work for NCDOT and perform the CDL training for my Unit (among other things...). :)

aboonski

RE: Re: RE: New Guy trying to get some Info?

Will the new guy contact me about wanting a nice Deuce. I live on the east coast of Florida right off of I-95. If you want to experience driving a deuce, come over sometime and I'll let you take it for a spin! Mine is an M35A2C with a D turbo, those do not whistle by the way. I just finished putting a new cargo cover and convoy lights on the truck plus all of the tires are like new and it has a winch and hardtop, heater, all sorts of upgrades that I had to install once I obtained the basic truck. My phone number is 321 427-3070 . Alan R. Broadbent

Rattlehead

Welcome to the MV addiction. You wonder now if you need a deuce, but after you get one, you will be convincing yourself that you "need" another MV!

Go to the technical manual section of this site and download some of the M35 manuals. I think the operators manual is here also, reading this stuff will help you get familiar with the trucks.

One thing to consider is if you want a winch. Per your pics, I'm guessing you do! It would be easier to get a truck with winch already installed, as you need the PTO, driveshaft, bumper extensions, shift linkage, and of course the winch.

You can't just go to the local auto parts store and get any part for the truck, but there are also several parts dealers that cater to us. Many of the parts are very reasonable in cost. Military Vehicles Magazine is a great publication, with excellet technical articles, listings of parts dealers, classified ads, etc.

sak00

MV

Thanks for all the info. It helps alot.

My jeep made it through that water hole with no problem. In fact, I've had it with water over the hood and a catfish was stuck squirming around on the hood. It was an accident to be in water that deep, but it made it with only a little water in the carb.

Yea, I think I would like a Truck with a winch as some of the forests around here are quite muddy and deep water during rainy season. I too, lve my warn 8274 winch. It's the best I've had. Takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'.

carguy455

My uncle winters in Brooksville, I have poked around that area a bit, and yes there are some "water hazzards" around there ! What part of town do you reside in ?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Am I crazy for even thinking of getting one in this kind of shape?

Yes, that's a parts truck.

Wait a while, save your money, buy a better truck, then buy that one for spare parts.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks