• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Guy trying to get some Info?

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If'n I had a choice of available standard options..
M35A2 with hardtop, turbo, air-shift transfer, straight drivers seat, 60-amp alternator, wench, new style wiper motors and arms, air lockers, and heater..

-and make sure the heaterducts cross as they should between the underdash box and the dash registers. If not, the passenger will defrost better than the driver, not the best.. It should go left box outlet to right register, and right box outlet to left register.

If it is a good runner and the owner has driven a few thousand miles and drives it frequently.. that counts alot as it will have been debugged. also check the shifting of the transmission, and the amount of noise in 5th gear if it is an OD. 5th is a weak point. check wiring for breaks in rubber casing especially where passing through bulkheads and also at the ends such as turn signal control lever, temp sensor and other places. This can be easily fixed up if you get it before failures occur. check for water in the turn signals and brake lamps.. especially the fronts.. mine leak when it rains and so i drilled a couple 1/8" holes on the bottom to prevent water from collecting (I do not ford)

just some rambling.. like he said: "Wait a while, save your money, buy a better truck, then buy that one for spare parts." Nothing is as important in getting a good, sound truck, even if it cost more.

Hunter2506

I've been thinking about getting a 2.5 ton Duece. I need one like a hole in the head, but I think they are neat
We're in America; need is not a requirement of ownership :wink: The only prerequisits are a desire to own and the funds to purchase.

Which ones are better than others?
I'm also new here and new to the deuce, but my research led me to believe that the deuces with the best combination of features, availability and price are the M35A2 with multifuel turbo engine and air shift transfer case. Unfortunately, I was not able to get the air shift on mine, but I did get the winch.

What should I look at when looking at one?
Again, I'm new to these things, but not to buying and repairing vehicles. Other members will be able to help with the finer points, but I simply checked for major leaks, loose parts, noises, bad wiring or connections, etc. I got lucky, as the truck was in very good shape; I bought from GL and owned it before I ever saw it in person.

What kind of problems will I face if I get one?
Parking and keeping up with traffic!

So forget about needing one and get it because you want one. I lusted after these things for years before I finally had the extra cash to buy one aand a place to keep it. I'm glad I followed through with the dream. Now if I could just fund those 52" hoops.......... :drool:

FreightTrain

Banned
For just a little more you could get a top notch truck straight out of Government surplus.Figure around 1000 bucks for a parts truck,1000-2000 for a good fixer upper(That Ebay truck would fit in the 1000 bucks or less rig),2000-3500 for a Very nice truck,3500-16,000 bucks for a Rust free,Dent free,Full paperwork USAF truck(Yea,one of our own bought a truck with the original "Window sticker" per say for just over 16 grand I think).

sak00

The motor is not froze - just the pump. I have done nothing to it - it literally has sat since I brought it home. I was going to pull the pump and try to free it up, but like I said, ran out of time and interest. It can be titled anywhere - I guess there are some forms to fill out, etc. and as I said, I will provide the government auction bill of sale. I am not sure what you have intended for it, but I doubt it needs much with only 6335 mi and being overhauled in 93 I am no expert on these things (am not trying to skirt your questions) - if you tell me something to look for or to get you a specific picture, I can.

This is the responce I got back. Makes me want to run away screaming like my hair is on fire.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks