• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

new guy with a mep 005a

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK boys and girls, here she is all finished up, just built the tongue and axle this morning and got it all welded on, what do you think?

I'm thinking of putting it on ebay with a real high reserve and see what kind of bids I can get, just so I can figure out what kind of dollar amount people are willing to pay.

Rick
Nice job on the mobility kit. Wheels need a flat paint.
I'd say if you don't need it, put it out there and see what it does.

Isaac-1

I think you would get higher dollars on ebay if you fixed up the trailer with some fenders, maybe outrigger legs, and painted the whole thing a more neutral color, there is a reason most of the commercial units out there today are some shade of tan.

Ike

Ken_86gt

Rickety Bones- nice looking trailer....you have me thinking about a project. If you could give a little info on your new rig:

What would you estimate the tongue weight, total weight, and are those 3500lb axles? Thanks

Rickety Bones

Rickety Bones- nice looking trailer....you have me thinking about a project. If you could give a little info on your new rig:

What would you estimate the tongue weight, total weight, and are those 3500lb axles? Thanks
I found a used axle that was 6 feet wide, I cut it down to make it work and yes I was told it was a 3500# axle but im not 100% sure on that.

the gen is listed as 3000 # , The tongue I built weighs about 75# and the axle, wheels and springs weight about 75# also.

what I did to figure tongue weight is this,

I first installed the new tongue with the gen on the flat concrete floor so I could get it straight and flat, I then picked up the unit a few inches off the ground and put a 4 foot piece of pipe under it cross ways like a rolling pin, I did this to figure out where the center of gravity was ( or the balance point ).

for my particular set up it was about 8" in front of the D-Ring hooks that were on the top of the gen.

I then knew if I placed my axle center line about 12" back from the center of gravity point that I would have about 300# of tongue weight on the front, which is what I was looking for.

Put a scale under it and I came in at 305# on the tongue

NOTE: If I was to do this project again, I would get a drop axle and weld it directly to the bottom frame of the unit and not use springs. the gen is very top heavy and I would want that as low as possible. this will help keep it from tipping over when going around corners while moving it.

Hope this helps.

Rick

Last edited:

PeterD

does anyone know what the 3 wires are that plug into the 24v alternator are or possibly a schematic or wiring diagram?

Rick
The operator's manual covers the testing and circuit for the alternator.

From the rear, looking at the alternator:

Triangle, two pins on bottom, one on top.

Bottom pins are plus and minus (with minus closest to the fuse holder).
Top pin is excite which turns on the alternator. Connected to battery when engine is running.

Rickety Bones

The operator's manual covers the testing and circuit for the alternator.

From the rear, looking at the alternator:

Triangle, two pins on bottom, one on top.

Bottom pins are plus and minus (with minus closest to the fuse holder).
Top pin is excite which turns on the alternator. Connected to battery when engine is running.
Thanks thats just what I was looking for

Rick

Captain Ron

I just bought a mep005a myself about a month ago.I need help with a running problem.I'll get to my fuel problem in a second. It may help you out. Purchased from a private individual who had it running but never used it. Brought it home and started to pull a 50 amp load. ran for an hour and started to slow down and turned off. Almost like running out of fuel. Hit the started and it started up. Ran for about 10 minutes. Kept cycling it and it ran less and less but always starts up. Thought filters were dirty but he said they were new. Pulled filter cans and found out this dummy pulled the filters out. Bought new filters and test ran. After it sits it will run about 20 minutes and slow down and then off. Shorter intervals each time i start it. Ive never come across a diesel that slows down and shuts off but can be started right up again. I'm lost. I'm so new I dont even know if I'm writing this thread in the right spot. Would appreciate any help. Have other issues but that is the big one. This may help your pump issue. It's not permanent but will see if pump works. I had to jump 24 volts to the outside terminal on the ip because the overspeed kicked in. started right up when i jumped it. thought you may just be able to jump yours.

R Racing

Somewhere near the top of the injection pump there is a screen. There is a post about this around December. Maybe see if you can find it. They had pictures. It sounded like the same problem. If not it could be a issue with the float in your day tank.

Captain Ron

Pulled the inlet fitting that has a fine mesh screen and ran it. No better. Pulled ip top cover and it was full of junk. Main problem was the pump return check valve was clogging up with rust. I actually had to pull the check valve and replace it with a regular fitting and she runs like a top. Holds 60 hertz with no fluctuation. I also pulled the magnetic shut down solenoid and turn it on and off manually. While messing with gen i set the overspeed and the overspeed light wont go off. I don't know if anyone out there knows how to reset the overspeed so i can hook up the electric shut down solenoid and all systems should be just fine.