• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Guy with M101A3

John Galt

Can you post a picture from the back. I want to put 235/85R16 tires and rims (CUCV) on my A3 but I feared that the wide axle would make them stick out of the fenders.
Here you go.

Almost looks like the axle has some camber...

i-HkmkfHZ-L.jpg

Looks like I may have to scratch the plans for a tongue box.

i-xwQv4CF-L.jpg

Last edited:

John Galt

If I do get a tongue box, I think it will have to be a DIY job like yours because it needs to be thin. I like being able to pivot the trailer completely out of the way of the tailgate while its attached to the truck.

A nice surprise has been how well the trailer pulls with the 2.5" ring. Just looking at it in the garage I was expecting a lot of clanking but it is much smoother than the original set up.

Is there any issue with using a Grade 8 bolt as a receiver pin (with lock washer). I have had a hard time finding pin that fits the receiver but does not interfere with the safety chain hooks.

I was lucky to get a used set of 3 km2 mudders in 33x12.5 for ten bucks a piece at discount tire to throw on my a3. got killed on brake repair today though, 900! I didnt have time to order the parts from etrailer.com and the local backing plate assemblies are outrageous. But I got new shoes, backing plate etc, new master cylinder fresh fluid (spendy) and a new wheel stud that was in bad shape. While I was at it I lined the old girl up with safety cables, and hooked up a 4 inch pin to lock out the now working surge brakes when I back up. I will try to post pics

John Galt

900 is pretty steep for brakes. For that money you could have gotten an new axle with electric brakes. For a time I was considering (and still may) replacing my axle with a Dexter 7K 4" drop with electric brakes. I was quoted $550 for the parts.

To be honest I like the surgebrakes. Now that they work on mine it amazing, plus I dont have a brake controller in any of our trucks. If I had been able to do the repair myself the cost would have been around 400 with parts and everything at max. But doggone NAPA and wholesaletrailer parts in sacramento bent me over the barrel. The hard parts is Im mid trip so my serious tools are packed on a professional moving truck, so I was at the mercy of a mechanic. Obviously you all see how that worked out at $900! Oh well lesson learned

John Galt

Been a while since my last update. Nothing major just a few things to make it a bit more useful. The "to do" list is still pretty long and progress is slow. Now I am kicking around the idea of putting a torsion axle on it. It will allow me to get some electric brakes and will drop the deck ~10" while still maintaining the same ground clearance as a straight axle.

I was hoping to get away without brakes but when I am done, I would not be surprised if the trailer is close to 2K empty. As it sits, it is pushing 1500, those RKI boxes are nice but each one is 75 lbs...., another 50lbs for the spare, another 20 lbs for hi lift jack, etc

Attachments

Last edited:

John Galt

Made a little more progress.

Took 14 cans to paint everything I could reach with a rattle can. Flat black is a very forgiving paint :)

Hopefully I will finish the rack this week. Plan is to make it pretty modular so I can add/swap out side panel. For now, I mostly want it for supporting shade tarps and a tether point for my hammock.

After finishing the rack, next up will be new tailgate and pin cables to hold the tailgate level. Since I moved the plate to the fender, I need to install and wire a new plate light. Then maybe some mud flaps.

i-nVQ4rp9-L.jpg i-KqgdpkZ-L.jpg i-X8Q9LhC-L.jpg i-zmppTzV-M.jpg i-9HxZbz8-M.jpg

MarcusOReallyus

To my ignorant eye it looks pretty good! :beer:

(But I know enough to know that looks don't tell the whole story on welding!)

Izzat stick or wire?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks