• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Guy with M101A3

shohnson

Great trailer biuld! I just picked up 3 m101a2's and am looking at what others have done with them. I really enjoy seeing a $290 dollar trailer convince it's owner to buy a $500 welder $300 worth of wheels and tires and a couple hundred in hardware I'm afraid you have been bit by the bug my friend :) next it will convince you it really needs a Duece to pull it. Good luck with your future MV purchases.

John Galt

Great trailer biuld! I just picked up 3 m101a2's and am looking at what others have done with them. I really enjoy seeing a $290 dollar trailer convince it's owner to buy a $500 welder $300 worth of wheels and tires and a couple hundred in hardware I'm afraid you have been bit by the bug my friend :) next it will convince you it really needs a Duece to pull it. Good luck with your future MV purchases.
Thank you. I look forward to seeing your build.

Well, counting the stuff I sold/scrapped off the trailer it really only cost me $150.....

The welder was a bit more than $500..... Also had to buy a new grinder that would accept the razor disks I used to make the stakes. I do have a very understanding/though wife though :)

Funny how things add up. Just the 20 cans of paint on the trailer was a decent chunk, same with the tires (still need a spare :)), tool boxes, E-track, light parts, tailgate cable parts, bolts, steel, consumable stuff like grinding wheels and flap disks, tongue conversion parts, truck side pintle hook/plate..... well you get the idea. Still need to get a tarp cover and to rig up a battery/solar box and ....... Just like Johnny Cash, I do it one piece at a time.

I (mostly the wife) have been keeping a log of the build cost and will tally everything up once complete. If other builds on the web have taught me anything it is that it may never get to that point though :)

This is mostly a fun project that has a practical application, I can do at home, at my own pace, while learning some things so it is an all around win in my book.

I would like a Duece and eyeballed one on the local CL.... That wont fly parked in the driveway though.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/3975985601.html

John Galt

Mark, your build is an inspiration to many. I plan to cover the top only. I made some awning stakes and plan to use the rack to attach tarps off the sides/rear.

John Galt

Tarps arrived from mytarp.com. Need to play around with how to rig them but they look good so far. Ended up getting a large tarp to cover the entire trailer :) and smaller ones for just the sides and rear if a quick set up is needed. I plan to make some awning legs that attache directly to the trailer so only stakes will be needed on the ground.

i-x72HCPn-M.jpgi-Gg3wg5X-M.jpgi-5xSSS5X-M.jpgi-PcDg395-M.jpg

Last edited:

pma4x4

John those welds look great. Good dime stacking and you can see with the rainbow effect you got good penetration. Just keep in mind to worry more about penetration. Dime stacking will come later. its just a finished look that came out of NASCAR and now everyone thinks the only "good" weld is one with stacked dimes. I built a hole trailer frame from scratch and all my welds looked pretty much like that.

Keep up the good work!

I just scored a M116A3 flatbed so I am surfing and soaking up your guys ideas.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks