• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New high back seats???

TheGreatMidwest

Has anyone installed the older MRAP style high back seats or the HEMTT seats in their HMMWV? Would be especially interested in anyone's suggestions about upgrading the rear seats in an m998 to high back seats. Thanks!

MRAP seat.jpg

Last edited:

TheGreatMidwest

HEMTT seat, air ride shock absorbers, adjustable

The HEMTT seats sound like they have some nice features-
[SIZE=-2]DUAL HEAVY DUTY SHOCK ABSORBERS FOR AIR RIDE, DUAL LOCK TRACKS; RIDE CONTROL AIR VALVE LOCATED IN FRONT OF SEAT; ADJUSTABLE 2 IN FORE AND 1.5 IN AFT AND 3 IN VERTICAL.[/SIZE]

4 point seat.jpg

NateM1123LA

I can get them for you tomorrow...I have done about 20 and its not hard. Have primer and paint ready to cover the bare aluminum when you remove the old drivers base.
Late question to this thread sir! In your installations did you ever come across studs that were too short to go through the plate and battery cover? My commander kit seat studs arent long enough and i'm thinking it was meant for the back maybe? I'd rather not weld new bolts as i just got this kit.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used an air chisel to remove the OEM M998 seat base took all of 5 minuets, bolt the new base pieces to the new seat base and get it positioned and drill a few holes, bolt them down with a few screws then remove the new base and drill the rest of the holes and then bolt everything together including the bottom support plates, then bolt in your base and seat, should take no more that a couple hours all together.
There is also a tab that mounts to the back of the battery box to lock in the new Commanders seat base.

Last edited:

sf1954

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Late question to this thread sir! In your installations did you ever come across studs that were too short to go through the plate and battery cover? My commander kit seat studs arent long enough and i'm thinking it was meant for the back maybe? I'd rather not weld new bolts as i just got this kit.

I used 4 prong T nuts for to solve that problem. I ground off the prongs and screwed the T nut onto the seat threads thru the plate and battery cover. It has worked for 2 years.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One seat has longer studs than the other, try the other seat

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
the other seat is the driver seat, it has the big black base attached already, (came that way) are you saying I should un-attach it and try that one on the passenger side? Thanks!!
Well you can measure the studs, if it was a new boxed seat retrofit kit one of the seats should have longer studs, if that is the one you are trying to install on the Commanders side then something else is wrong.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
the other seat is the driver seat, it has the big black base attached already, (came that way) are you saying I should un-attach it and try that one on the passenger side? Thanks!!
The Commanders studs measure about 1 1/4" the driver studs are about 3/4"

NateM1123LA

The Commanders studs measure about 1 1/4" the driver studs are about 3/4"
thanks for all the info, I removed the other seat from the base and both seats have the exact same stud length and model numbers on the seats so idk. Basically the back studs don't reach through at all. Had no idea there were different stud lengths on these.IMG_9609.jpg

Action

So, 2 front studs go through but the 2 rear dont? There is a dip towards the rear of the battery cover. Did you drill the new mounting holes yourself for the seat studs?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those look long enough, if they are 1 1/4" they should work, the "new" seat base is nesting flush with the old battery cover yes?
maybe some kits just had two "Commander" seats, probably having the longer studs would not hurt anything and it would simplify things a little

NateM1123LA

Those look long enough, if they are 1 1/4" they should work, the "new" seat base is nesting flush with the old battery cover yes?
maybe some kits just had two "Commander" seats, probably having the longer studs would not hurt anything and it would simplify things a little
this is how both fit on the plate, no room for the battery cover on the back with this stud height, they barely poke through not enough to get a thread on. Am I doing something wrong? Holes were pre drilled in battery cover already.seat plate.jpg

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
back the camera out, it almost looks like the plate is backwards let me run back to the shop and see if I can find a plate.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is what it should look like, minus the rust LOL
IMG_20211224_191351556.jpg
Not sure what is going on with yours

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks