• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Looks for Hannibal

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Starting back on the Veteran's Day weekend, I began making some upgrades to my M818. My plans were for Deuce rear mud guards and flaps, M817 fuel tank protectors (replacing the quarter fenders) and a double stack of tool/utility boxes behind the cab with an auxiliary air tool connection.

I did get all the mudguards and protectors on then ran out of weekend back in November. Well, I parked the truck in storage and the Holidays struck robbing me of free time. I slowly worked prepping the toolboxes for install over the last two months. Last weekend I was finally able to finish up the projects. Below is the photo chronology...

1. Before shot
  2. I installed Deuce mudguards and flaps on the rear bed.
  3. Safety first: Conspic. tape lights up the night. This was mostly done for the bone heads that live and drive in my neck of the woods.
  4. M817 fuel tank protectors are installed on both sides (left side was bolted to the under-bed toolbox).
  5. A second tool/utility box is attached to the existing box. My brother's buddy welded a new floor to the old box due to some bad metal cancer. Boxes are shimmed with excess troop seat slats.
  6. 3/4 shot of tool utility boxes. Pioneer tool rack is still located on top.
  7. A 1/2" air line was installed from the old trailer emergency air line for air tool hook up. A secondary ball was installed at connection point for added safety.
  8. The air is connected with a flexible 1/2" hose to trailer valve. Yes, the valve is normally closed.
  9. After shot looking like a Deuce on steroids.
  10. Co-driver Spencer gives the new and improved Hannibal a whirl. All is good.

Attachments

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This past weekend I added two more Jerry can holders (one on the behind-cab tool/utility box and one on the right rear mud guard) and a pair of rock guards for the headlights. Now, I have to take out a loan to fill those two new Jerry cans I bought. I bought lockable metal straps for fuel cans.

Attachments

Last edited:

whyme

i love the truck. one question tho, given the flex in the frame on uneven ground had you considered the clearance between the cab and Jerry can? hard to tell how close it is in the pic.

also im only familiar with the 2 1/2 ton and have no idea how much flex is there.

nice work!

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
i love the truck. one question tho, given the flex in the frame on uneven ground had you considered the clearance between the cab and Jerry can? hard to tell how close it is in the pic.

also im only familiar with the 2 1/2 ton and have no idea how much flex is there.

nice work!
Thanks for the compliment!

The toolbox/spare tire sits on it's own frame directly behind the cab; there is no mounting to the bed. The jerry can holder is mounted to this frame and into the tool box. The bed has a lot more flex in relation to the cab on uneven terrain than this frame. The movement should be negligible. However, I do plan to keep my eye on it and re-engineer if need be.

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
LED light conversion

Early last month I completed install of LED lighting on my M818. The install includes headlights, front turn ambers, B/O drive light and rear markers/brake lights. Also LED are the instrument cluster high beam indicator and turn signal actuator flashing indicator. I really love the LED headlights...incredibly bright.

I have not been able to find suitable replacements for the license plate light and dash lights.

Attachments

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hannibal gets new shoes

Got a great deal on 10+1 Goodyear G177 Radials. They have 95%+ tread. With a little pressure washing and some Rustoleum flat black paint, they look good as new.

My neighbor came by a assisted with the heavy lifting. Luckily between my Northern Tool 3/4" impact, Budd socket and some PB Blaster (soaked the lugs a few days prior), the lugs all busted fairly easy. I used truck air through an 8 gal. air pig with my impact..

So it's bye-bye NDT's...they will be donated to a worthy cause.

Attachments

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Quick removing pioneer rack

I relocated my pioneer tool rack to the right fender. It used to be on top of my utility/tool boxes behind the cab. When I decided to make provisions for an air pig to hang on the tool boxes between the cab and the bed. I realized the rack would be in the way.

By putting the rack on the fender it would be in the way during engine compartment work/maintenance. I had to mount it so it could be easily removed. Using a couple of surface-mount lift-off hinges and 3/8"bolts and wing-nuts I devised as quick removal system. Remove the the wing-nuts and bolts and slide the rack back off the hinge pins. I made sure to mount the pin side of the hinges on the rack to avoid anything getting caught on the fender.

The fender mounted side of the hinges have washers under them to give a little stand off from the fender. Left to do...a locking bolt (so the rack doesn't walk away) and some rubber grommets on the bolt side.

Attachments

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Brian where did you get the LED's from? Trucks looking good.
Taillights, front marker/turn signals and B/O Drive came from eBay...search military LED. I just looked and there are some available. They are not from the same sellers, but they are there.

The headlights were a swap with a member here. He bought a 24V set for his M920 which were surprisingly incompatible with his truck. I bought a set of 12V from Discount Fleet Supply (SET OF 2) Truck-Lite 7'' Round 12v LED Headlamp (Headlight) (27250C) New Generation 6 Led Low-beam. We then sent each other the desired set in a straight exchange paying our own shipping costs.

The high beam indicator is from Erik's Military and Industrial Surplus High Beam Indicator Light (LED), 12356703-3 / SF5584377

Hope this helps out.

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Out of sight, but definitly not out of mind, under the hood. I put in all new belts, coolant hoses, NOS coolant surge tank w/ vent and return lines, fresh diesel engine HD coolant and air compressor inlet rubber hoses.

I didn't post here but check out my http://www.steelsoldiers.com/5-ton-up/73910-m818-fuel-tank-replacement.html

Thanks to all for viewing and keeping up on my progress.