• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New M1008. Many different issues.

markg

I love the 1/2" socket on the crank pulley to rotate the engine idea, but haven't tried that yet. I don't think I have a ratchet long enough to really reach it. Do you recommend doing this from the top or from under the truck?

You can reach it from under the truck, just move it a little. i dont think its the problem. just from watching your video i think your not getting power past the starter relay. you can remove it from under the dash. (silver square can) , hold it in your hand and turn the key to start. do you feel it click? if not, remove the plug from it, put a test light on big red wire, got power? then jump from there to the purple wire on the opposite side. what happens? thanks. mark

Jack Lope

Ok... the Glow Plug Relay is showing 25v. In the picture, I am taking the reading from the top post with the boot on it. Is this the correct post?

glowplugrelay.jpg

In this pic, the camera is held near the fuel pedal, point up under the dash. I think this is most obviously the starter relay. Looks like there are two purple, one with a white stripe. Fairly sure you talking about the solid purple jumped with the red while ignition in the accessory/first click/run location. I'm expecting to maybe hear the starter engage, I'm thinking.

starterrelay.jpg

markg

Dont worry about the glow plug relay voltage. it lookes ok. grab the plug for the starter relay and make sure its seated, try to start again. does it click? if not you should unplug the harness plug , hold it in your hand, check for voltage on the red wire. if it has voltage take a paper click and briefly touch from red to purple. if your starter is good it will engage. thanks. mark

Jack Lope

Holy cow, I about jumped out of my skin!

Yes, it clicks.

Yes there's power.

Yes it's a freaking 4th of July show jumping red to purple.

All I got was a clunk. The starter didn't turn.

So, unless there's something else I'm unaware of, this leaves just the starter remaining?

Last edited:

markg

Holy cow, I about jumped out of my skin!

Yes, it clicks.

Yes there's power.

Yes it's a freaking 4th of July show jumping red to purple.

All I got was a clunk. The starter didn't turn.

So, unless there's something else I'm unaware of, this leaves just the starter remaining?
Its hard to believe that the starter just up and died just after you got it home. i would try one more thing. crawl under the truck and rap on the starter case with a hammer. try to start. do it again, see what happens. thanks. mark

goldneagle

Its hard to believe that the starter just up and died just after you got it home. i would try one more thing. crawl under the truck and rap on the starter case with a hammer. try to start. do it again, see what happens. thanks. mark
I had at least two vehicles that I needed to wack the starter with a hammer from time to time in order to get it to start. Eventually I had to replace the starter when that no longer did the trick.

Jack Lope

Funny how easy it is sometimes. I had tried tapping the starter with a hammer before...

It's 10 pm, got the flash light and a hammer. Tapped the starter casing a few times and heard a click. I knew that was it. Got up, turned the key and the truck roared to life! I let it run for a while to let the neighbors know. ;)

What an awesome way to start the weekend.

Thank you for all the help! I've learned a lot this week.

Note to self, keep hammer in truck.

goldneagle

Funny how easy it is sometimes. I had tried tapping the starter with a hammer before...

It's 10 pm, got the flash light and a hammer. Tapped the starter casing a few times and heard a click. I knew that was it. Got up, turned the key and the truck roared to life! I let it run for a while to let the neighbors know. ;)

What an awesome way to start the weekend.

Thank you for all the help! I've learned a lot this week.

Note to self, keep hammer in truck.
I suggest you have the starter checked out. It is either in need of a rebuild or shimming. Hammer will not work forever. You can buy a nice gear reduction on AMAZON for $119 to $139 depending on length of warranty. You can get the back support bracket for a gear reduction starter on Ebay for under $20. Use 1983 Chevrolet K-30 Custom with 6.2 l diesel as the proper vehicle to get parts.

Jack Lope

I have some confusion as to the starter. I thought I need a 24v starter, but the K-30 is 12v, right? I don't know what it means to have gear reduction. I'm trying to find part numbers and a how-to on replacing the starter now.

Does NAPA sell a 24v starter?

FloridaAKM

I have a starter that likes to do the same roll over & play dead trick @ the worst possible times. A jack rod, extended down into the engine compartment & a few bumps of the rod brings the starter back to life again every time. I'll change it here this spring as the weather warms up.

Hasdrubal

I have some confusion as to the starter. I thought I need a 24v starter, but the K-30 is 12v, right? I don't know what it means to have gear reduction. I'm trying to find part numbers and a how-to on replacing the starter now. Does NAPA sell a 24v starter?
Unless your truck has been converted to 12V, you need a 24 V starter. You're much better off getting your original 27MT direct drive rebuilt, if that's what you have now. They are very heavy duty. The pic shows the difference between the direct drive, on the left-fatter case and the gear reduction. Yes, NAPA should be able to source one, but beware you're probably buying chinese junk..it will not last. If you can find an American made gear reduction, like what came OEM on later 6.5's, you'll be OK. The how to is in the TM's, there are also plenty of threads here that explain the procedure.

Make sure you have the nose bracket and use new starter bolts, there is a different bracket for each starter. You can get AC Delco bolts cheap online.

Attachments

Jack Lope

Jack Lope

You're much better off getting your original 27MT direct drive rebuilt, if that's what you have now. They are very heavy duty. The pic shows the difference between the direct drive, on the left-fatter case and the gear reduction.
I'll verify which I have when I remove it. Rebuilding sounds like a cheaper option. I'll need to find a good shop in the area.

Also need to have a good shop do the injection pump too. It was leaking... actually gushing fuel, but after it's been started a few times and driven around a few blocks, the leak appears to have completely stopped.

Last edited:

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jack,
Nice work on the trouble shooting. Now you know a little more about your MV. Lots of guidance from the guys sure helps also. I knew you could do it. Figured it was the starter to whole time. I've changed many after using the percussion adjustment method get one to spin. Get the original starter rebuilt/reworked. Get it running and take it for a blast down the highway to get real warm and exercised. Check for fuel leaks at the IP, seeps you can live with, running leaks need to be addressed.
Have fun
JC

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks