• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New M1009 CUCV owner!!

andytk5

Hey guys,

Just picked up a pretty decent 09 the other day. Just for those who wonder I i know I did and I read every thread I could) this truck has 33x12.50x15 Buckshot Mudders (good tread) and it fit on a Uhaul auto transport (newer model like others discussed). The tires rubber the outter edge of the trailer and were squeezed just a touch but it fit. The tire straps won't go around the tires but slide them to the inside and strap them over the front axle tube.

Anyhow here are a few pics, truck has sloppy tan paint but a solid body with no rust. All the parts. Guy is mailing me the antennae bracket. Truck is complete as far as I can tell and really cruises up to 65. I was really surprised about the power. It isn't a rocket but I thought from all the reading it needed a turbo to get out of its way.. I will be back burning the turbo deal (as of know) and jump right into some 686 tan outside and some tan rustoleum inside unless they make a tan roll on bedliner. Seats are perfect except a small tear on the drivers. Dash needs to be replaced. I just want a 2" lift since the springs are basically inverted and only an inch or more between stops. I'll do the a/c on the left side and move the batts to the front tray to make room for the turbo later. Finding those M1010 a/c brackets is a little tough. Maybe I can fab some? I'll just run an a/c only evap and if I can run it in civvy vents in the dash using some junkyard parts for the dash etc.. Love the dual m16 gun mounts. Blackouts all work, windows roll great, all lights function, seats swing and slide, heater works/blows good. wipers and washer works, horn,

Issues: as of now there is a mometary switch next to the generator gauge that is used for the glow plug operation. I guess a manual conversion like I have read here. Needs some weather seals on the doors and gate. Also the gen 1 light is lit will running but he siad it doesn't mean it is not working?

Anyhow very excited and suprised how quite it is, used to deuce. Looking to have some fun with it!

Thanks guys!

Attachments

Last edited:

cucv1833

some tan rustoleum inside unless they make a tan roll on bedliner. Seats are perfect except a small tear on the drivers. Dash needs to be replaced. I just want a 2" lift
Anyhow very excited and suprised how quite it is, used to deuce. Looking to have some fun with it!

Thanks guys!
Nice one.
On the Tan roll on bed liner CABELAS makes a TAN coating non skid for boats that might work TUFF COAT. Ive never used it but its got good reveiws.

Good luck and enjoy

andytk5

Nice one.
On the Tan roll on bed liner CABELAS makes a TAN coating non skid for boats that might work TUFF COAT. Ive never used it but its got good reveiws.

Wow, thanks for that! I will be looking into that and report back. I also wondered how paint adheres to the standard roll on liner stuff? Haven't looked into that.

nice looking truck! Good luck with the lift! The Rough country kit I used was great. No problems with the installation. I would let the bolts soak in PB blaster though! My 3/4 impact got a workout getting the leaf spring bolts off!
Thanks Blue, Honestly I was gunning for your truck as you had everything I wanted to do already done! Mild lift, a/c good looking paint. Lol, missed it by an inch! I just gotta figure out the left side a/c compressor mount and the rest is easy. Just glad it already has the 33" tires on it as this will be a frequent driver and drive on St. Aug beach ride.:jumpin:

andytk5

Nice one.

Good luck and enjoy
nice looking truck! Good luck with the lift! The Rough country kit I used was great. No problems with the installation. I would let the bolts soak in PB blaster though! My 3/4 impact got a workout getting the leaf spring bolts off!
Thanks guys, I appreciate it. Something definitely woring with me in that I get stoked over old stuff more that the new stuff. Plus I've had 2 civvy K5 blazers before this in college, 84 and 85 but both 350s. Swapped the rear on the 85 to a HD van 14FF with discbrakes. This M1009 is keeping the 10bolts but getting a homebrew/cheap disc swap with eldorado calipers.

Hey blue, is there anyway you could hook a brother up with some pics of that killer dual alternator setup on the passenger side and some pics of how the compressor was on the driverside. That would be major cool! Just post em up in here if ya like. Gotta leave room for the turbo setup that I already have parts laying around here for, just leaving it for later. Thanks!:beer:

iluvbudwsr

Very nice truck Andy! One thing I noticed is that you actually have the correct numbers on your bridge plate too which you hardly ever see. what part of florida are you from bud?

danoscooter

Nice one.

Good luck and enjoy
Durabak makes a tan bed liner that can be rolled on or even sprayed on. I have not used them but I plan on it. It is more of a soft liner than a hard liner compared to Herculiner. I got samples from them and it appears to be a quality product, not too pricey either.

Nice looking '09 by the way!

Daniel

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
sweet score

about that 'lift'

you don't need one - what you want is to get your springs replaced - a good spring shop can replace your springs and add a couple of leafs up front that will do everything you want and it should NOT require you to make any drive line changes

now, for the LAZY man's rear end lift, install coil over shocks - the ride IS a bit stiff when the Blazer is empty, but pulling a trailer, the ride is great and she IS level for about $75 per side - looks kinda kewl with those coil over's peaking out

just a thought

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
a compressor out of a HMMWV (it's 24v) will give you a compressor you can mount almost anywhere you can run power to. You would want to add a tank, I snagged a tank that is about three feet long and hopefully that will mount up under the truck with no problems...

again, just a thought

andytk5

Very nice truck Andy! One thing I noticed is that you actually have the correct numbers on your bridge plate too which you hardly ever see. what part of florida are you from bud?
Good catch! I'm Jax Bch but from Ft. Lauderdale.

Durabak makes a tan bed liner that can be rolled on or even sprayed on. I have not used them but I plan on it. It is more of a soft liner than a hard liner compared to Herculiner. I got samples from them and it appears to be a quality product, not too pricey either.

Daniel
Rodger that sir! Looks like that will be the way to go, one step deal, no painting on top of black liner. Thank you for that info.

sweet score

about that 'lift'

you don't need one - what you want is to get your springs replaced - a good spring shop can replace your springs and add a couple of leafs up front that will do everything you want and it should NOT require you to make any drive line changes

now, for the LAZY man's rear end lift, install coil over shocks - the ride IS a bit stiff when the Blazer is empty, but pulling a trailer, the ride is great and she IS level for about $75 per side - looks kinda kewl with those coil over's peaking out

just a thought
Good info on that. I swapped my Dodge Ram suspension out for Reg Cab SRT-10 stuff coils/shocks/spindles/calipers/rotors and did a flip kit on the rear and used the srt-10 leaf pack with the traction/snubber. I was hoping to use my old 2005 ram 1500 rear spring packs and strip out some leaves to insert into the front 1009 packs but dodge is 2.5" vs 3". Oh well.

If the shop would be cheaper than the set of spring that Blue2 was talking about Tuff Country 18271 - Tuff Country EZ-Ride Heavy-Duty Leaf Springs - Overview - SummitRacing.com about $200 then that a good way. I was even thinking just some add-a-leafs for real cheap but that could be pretty inconsistent and it's only $100 savings for a bigger head ache.

a compressor out of a HMMWV (it's 24v) will give you a compressor you can mount almost anywhere you can run power to. You would want to add a tank, I snagged a tank that is about three feet long and hopefully that will mount up under the truck with no problems...

again, just a thought
Very cool my friend! I haven't even neared that stage but very good idea once the basics are buttoned up!

I'm actually putting in an order now for all my seals from LMC doors/windows/gate and a new dash, prob match the color to the seats.[thumbzup]

andytk5

Ok, had the Tuff Country's ordered but it bacemae a mess with incorrect pricing so that is canceled. I am tempted to use some mid 90's F150 3" wide springs that come with lift blocks and u-bolts for dirt cheap off CL and use the pack as is or even mix and match into mine to get the right height.

Going to add some of my stock 2005 ram leafs in the rear to see how that works before a block fall back plan.

Not sure if shocks need to be done with a 2" lift let alone the steering arm, prob not..

Also have the full front door/window seals and rear gate inner/outer/upper seals on order. :-D

By the way, I searched all over for anyone who used the f150 springs since they are nearly the same length as our fronts but couldn't find anything..

Last edited:

andytk5

Daniel
I ordered some samples of the Sand and Tan Durabak and the sand is definitely the way I am going. Cool stuff. Sets it off a bit more than the black bedliner. May have some leftover to do my deuce floor also..:-D

I'll put up some pics tommorow. The seats and inside have been seriously deFunked... I have all the rubber that still needs to be put in. All of the outside is painted except the roof and a couple spots that need to be touched up. Really cleans up nice with the sharp 686. Towed the boat a little the other day, 4low made it a **** of alot easier than Hi range.. Didn't really get out on the road as I don't have much for guages. Maybe a cheap sunpro tri-guage set with Oil press, Water temp, Trans temp would do it.

Also noticed my voltage/generator guage isn't working..

Last edited:

andytk5

and some progress pics.. Outside is painted except the roof. You can see some of the roll marks but they're faint. I will spray it with paint gun once my air compressor is up and running since there is almost a gallon left. Inside is cleaned up just needs doors/dash painted tan, floor rolled. Seats are great, bench is in the garage.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks