• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

new M715 project

camp9

Biggest progress is the snow melted and its warming up again so I can work on it. Got the fuel tank out so going to weld that plug back in. Picked up some hmmwv tires and rims in OK for it yesterday. I don't even know if anyone has spacers or has converted one for 8 bolt rims, but has to be someone on here that's done it. I have a thing for keeping it original, but thought if I can get spacers to convert it the hmmwv tires will be nice and can always go back to original if I want. Ran into a guy with the DNR that new the truck and he said the engine had developed a knock, so when I get it started and if that's the case I'll have to address that issue. Maybe a diesel upgrade, or rebuild the original. That 6-71 detroit is a little big so I'll have to figure something else :) I want to paint it back to original OD green with the star and letters. Don't know if it's possible to strip the red DNR paint off and save what's underneath. Anyone ever done that with success?

Last edited:

bcowanwheels

You,ll have you,To recenter the hummer rims as theres no adapters made, i,ve done a bunch of them. Also the knock if this is the case if i was you i,d install a bone stock small block chevy, you,d be $ far ahead. Be careful welding the tank, they go boom very easy and i bet its rusted inside as most are, ditch the stock t-case infavor of a no202 or np205, install a modern master cylinder (split) as far as paint its all or none and with the use of salt in michigan i,d leave it all on there for protection.

Attachments

camp9

I've never re centered rims before but I'm sure I can. I'll check into the small block chevy option if needed. Welding the tank is a consern for sure. I have a tank of co2 and thought I'd feed that into while welding, or just use some seal all. amazingly the tank isn't rusted. Will the t-case swap your talking bolt right up stock? And I'm lucky on the body for rust. Truck probably never saw salt and only run in the summer.

bcowanwheels

If your going to run the truck on the road re-centering rims needs to be spot on ,up & down & side to side inclding run out or you'll have wobble masters. As far as welding the tank, fill it with water up to real close to welding area as possible then purge with argon or co2. Its thin metal so i recomend tig or oxy/act. Welding it. T-case swap is all custom and needs to be perfectly linned up to trans, sometime i hit it right the first time and it has taken me 1-2 days of messing with it to get it spot on, if it isnt linned up correctly it will be hard on u-joints & bearings and vibrate. Take your timeand think thru the job at hand then go to it slow. If i can help just contct me, no problem. I,ve built 30-40 of these trucks stock and custom.
Bob

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks