• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New M816

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I need to move an M816 about 1800 miles :shock: . For those of you who know, and don't know :? what kind of a road trip would this be (other than long and hot)? What sort of mileage and speed can I expect?

M1075

RE: Like Jason Said, Oops I Did It Again

1800 miles? Wow :driver: , it is going to be a road trip. The 816s aren't all that fast because they weigh 35,000#. I keep mine around 50-55 mph. No clue on fuel mileage, but it can't be good due to the weight.

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's coming from Little Falls MN. I'm setting aside 4 or 5 days for the trip. I'm hoping to get about 5 mpg. I'd like to meet up with some SS's along the way. My EUC's are going through pretty quick. Trip will probably be in about 3 weeks.

I had been watching this one for about 2 months, I'll be thinning out the motor pool to pay for this one. I don't know whats in the boxes, but it looks very complete, has it's tanks as well.

Attachments

M1075

That is a good looking wrecker, indeed. I liked the other one with the Xls as well. And whoever stole the one in PA is smiling big tonight! Good luck on the road trip. I doubt Oklahoma is on the way, but look me up if you come through.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Dude, we were looking at that one on GL today.....you did dreally well, congratulations!!

:beer:

p.s. - we expect pics and vids of the trip home

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats Kevin. Wished I could convoy with you man. What is getting sold to make funds for this one?

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are considering driving a truck that you just won at an auction 1800 miles?!?! Sheer madness... Get a trucker to haul it. If something goes wrong, you will have wished you paid to have it hauled. That trip will stress that truck unbelievably. Is it worth it? The cost of hauling should be considered when bidding. Add on top of the risk you are taking the fact that you can't possibly have tags on the truck (since you won't have the title until it is inspected in your state) and probably won't have insurance. Good luck...I would not want to be in your shoes. A couple of hundred miles might be worth the gamble, but 1,800 miles...?!?!

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I looked at that wrecker in PA for someone, can't remember his screen name. I think it sold for $6600 or so. It was nice, a little surface rust in places, but complete and had all the accessories. Couldn't get it started, batts were dead dead dead.

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I have decided to have the truck hauled, Bruce's rather strong message brought up good points, that's the kind of feedback I was looking for. I wouldn't have had tags. I would have had insurance. I did have plans in case of break down & I did figure the cost of hauling into the total cost.

After looking at wreckers for over a year from everywhere, Osk Kosh Equipment, Ranchers Supply, Jack's Gov Surplus, private parties and on and on, I decided to pay for what looked like the best GL truck I had seen in a year. As much as I would enjoy the trip, Bruce is correct, risk is too great for this beauty.

deuceman51

Can anybody tell me what the deuces went for at camp ripley? I was watching the auction and was going to bid but I was at work and never got to see how they ended up. I really want to know how much the one with the blown motor went for.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just go to your GL watch list, then click on 'closed watch list' (highlighted in red) and it will bring up the descriptions and winning bids.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DESERT DEUCE: I did not mean my message to come across so strongly. I meant it as a friendly suggestion to consider your alternatives. I think you made the right choice. I've driven a truck home from an auction on two occasions...about 400 miles each time (both from SC to MD). I did have the benefit of having it delivered first to a friend's house so he could look it over before I got there and I could service it once I arrived. Had anything been amiss, I would have left the truck and had it hauled. I completely understand the temptation to want to drive the truck home. It is an exciting roadtrip and it should save you some $$$ if everything goes smoothly. I got lucky the two times I did it. I will also add that I am nervous to drive a mint M925A2 about 175 miles home and I've owned that truck for a while. It is nothing against the truck...it is about as nice a truck as I've ever seen...it is simply that it is a risk and I'm not sure the truck needs that wear and tear in the middle of July.

CGarbee

I'll second Bruce's comments. I too think that you've made the prudent decision having it hauled home.

I've towed and driven several trucks home from local auctions and have been fairly nervous about each trip even when I have a stout tow/chase vehicle and it's only been fifty miles or less (and the friend(s) who have gone along to help work on these things for a living...).

Recently, I drove home a M817 that I purchased in Ohio. Trip from Ohio to NC was about five hundred miles (each way). I had the luxury of having the truck towed from the GL lot to a yard where it could be worked upon before the trip and I also had the assistance of a M816 and it's owner to get the dump ready for the trip, and to tow it home if needed. (BIG thanks again to all the guys here who helped and for the hospitality)

I was still a nervous, pessimistic, wreck for most of the trip. Had a blast, enjoyed meeting some fellow SS Members and saved some money, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you have a good support team and are prepared for the worst (in my case, I had visions of the M817 breaking down, then the M816 breaking down while towing the dumptruck...).

On the other hand, I've had no qualms about driving any of my trucks on a 1500 mile round trips once I've gone through them and have made enough shorter trips to feel confident in whatever I am driving...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks