• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New M923A2 Owner

charger53

I purchased my m923A2 from a guy that had never titled it. The guy then moved before I knew what I needed and I couldn't track him down.... Major OOOPS. I ended up getting a bonded title through the state, cost me a couple hundred dollars and a month of hassle, but well worth it in the end, I know have a fully titled and insured giant toy! I don't know what the process is in your state, but if you end up needing a different route to go I would be happy to guide you through the process in Colorado. I also now have a bonding company standing behind my title, I hope I never need it, but if the title or ownership should ever be challenged I have them to back me up

todds112

UPDATE: ISSUE SOLVED

Just talked to GP today and apparently they have resolved the issue. I WILL be getting a SF97.
Now I just need to get down there to UT and get her home!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just an FYI. At this point GovPlanet fills all the info in for the SF-97. You only get to check the box if you want one or not.

If they can't find a date of manufacture or serial number then it seems they automatically say "No SF-97".

Hopefully they work it all out.

todds112

That was the whole jist of the problem. The dash plate" date of inservice" was blank. I'm guessing the year will be blank on the SF97.

Got a Soldier B to go with me so I should have her home by nightfall this Friday!! Hope all goes well.

todds112

She's home!

Well, the 923A2 is home! Overall it wasn't a bad recovery. Steve from GP met us at the yard in Ogden. They were busy taking photos and inspecting another batch of Humvees. He was very nice and helped me jump start her and she roared right to life. Very simple, quick in and out from the yard. I taped up the top with some Gorilla Tape, as best as I could. I was the torn threads as others thought. Poured in some Diesel 911 and filled her up the rest of the way. Had a half tank of clean looking fuel in her. All other fluids were perfect.

Only issue was a tire that wouldn't air up past 30 PSI. It appeared the CTIS was working correctly and it was trying its best. I found an obvious leak at the turret valve on the tire. Sure couldn't fix that there. I was stressing about it a bit and called Boyce trucking just down the road. Mark Boyce told me to come on over and they would take a look at it. He told me they normally don't really do tire mounting work, but would help us out. His guys jumped right on it and found the O-ring in the turret valve was bad. They tore down the wheel and tire and I was on my way in just under 2 hours. Mark was a great guy! Talked to me and my buddy quite a while. We even walked out with 2 free T-shirts. GREAT customer service!!

The truck drove well except for a bad bounce/wobble/ at times in the front end. I assumed it was because of the tire that had probably sat flat for a while and was flat spotted. I have the exact symptoms as posted in this thread. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?133385-Fixing-Out-of-round-Tires It would come and go, but ran pretty smooth at 58 MPH or so.

Transmission shifted smoothly. Engine has plenty of power. Pretty uneventful trip although we did run into nasty weather going over the Salt Pass in Wyoming. I took it REALLY slow. My buddy has a house in Star Valley, WY and we made it there safely. Spent the night there and made the last 2 hours of the trip this AM.

Overall I'm happy with the truck.

The GOOD:

The truck was refurbished in 2009 and only has 2,100 miles since. Most of it is in really good condition. Fiberglass troop seats, brand new never used spare, cab seats look like new. The batteries look good and seem to be holding a charge after the jump start. Minor, but every single light bulb works! Heat works good, I was pretty comfortable.

The BAD:

The rust spots and peeling paint on the hood. The tire issue. The front, front side pinion seal started leaking on the way. Darn it, the CTIS quit working! Getting a four-light error, I'll research that and go from there. Had a, "OH NO" moment when I got home and noticed coolant all over both sides of the back of the engine and transmission. It was all over the place and hard to tell where it came from. Looked and looked and there it was: a broken hose clamp on a small coolant line at the back of the engine. $1.79 later and I think I have it fixed! Checked and tightened all the other clamps I could find.

IMMEDIATE PLANS:

I need to move the tire that was flat to a rear location. I'ld sure like to be able to get the CTIS working again. The interior needs a good cleaning out. I still haven't tested a lot of things like the transfer case, front axle engagement, etc. Wanted to wait until she was home to play with things.

Sure I'll have lots of questions as I get familiar with her. Now I just hope I get the SF97 as promised.

Attachments

todds112

Don't know where they got there hose clamps from . But I had a broken 1 to on my m923 a1 a RRAD rebuild.
Lowest bidder! I'm thinking a worthwhile, cheap, project might be replacing all of them with good stainless ones. Scared me because I didn't know there were coolant lines on the back of the engine and thought it was something more ominous.

8543BOB

Good morning, i had a similar problem with my m 929a2. Drive it home with the front seperated. I dont think i will ever remove the soft top, so i got some 1/2" flat stock from lowes, bedded the top with silicone then bedded the flat stock with silicone, used s/s self tapping screws and sandwitched the top to the windshield frame. Works great, no leaks

saddamsnightmare

December 23rd, 2014.

Probably Chinese made hose clamps, Uncle always buys from the lowest bidder and pays top prices for it. Glad you and the truck got home in one piece!

Merry Christmas!

todds112

Ahhhh CRAP! Now the right front tire is leaking. Exact same thing as the other front one did on recovery. Should have had Boyce do both of them. Now I have to pull the wheel and tear it down. NOT looking forward to that.

8543BOB

The top on my 929 seperated also, as i never inytended to remove the top i sandwitched it between the indshield frame and a 1/2" peice of alum flat stock i got a lowes for $3. I bedded the top in silicone, bedded the flat stock in silicone and used s/s self tapping screws to hold it together. Works great, no leaks, cost $6

Another Ahab

The top on my 929 seperated also, as i never inytended to remove the top i sandwitched it between the indshield frame and a 1/2" peice of alum flat stock i got a lowes for $3. I bedded the top in silicone, bedded the flat stock in silicone and used s/s self tapping screws to hold it together. Works great, no leaks, cost $6
Love to see a shot of that, got a camera?

Amer-team

The stitching was coming off on the leading edge of my tan soft top too. Pulled the top, took it to a local upholstery shop, he ran a couple of lines in the same holes, 25 bucks, and it works great. I left the top off for a few days. What good is it to have a convertible if you can't take the top down once in awhile. You might also cut a couple of pieces of foam, say 1 inch thich by about 3 inches long and stuff that into the left and right top corner where the soft top meets the windshield frame. this sill cut off the air flow in that gap and help to warm you cab up a bit.

Having the top off also gave the chance to do a really good scrubbing on the top. The tan top shows all the dirt and the minor amounts of mold that start in a really wet climate. I used Bleche White (white wall cleaner) and a small scrub brush, the top looks near new and should last that way for a long time. Regular hot soapy water would not touch the stains. Used the same process on the cargo cover (tan), took about 5 hours, but the top looks great.