• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Member in GA

Jon_H

Hello all,

I'm a Limey living in Atlanta, and came across your site while looking for military vehicle gatherings/rallies in north GA. I've always had an interest in modern military history, especially the vehicles, and am hoping to attend the rally later in the year.

I am the proud owner of a 1974 ex-British Army 1/2 ton Military Land Rover (aka Airportable, aka Lightweight) This variant was designed and built to strict MOD specifications and was never available to the civilian populous. Mine is FFR (Fitted For Radio) therefore is 24v, but no longer has its radios.

I've owned it since 2005, when I bought it as a non-runner. I tinkered and took my sweet time to get it running and road worthy again, and now drive it regularly out and about and to work.

It served in the British Army from 1974 until 1997. Initially serving with 2bn Royal Anglian Reg't until '86, with 4bn Royal Green Jackets until '95, then 5bn RGJ until '97 (the latter two battalions being Territorial Army/reserves)

Anyway, I've gone on long enough, I've got a lot of browsing to do around here.

Attachments

Jimma

Hello, glad you found us. There are numerous activities going on this fall. The Georgia MVPA will be having a rally and show in the Kennesaw Mountain area next month. You can find info here or on thier web site. Also the 2010 Georgia Steel Soldiers Rally will be in Oct. Search for it on this site. This is a great group of people and I think you will find you can spend a lot of time here and have some fun. You might even learn something. :lol:

Jim
Hartwell, GA

CycleJay

Hello and Welcome,

I am CJ, and I live in Smryna, near marietta, kennesaw, etc.

I have a 1985 Chevy Blazer M1009 CUCV.

Feel free to email or PM, so we can talk.

Good night,

CJ

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
That's a pretty snazzy unit ya have there Jon:drool:
I served with some British Soldiers at different times in my career and I gotta tell ya...they were some good troops:beer:
You didn't specify where ya are in GA...if you are anywhere near Columbus, Georgia...we need to meet.
If not...look in the "Upcoming events" thingy on the forum and figure a way to come to the North GA Rally!!:driver:

If ya don't...ya will always wonder what ya missed...and it will be alot:smile:

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Welcome to the site, Jon. We're glad to have you aboard.

I have a group of Landy friends up here near Athens, although their stuff is mostly civvy. I'll bet they'd flip out over yours.

There will be 2 rallies this fall............ The Ga. chapter of the MVPA will have their annual Fall rally in Kennesaw. It's more of a "formal" event, with organized parking, voting, etc. Swap meet as well. If there is any kind of a trail ride, it will probably consist of a ride around town or something similar. Many of us will be going to that event (we're taking a deuce and a mule). Here is the link for the event: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/upcoming-events/54959-kennesaw-mtn-ga-mvpa-show-swap-meet.html

Then, in October, Steel Soldiers will be having our annual Ga. Rally. This is more of an informal event, with vehicle displays but there won't be classes or judging/awards for the displays. Decent swap meet (growing every year), camping, campfire, food services and some fantastic offroading. The information for this event can be found at the link in my signature line. On the official thread, there are links to prior year's rally threads, so you can see all the pictures and video for yourself and get a better idea of what you're in for. If you are looking for an opportunity to get your Rover offroad, this is probably the best time of the year.

Looking forward to meeting you!

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Jon.....welcome from the Don of the Alabama MV Mafia.

If you don't come to the GA Rally I'll have to send Guiedo and the boys over there to break a leg or two.rofl

You cannot have more MV fun than the GA Rally.....to add to what Clinto said it is the premier MV event in this area.:jumpin:

We will have a Military Kitchen Trailer set up and we will be serving some good old fashioned southern food and some Army Standards. I will be doing some cooking along with Mike (SCSG-G4) and other guest chefs. (See pic)

Papa Bear will prob do a least one "run by" in his red tutu and pink combat boots.....it is better if you have partaken of adult beverages when this happens.....it keeps the image from being seared into your retinas.:shock:

Come join the madness.:cookoo:

Attachments

Capt.Marion

Welcome! Ditto to everything Clinto said. The GAMVPA Rally in September is great for networking, and for showing off your beautiful Land Rover you've got, without getting it all muddy and such. The GA Steel Soldiers Rally in October is loads of fun (from pictures and video, I've admittedly never been able to make it), especially if you like putting your trucks and vehicles to the test. I'd highly recommend both.

Again, Welcome to SS from another "Georgia Boy"

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks