• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Member - Raleigh, NC

jam68

Hello,

I wanted a Willies when I was a kid, even then they were too expensive for me, so now I bought an M1078. I found this on one of the surplus action sites and just jumped in. I moved it to my building yesterday and was surprised at the condition of the truck. It needs a wash down and I am going to do a fluid swap but overall it looks better than I expected.

I am monitoring the forums for ideas and materials. I need to get the CTIS working - the technician at Ft. Bragg said it was the black box that was bad - and the tires are a dry rotted.

Any suggestions on what to do/avoid would be helpful. First up is getting a title.

M1078_Parked.jpg

Thanks - Joe.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I swear I saw that truck loaded on a semi heading north yesterday... Was it a grey classic style truck that moved it?

Oh, Welcome!

Dave M38A1

Welcome from another North Carolinian. I saw some of those trucks at the Denton show.
They are nice. One of the guys there with a 5 ton said it was easy to fix his CTIS on the truck and the parts
were cheap. Probably another owner has some troubleshooting advice. You gotta love the engineering on those trucks. Lot's of information and advice to be found on this forum. Good luck with the truck.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome. I would think it's unusual for a truck of that age to have dry-rotted tires. If the CTIS isn't working, those sidewall cracks may be sidewall damage caused by being flat so long and often. I'd replace them before driving at speed.

jam68

We left Bragg at about 1120 yesterday. It was a black Peterbuilt with an aluminum flat bed. The guy who hauled it was great.

Now I just have to figure out what to do with the beast!

I swear I saw that truck loaded on a semi heading north yesterday... Was it a grey classic style truck that moved it?

Oh, Welcome!

jam68

That is what I am thinking. I need to find a place to get some replacement tires. I have started to look through the classified to get familiar. It should be fun once I get it titled and operational.

Joe.

Welcome. I would think it's unusual for a truck of that age to have dry-rotted tires. If the CTIS isn't working, those sidewall cracks may be sidewall damage caused by being flat so long and often. I'd replace them before driving at speed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks