• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New motor for the 09, what do you guys think?

1009krawler

My 6.2 finally kicked the bucket... time for a new power plant.

was thinking a 2002 chevy 6.0L or a 2003 chevy 8.1L, what do you guys think?
Any one have experience with either motor?

I have both already, no need in acquiring, both have brain box and all electronics/ sensors to make it a drop in.

Just looking for opinions here and if anyone knows specific downsides or upsides to either motor.

Thanks

1009krawler

As much of a cummins fan that i am, i already have a 6bt in another truck. want to do something little different with this one.

Also, not enough rpm's coming out of the 4bt or 6bt.

I already have the two chevy motors, pretty much up to a coin toss at this point.

K9Vic

I am not a fan of changing to gas motor in the CUCV, but if you have the engine and skills it would be cool to see.

What went out on your 6.2L?

1009krawler

I dont want to turn it to gasser either, but with what i use the truck for it is more practical. It is not a daily driver, off road only. 5.9 would be nice but too much weight, and 3.9 not enough power/ rpms.

Ive got a dodge with the 5.9, was thinking a bbc or sbc swap would add some variety to the garage.

As far as the 6.2. I threw a 6.5 turbo on it for fun, blew the head gasket. Got in there to replace and found a nice big crack in my block aua

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think it would be a stretch to call either of those a drop in no matter how much wiring and sensors you have. With that said it should be most interesting.

DrJekl

Those swaps are not too hard. You will need the harness and computer. You can do the harness yourself or send it off for $200 and get it built into a stand alone harness. You will need to get the ECM programmed. They will need to know your tire size, gear ratio, engine type, injector part number and type of transmission. If you run the TH-400 you will need an adapter sleeve for the crank that runs about $40 through Summit or GM. Some folks ask $125 for them though. Engine mounts for this application are readily available for about $100. Try Advnace or Novak. If you use a new transmission the the speed sensor proplem is solved. If you use the TH-400, there is a $40 sensor that runs inline with the speedo cable. You will need to tell the guy doing your ECM to program it to look for the square wave output rather than the factory sine wave.

You will probably have less money in using either engine than you will putting a 6.2 or 6.5 in it. I like the diesel but the newer LS1/Vortec engines are hard to beat and you can pick up one for under $500 with about 80K miles on it. They are 400,000 KM engines.

I can link you up with the guy that did my harnesses for the Jeeps.

Iceman3005

Why not just get an old 454, no computer, will drop right in, and trans will bolt right up without any adapters or issues. Most 454's came with hydra boost brakes too! My vote is cummins but as you said earlier you already have one.

1009krawler

I think it would be a stretch to call either of those a drop in no matter how much wiring and sensors you have. With that said it should be most interesting.
you are right sir. However, there is less work involved in dropping one of these in versus a 6bt.

drJekl,

You have been most helpful thank you. I already have a buddy to program the ecu, i also already have the ecm and harness for the motor. I did not know that about the speedo cable, you just saved me one major headache!

Iceman,

Ive looked into the 7.4L, but i have the 8.1L or the 6.0L readily available right here. I need the EFI due to the type of off road situations this truck sees.

All,

I would love to keep this truck diesel but its just not worth the weight. A cummins weighs 1200# fully loaded. The 12v doesnt push the power or torque i want at the rpms i need. Another 6.2 or 6.5 is the same situation, not enough power for the weight. This 8.1L stock pushed 340hp 455tq, and with a cam, quick tune, and removal of the tq management its easily into the 360-400hp and 500+ ft/lbs. Again this truck is a trailer queen, i dont care about mpg.

I guess i need to update the signature so you guys can see what im working with.
(new to the forum/ internet thing, internet wrenching/ wheeling drives me nuts...) Im all bout just getting in there and doing it.

I will try to get a picture or two of the 1009 up also.

Thanks for all your input!

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
1009krawler,

if you don't mind a couple of questions

you added a 6.5 turbo - what boost were you running?

AND even though you added the turbo

the only thing that blew were head gaskets?

the reason I ask I had a civi 6.2 with the Banks and I blew the rear main seal

OK, OK, you cracked the block... BUT other than blown head gaskets and a cracked block, everything ELSE was OK?

just wondering if these two issues could be addressed in a build, that's why I ask

AND has anyone besides this guy ever done the whole 'balance and blueprint the reciprocating mass and then flow the heads' type of build?

6.5L Diesel Land Speed Truck, Bonneville Salt Flats, 6.5L Diesel

any insight would be appreciated

1009krawler

Dont mind the questions at all.

14psi - however, not sure on the exact number, The turbo was a big failed experiment.

No, the rear main seal also let go, and the front has been iffy for a while. But as far as i can tell it held up through this.

No, im sure more happened. Once i found the crack i left it at that, no need to delve deeper into a broke motor.

Ive heard that story before, never seen such a detailed write up though!

Thanks,

DrJekl

That is not necessarily true. He said he has 02 and 03 model engines. Fly by wire systems were not found on all Gen IV engines until later and if you have a fly by wire throttle body you can swap it for a manual. You just need to tell your ECM what to look for. You can work around the TAC also.

For the comment regarding the adapter. The only adapter you need is the $50 spacer for the crank to the old style transmission. He'll need motor mounts either way and that old 454 will suck down more fuel and blow up way before the new engines will. The cost savings there will certainly make any additional up front investment dissappear in time.

The Gen IV engine swap is not hard. The hard part is getting the information to do it economically. I just picked up an 09 4.8L engine and transmission with 18K miles on it for my Jeep. By the time I have everything running, I'll have less than $1,000 in the entire mess. You need to shop around for the best deals on engines. The GTO engines and the bigger truck engines command high prices unfortunately but then again, so does a well built 6.5L Turbo diesel. A 5.3L is easy to come by and cheap. Sure, it has limitations and won't work for all applications, but is a pretty darn good swap and will work for most folks wanting to get into a modern gas fuel injected engine that offers very good power and fuel economy for a rather small investment.

What year are your engines? Keep in mine you may need the TAC & accelerator peddle from a newer truck as well.

91W350

Are you still running 3.08 ten bolts?? I do not understand the need for wheel speed in a crawler, if your user name reflects intended use. At any rate, thestock axles are not up to big power and tires. You can get big torque numbers from a 4bt and torque is what moves your truck. If you are just building a look what Igot trailer queen, then go for the gusto. I think you have blown off the Cummins as low power. If you are just looking to save bucks and run what you have, go gas seems to be your best option. When I was crawling around, those low rpm big torque diesels worked pretty good.

Last edited: