• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to M35A2, first purchase

fasttruck

Backing up in high range ? M35s will shudder in high reverse. Put truck in low range for reverse moves. ake sure transmission is in a gear that corresponds to direction of travel when moving. For those with 900 series trucks do not back these up in low range. Key to survival with a M35 is don't ride the clutch and don't lug the engine.

SteveKuhn

Glad it went well. What fasttruck said.

The air leak under the dash is not normal. Use some soapy water or 'bubble stuff' and a small brush to go around each fitting under pressure. Might be loose, might do with some teflon tape, or you might have a rotted hose to replace. You want to fix that so you don't overwork your compressor.

If the bucking is going forward, make sure you're in 1st gear and don't start out in 2nd, ever. There are plenty of arguments on here about that but I'm convinced by that advice. On the flat, you should pretty much be able to pull out in 1st/900 rpm without touching the throttle. Don't dawdle. Engage, move, and get off the pedal. Upshift at the proper time. I keep my left foot on the floor between gears, but that's how I was taught to drive a car back when they were pulled by mules.

Let us know.

Steve

RaggedyMan

1st gear, huh, I was told by the seller starting out in 2nd was fine. Being new to this truck I went with his advice, today I'll go with yours. Thing is it didn't start happening until after many, many miles of highway driving (interstate) when I got to the highways with the occasional stop lights.

SteveKuhn

It could be something mechanical but it could also be how you're using the clutch or gear. Perhaps after settling in with the truck you changed your touch. Keeping everything calculated and deliberate can help avoid shifting it like a modern car or truck.

Steve

Crestonean

That's a really nice looking truck! I also drove mine about 350 miles after buying it, and it also came home with an air leak under the dash. Mine was coming from a vent hole in the right side of the low air pressure sending unit. This is on the inside firewall above the steering column. The unit on my '68 was the old style, and has worked fine with no leaks since I took it apart and cleaned all the dust out of it. I'm not sure if the newer replacement units are as easy to service.