• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to me 1969 M274A5 Bayfield mule

AMGeneral

New to me 1969 M274A5 Brunswick mule

Just when I thought I was selling off the MVs and kind of getting "out" of the hobby,

A coworker found a M274 mule on a local "for sale" site, and I got a chance to go look at it this evening, needless to say the price was right so it came home with me!

Only 2 pictures tonight , but the deck is complete with all covers, the engine is free and has spark, it is missing a few things ( foot basket,pedals, ETC) but all the main components are in place and unmodified.

Technically, I am still "downsizing" as this is the smallest MV I have owned to date, I will keep this thread updated as work progresses.

Attachments

Last edited:

AMGeneral

Today I managed to remove the completely locked up pull starter assmy, take it apart and thoroughly clean and free it up, Just in case I had to go back into it, I filled it up with a light grade of lubrication oil.

I also cleaned and lubed the pulley in the 90 deg box for the pull start as well, I still have to find out whether or not I have spark, but that may have to wait a while.

AMGeneral

Success!!

It runs!!!!

After 2 evenings of cleaning and freeing up a stuck engine, changing plugs, cleaning the magneto and re-timing it, changing oil and filter I finally got the engine to spin over.

It had spark, had compression, and I got a few burbles and 1 ten second burst of running during 2 evenings of pull starting with the manual starter, but it would not stay running, evidently mules will not run off of a gravity tank to the carb.

I received the new fuel pump today, and after a rather lengthy install, I once again started a "rope pulling session", to my surprise after about 10 pulls it roared to life, promptly covering my Snap-on tool box with a fine coating of oil, fuel and rusty sparks.

After a short 1 minute run, I had to open the other garage door and turn on the exhaust fan to dissipate the super thick smokescreen the mule laid down!

But it runs!

Maybe a video will follow later this week.

Abbylind

Sounds like mine when I got it started first time. I used Seafoam to clean the carb and get the carbon build up out. Worked great! Very little smoke these days and quick starts. The VW starter is a great improvement also....

AMGeneral

Nothing much to report, I received 2 boxes of parts from John Emery on Thursday and finished changing all the gear case oils.

I did find one small problem, it appears I am losing engine oil through the rear main seal, it is gathering in the bell housing and running out the drain which I left out.

The clutch is stuck and will not release as well, so I guess I am pulling the engine next.

At any rate, here is a short video of it running.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ra-jNv-sw4&t=6s

Congratulations on getting your mule running. One reminder, BE SURE to pull the center tin shroud and look for a rats nest on the driver’s side jug. It seems to be a rare mule that has been sitting for years that doesn’t have a rodent nest which blocks airflow to that cylinder. You don’t want a cooked cylinder from overheating.

AMGeneral

Congratulations on getting your mule running. One reminder, BE SURE to pull the center tin shroud and look for a rats nest on the driver’s side jug. It seems to be a rare mule that has been sitting for years that doesn’t have a rodent nest which blocks airflow to that cylinder. You don’t want a cooked cylinder from overheating.

Understood, I actually pulled the engine to fix a stuck throw out bearing and replace a leaking rear main seal, I am going to take this opportunity to give the engine a good cleaning, both inside and out.

I also plan to replace the clutch disk as it was really rusted.

AMGeneral

It has been a while sine I updated this thread, been busy at work as well as my grading business on the side, but work has been progressing on the mule.

At this point, it is complete and driveable, I was able to locate(with some help) and purchase all the missing parts.

A special thanks to John Emery for all the parts and technical assistance, To Charles Witt for over the phone advice, To Eastern Surplus for the missing foot basket, and to Front Line Military Vehicles and Saturn Surplus for the engine parts.

At this point, all it needs is some small foot basket repair, a seat cushion assmy, plus tires and paint, all which should be finished before the GA rally I hope.

Congratulations on getting your mule running after that scavenger hunt. Always nice to bring one back from the dead isn’t it? How much trouble was it getting all of the pedals, cables, and clips for the foot basket, and what did you find wrong causing the clutch not to release? Was it just rust on the pressure plate, and flywheel?

AMGeneral

Congratulations on getting your mule running after that scavenger hunt. Always nice to bring one back from the dead isn’t it? How much trouble was it getting all of the pedals, cables, and clips for the foot basket, and what did you find wrong causing the clutch not to release? Was it just rust on the pressure plate, and flywheel?

Thanks,

I actually sourced the pedals and everything else for the basket from John Emery, the foot basket itself came from Eastern Surplus.

The release bearing carrier was rusted to the input shaft bearing retainer, after all was cleaned and lubed, all was well.

This mule and the other the fellow owned sat outside in the elements for about 10 years, I am surprised they were in as good a shape as they were.

rosie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey AM,

First, congratulations on getting the mule up and running. A word of caution, however; not trying to be a d*ck, but these vehicles can kill. They overturn very easily, and you may only get one chance. We keep all of our mules in low range only. We would hate to see you flip it over, and if you do, and are blessed to survive, you may do irreparable damage to the mule, and find that parts are no longer available.

Just our 2 cents, not meaning to rain on your parade, but please be very careful when enjoying the vehicle.

mulman7

For general travel driver and passenger I run about 4 psi in the tires to give a softer ride. If hauling fire wood then I go back to 12-15 psi. Going through the woods without a road I keep 12 psi to avoid hitting a stump or rocks and rolling the bead off the wheel. I only run tires that have tubes for that reason. Some like the tubeless application but for me I run tubes in the 7.50-10 and 26-1200 x 12 tires.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks