• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to me '86 M1008

smokeeater495

I just closed the deal tonight on a 1986 M1008. I had a good friend drive over and check it out for me. He said it's the nicest CUCV he's ever seen. Going to go get it Tuesday or Wednesday. It has just under 50,000 miles, new alternators, master cylinder and brake booster, and NO RUST.

Matt Kahle

I have a almost rust clean m1009 theres some rust in the front wheel wells and a little rust hole under the rear passenger seat footing and a little at the rear bumper.

smokeeater495

I'm going to pick it up tomorrow about 3 hours from home and I have to be 100% sure it starts the next morning. We are expecting temps in the single digits over the next few days. Are there any precautions I should take?

OL AG '89

bring it in the house with you to keep it warm........put in garage to keep it not as warm......... put a heat lamp NEAR the oil pan to provide some warmth to the oil.......... start it up several times during the night, not allowing it to cool off(not if in the house)...... I have actually put a heating blanket in the engine compartment of mine...... but I dont recommend it.......
Check out the batteries and make sure they have and can hold a full charge with a hygrometer(sp).......check coolant as well to make sure it can withstand the single digit temp AND protect the engine......

WAKE early to get it started AND warmed up BEFORE driving it in the morning...

ralbelt

Just in case it does not start DO NOT USE ETHER Bad things can Happen... Mine started in the single didgets 2 weeks ago. With a good glow plug system you should be good.

lonewolf90

Mine started a few weeks ago when it was -20 here in Michigan didn't have on problem fired right up. No block heater I just kept the hood coverd with a tarp over

smokeeater495

Just got home without issues. 3 hours on the interstate was interesting. This thing is a beast, I love it. Will post pics later. What's a source for the front lift shackles and pins? Prices on Ebay seem HIGH.

Last edited:

smokeeater495

Can someone decipher the abbreviation "NGIVLD" stenciled on the bed?
I had to replace the batteries this morning. The truck would not start and they both load tested under 200 amps. The local Interstate Battery store sold me 2 reconditioned Group 31 batteries, 950 cca,. for $40.00 each. What is the cold weather starting drill for these trucks? I cycled the glow plugs twice and she cranked over easy, was a little reluctant to fire. I gave it a little throttle and she fired with a big puff of diesel smoke.

Last edited:

smokeeater495

I took the truck to work the other day for a good cleaning and lube. Also installed new door lock cylinders and signal/stop bulbs. She sure was happy sitting inside, 70 degrees. I went out to start her up for work yesterday at home, -13f. She started up fine. I let it warm up and heard a snap from under the dash. There were NO lights. A little research indicated that all lighting power goes through the headlight switch. Obtained a replacement and 10 minutes later, fixed. The old switch felt pretty worn. So far this truck has been fun and easy to work on. Plans for the near future are a block heater and Eaton/Dana Trak Lok posi for the front.

smokeeater495

Here's the latest update. Lighting issue was the headlight switch and an old 30A resettable fuse in the fuse box. The fuse box itself looked great, no overheating. I installed a block heater yesterday, truck cranked right over this morning. Installing an LMC Truck headlight relay kit and new wiper motor tomorrow.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yepper, those are the "normal" things that get changed. Has the truck had the "doghead" relay change yet? If not, another thing I would recommend. Information for it can be found on-site. Interstate driving has to be a tad slow. LOL

God bless,
Tony

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The NGIVLD is most likely the military registration for it, if you haven't found it already the cold weather starting is on the back side of the sun visor. The DH relay is the single best thing besides the head light up grade which you have already done. Where are the pictures for this truck?

GuySmiley

Congrats! Mind if I ask what you paid? A PM is fine if you don't want to post it. I'm looking at an '84 now and just getting some ideas.

Also, what's a Doghead? :)

smokeeater495

OK. Just got done with installing parts. The LMC heavy duty headlight relay harness was a fairly easy install. New headlight too. Nice and bright now. I replaced my wiper motor with one from Auto Zone. It didn't have the washer pump. Their computer didn't show one with a pump, what's up with that? The Doghead relay mod was easy too. Someone had removed the factory relay and installed a push button switch with power straight from the battery. Glad to have it back to key start. I'll post some pics shortly.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks