• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to me and Dad M38A1

Al Harvey

If you look for pictures online, make sure you look at 3 or more pictures of the same item. That way you get a better idea and don't just look at what one person did because they might have changed something. Also Surplus City Jeep Parts has their parts catalog setup with pictures from the parts manual. It's a good quick reference when looking for what is missing that could help.

http://www.surplusjeep.com/M38A1/M38A1_Lead_Page.htm

Another Ahab

If you look for pictures online, make sure you look at 3 or more pictures of the same item. That way you get a better idea and don't just look at what one person did because they might have changed something. Also Surplus City Jeep Parts has their parts catalog setup with pictures from the parts manual. It's a good quick reference when looking for what is missing that could help.
Thanks Al Harvey, because that's great advice, IN GENERAL, for anything searched online.

Because the world-wide-web (beyond what it seems) is a really curious place:

Dog.jpg

wilfreeman

Hey Al, I have a question for you. I have the dreaded parking brake rattle. I haven't gotten under the Jeep yet to try to adjust it out. I am planning on doing that before the Denton, NC show in April though. Over on willysmjeeps site, Wes mentioned a spring (1/2" diameter x 4" long) running from the arm to the skid plate. I haven't found a pic of that spring installed on a Jeep. Lord knows I don't want to question Wes's knowledge, but have you heard of this as a quick fix, or a military fix?

Mine actually sounds like the arm is vibrating on the skid plate - kind of a solid hit, but definitely coming from the park brake area, if that makes sense. I can pull up on the handle (3-4 notches) and quiet it down somewhat, but it returns when I release the brake. I know the rod needs adjusting because it doesn't clamp down hard before the handle maxes out.

Al Harvey

Hey Al, I have a question for you. I have the dreaded parking brake rattle. I haven't gotten under the Jeep yet to try to adjust it out. I am planning on doing that before the Denton, NC show in April though. Over on willysmjeeps site, Wes mentioned a spring (1/2" diameter x 4" long) running from the arm to the skid plate. I haven't found a pic of that spring installed on a Jeep. Lord knows I don't want to question Wes's knowledge, but have you heard of this as a quick fix, or a military fix?

Mine actually sounds like the arm is vibrating on the skid plate - kind of a solid hit, but definitely coming from the park brake area, if that makes sense. I can pull up on the handle (3-4 notches) and quiet it down somewhat, but it returns when I release the brake. I know the rod needs adjusting because it doesn't clamp down hard before the handle maxes out.
I've heard of that rattle too. Right now I'm not that far into my rebuild but from what I've read, adding the spring was part of WO-803358. I haven't found that work order myself but also haven't searched too much. But if it goes away after adding a click or two and then comes back when releasing, I'd say that is the culprit of the rattle.

Helomedic these are the small issues that you will run into that can drive you nuts but, most of the time, others have had the same problem. Forums become your friend.

Another Ahab

I've heard of that rattle too. Right now I'm not that far into my rebuild but from what I've read, adding the spring was part of WO-803358. I haven't found that work order myself but also haven't searched too much. But if it goes away after adding a click or two and then comes back when releasing, I'd say that is the culprit of the rattle.

Helomedic these are the small issues that you will run into that can drive you nuts but, most of the time, others have had the same problem. Forums become your friend.
Because there for..uhm…problems like this.

wilfreeman

Oh yeah, once you are done with it - never mind, you will NEVER be completely DONE with it, LOL. There will always be stuff like this. These truck HAVE to be serviced regularly - check this, adjust that, replace that. But while doing this servicing, you are learning about your vehicle - becoming one with it, if you will. You will be able to notice when there is an odd noise or she isn't quite as powerful (carb, timing or points need adjusting). It is GREAT.

And he is definitely right about the forums! There is unlimited knowledge on them - free for the asking. A lot of the most knowledgeable were mechanics in the military or in their civilian life during that era. I'm sure you know this, but check out willysmjeeps and g503 forums. Wes started willymjeeps and was an Air Force mechanic (I think) during the '60s when these Jeeps were in service. Ben Dover (screen name - I forget his real name) is also one of the most knowledgeable on the G503, so he must have been a military mechanic also.

helomedic1171

Projects are never really done if you drive them. That's part of the fun. You get them working and then keep them going. I'm definitely looking forward to it, and Dad is sure excited. Reallytr I think everyone to include my mom and my wife are happy about it, which is funny... My wife usually just tolerates it and my mom just shakes her head when I bring home something to fix. But the ladies are looking at color combos and tires, and me and dad are gathering parts and tools and such so we can get started. A lot of good deals keep falling in our lap, so I have feeling this is going to go a lot smoother than we thought. We shall see. I have some time off coming up, so I'll post photos as we make progress.

wilfreeman

I did a little research on that number you gave me Al. As it turns out, that isn't a work order - it stands for Willys Overland. It is a Willys Overland part number. That part number correlates to the accelerator pedal return spring. I also found an image online of the pedal assembly from the manual that shows the spring attached to the skid plate with the same part number. So there you have it! I'm going to take mine off and check the local hardware store to see if they have a match (doubtful, but maybe).

Another Ahab

I did a little research on that number you gave me Al. As it turns out, that isn't a work order - it stands for Willys Overland. It is a Willys Overland part number. That part number correlates to the accelerator pedal return spring. I also found an image online of the pedal assembly from the manual that shows the spring attached to the skid plate with the same part number. So there you have it! I'm going to take mine off and check the local hardware store to see if they have a match (doubtful, but maybe).
My experience says the Big Box stores are almost useless when it comes to making matches like this (and the personnel there typically are completely clueless).

And the local Mom-and-Pop hardware stores where you have the best chance of finding the miscellaneous loose hardware for stuff like that are now mostly gone, so it's tough.

We have at least (2) of those priceless kinds of ma-and-pa stores here in the DC area (on the Virginia side); Cherrydale Hardware in Cherrydale and Executive Lock & Key in Alexandria. And then there's also Frager's Hardware in DC itself. But of course, you all are in SC.

But if I can help you out with that somehow, I'm glad to give it a shot.

wilfreeman

Yeah, we still have 1 old time hardware store in town - worth a shot. Maybe I can find one with the correct length and tension if not a perfect match. I'm more really concerned with show quality on my Jeep. If I can't, I guess I will have to pay the big bucks (for shipping) for the dealers.

helomedic1171

question for the group - what is this thing? I have a theory, and Wilfreeman has an idea, but I wanted to see if anyone has seen one of these and might definitively know what it is.

IMAG0419.jpg

IMAG0417.jpg

IMAG0418.jpg

helomedic1171

they don't. there's one wire on the back (firewall side of this box) that dangles down to the frame near a ground connection, and the other side (radiator side) hs two wires that are just kinda laying in there. no douglas connectors on any of the 3 wires, and no other markings. I may just unbolt it and check on the bottom for markings. the vehicle's wiring harness does not appear to be tampered with, and everything appears to still have the original douglas connectors where applicable, no splices or bubba hacks that I can see. I think it may be a solid-state regulator for 28VDC, to replace the frame-mounted regulator that came in these jeeps. I can get more photos, and I may just remove it altogether so I can look under it.

helomedic1171

so if that's what it is, then I wouldn't necessarily need that big frame-mounted monster box? that would be awesome. Wilfreeman already suggested I look into one. if the jeep already HAS one, that would be t..... uh, boobies.

ducer

Definately not solid state far too big and old, but it does look like a voltage regulator. If the points aint pitted and the coils are not burned out it may still work.

Denny

helomedic1171

Dad's been traveling and I've been working and then watching the girls (we've got twin 3 yr olds) while the wife goes job hunting. I'm getting out in September, so she's going to carry the paycheck while I go back to school. we've been gathering a lot of parts - I'm going up to see WillFreeman in a week or so, and I'm talking to a couple of other members to get a few things we need. we also picked up a blasting pot, a blast cabinet, some walnut shell media, a tumbler, and a deadman kit and a soda conversion kit for the blast pot.

we also hit a slight SNAFU - this jeep is supposed to be a Marine Jeep, but hidden under the paint on the hood, I found "US ARMY" and some numbers.... I don't know if this hood is original or not to this jeep, but assuming it is, we need to carefully save those numbers since everyone says the hood numbers are nearly impossible to figure out unless you already have them or have a lot of data/history with the Jeep. that said, once I get a good idea of what the numbers are, I'm going to start disassembly and prep for blasting. I like to think of this phase as the organization phase. :) it's also been crappy weather lately, so that hasn't helped either.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks