• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to me M1123, PS PB failure....

muttandjeeps

Driving my new M1123 home, made it over 200 miles without issue....temp reaching 220, fan. comes on, back down to around 200-210..all is good.
About 40 miles from home, notice gauge staying on temp around 180ish, fan staying on, no big deal I thinks. Ok, need fuel at 1/4 tank, pull off exit, no brakes, attempt to pull in station, no PS......nice.
Lift the hood, and the line on the front of PS pump has popped off.....just sitting there, laughing at me..
Waiting on ramp truck now....tomorrow I plan on getting new line and clamps, refilling system, jacking front of ground, and turning wheel back and forth 200 times with engine off...do I have it right that this will bleed system with the turning the wheel?
Thanks much in advance!

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Even Arnold Schwarzenegger won’t be able to turn the steering wheel with the engine off.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Have to ask........ Prior to the little road trip was there any maintenance or PMCS work done??

Kick the tires and go, CAMO

Next thread... where's all the foam coming from.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Driving my new M1123 home, made it over 200 miles without issue....temp reaching 220, fan. comes on, back down to around 200-210..all is good.
About 40 miles from home, notice gauge staying on temp around 180ish, fan staying on, no big deal I thinks. Ok, need fuel at 1/4 tank, pull off exit, no brakes, attempt to pull in station, no PS......nice.
Lift the hood, and the line on the front of PS pump has popped off.....just sitting there, laughing at me..
Waiting on ramp truck now....tomorrow I plan on getting new line and clamps, refilling system, jacking front of ground, and turning wheel back and forth 200 times with engine off...do I have it right that this will bleed system with the turning the wheel?
Thanks much in advance!
Somebody may have a better comment - but adding fluid to the power steering reservoir and turning it a bit with the truck running should flush out the air. I wouldn't sit there on asphalt and grind the tires left to right though... That works everything related steering awful hard.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do it a bunch of times not running, then do it a bunch of times while running. (40 times each direction and waiting like 5 seconds at full lock each way I believe)

When I did mine it didn't like me no matter how many times I tried, so eventually I gave up and just filled the reservoir to overflowing. Once it bled out it was a little high, but not too bad. It did puke a bunch of fluid all over the ground for a bit after starting it up (left the cap off for the first start up), so if you do this route have something to catch it all (big sheet of cardboard or giant drip pan).

And yes, DEX 3 is the correct fluid.
Dex 6 replaced DEX 3 so it's a little harder to find, but this is one application where it is not backwards compatible.

TNDRIVER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the reply’s….so, add fluid and turn wheel with front end up….running or not running?
And Dextron 3, correct?
Replace all lines..
Jack up front nearly off ground..
Top off reservoir..
Turn wheel one way to lock, stop, refill reservoir..
Turn wheel opposite lock, stop, refill reservoir..
Turn wheel opposite lock, stop, refill reservoir.. are you catching on???
The reservoir will empty quickly at first ..... one bad hose / clamp this is a good time to check/ replace the rest. There are two behind the driver side splash shield also.Guess how I found them to be bad! Done the 998 twice, about to tackle the 1123.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i can’t figure out why folks think they can take a truck that’s sat in the desert for 10yrs or more and just drive it home 200miles. Tires are out of round, fluids are so far past change intervals even by civilian standards, hoses are dried out, which makes for lose hose clamps, hence what happened to you. I get a truck a week or so from the auction, every truck has what could ultimately be catastrophic failure waiting the happen, 65% have serius fuel leaks.
I don’t see where the money is saved once you pay your tow truck And fix any and all damage possibly caused.
I get all the shop hmmwvs transported for $450 from Barstow to SF Bay Area….cheap insurance.
I know if I say, read the TM’s it offends many people….so I won’t bother.

Last edited:

M1165A1

i can’t figure out why folks think they can take a truck that’s sat in the desert for 10yrs or more and just drive it home 200miles. Tires are out of round, fluids are so far past change intervals even by civilian standards, hoses are dried out, which makes for lose hose clamps, hence what happened to you.
I don’t see where the money is saved once you pay your tow truck And fix any and all damage possibly caused.
I get all the shop hmmwvs transported for $450 from Barstow to SF Bay Area….cheap insurance.
I know if I say, read the TM’s it offends many people….so I won’t bother.

There's a laundry list of stuff that can be wrong, but just the thought of riding on a highway with potentially catastrophically failing MTR tires should be enough to give anyone pause.

tgejesse

There's a laundry list of stuff that can be wrong, but just the thought of riding on a highway with potentially catastrophically failing MTR tires should be enough to give anyone pause.
This might be a dumb question, but are all MTR tired assumed to be catastrophically falling? I have an 2009 m1123 rebuild from yermo and my tires look dry and slightly cracked, nothing crazy alarming. Am I insane to drive on these?

M1165A1

This might be a dumb question, but are all MTR tired assumed to be catastrophically falling? I have an 2009 m1123 rebuild from yermo and my tires look dry and slightly cracked, nothing crazy alarming. Am I insane to drive on these?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
For whatever it might be worth, tire stores won't mount a tire with a date code that is more than 10 years old.

Pure logic - no research by me at all - says those folks who could earn a few bucks putting tires on rims aren't saying no without a reason. My GUESS is that there is a DOT requirement somewhere that forces them to say no.

If you have cracks in the sidewalls of your tires it could be time to replace them before something goes bad. That way you don't end up in a ditch or under an eighteen wheeler if you have a blowout.

EDIT: Seems like 5 years is a concern with Goodyear MT/R tires, see post above this one.

muttandjeeps

Update: changed the return line to one of the correct length, filled with Dex lll, bled system, perfect again. Thanks to those who offered help.
BTW, my truck came from a seller who changed all fluids, checked replaced shafts, boots, brakes as needed. The line that came off had been on there for a good bit, but was about 1 to 2 inches short of length needed to capture enough of the PS pump neck….whoever originally installed it wasn’t really into making sure it was correct….

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Update: changed the return line to one of the correct length, filled with Dex lll, bled system, perfect again. Thanks to those who offered help.
BTW, my truck came from a seller who changed all fluids, checked replaced shafts, boots, brakes as needed. The line that came off had been on there for a good bit, but was about 1 to 2 inches short of length needed to capture enough of the PS pump neck….whoever originally installed it wasn’t really into making sure it was correct….

Having responded to the original post, I may have misunderstood the whole story. Wouldn't be the first time. BUT what's important is nobody got hurt.

Next IMO... My experience... Being prepared when heading out in old surplus military rig is priority one. It's a good idea to have a good understanding of all the systems and then basic tools, cheap test light or meter, Dextron / oil / fluids, belts, hoses, clamps, tie raps, some wire, coveralls, etc. on board. That's just to get one thinking. Forgot black tape, LOL. Cheap insurance when something goes wonky. Might even have to help out a JEEP buddy. HAHa

Not so sure HumV as the daily driver, unless one wants to be the weekly mechanic. Seems to always need a little TLC, as I am Mr. PMCS once a month.

I trust my work and the reliability of the rig to go the distance... but but but, one never knows for sure.

Not waiting on AAA and not going to be late for dinner, CAMO

What's in your kit???

muttandjeeps

Appreciate the comment. Having had 6 Pinzgauers, 7 MUTTS, 2 Unimogs, 2 M170’s, a couple M38’s, 3 Military Volvo’s, and a bunch of old Willy’s over the years, I can’t disagree with a thing you said….

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks