• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to me M135!! Buzzing sound HELP!!!

donkdonk

I just started up the Deuce today... put in 2 batteries and it fired right up!! Question: when you turn the ignition switch on, you get a loud low pitched buzzing sound. The truck fires right up, but the buzzing does not go away. Its a low pitch, not like a low air pressure on a modern truck which is much more high pitched. It seems to be coming from the engine bay.

This is my first experience with a M135 (or any 2 1/2 ton truck) and I do not want to attempt first drive until I address this. Any thoughts??

Attachments

donkdonk

Thanks for the quick reply westfolk. I love this site, "real time" troubleshooting! I only let it run for a few minutes out of fear of the noise. What, if any, are the buzzers that should start as soon as I turn on the ignition?

citizensoldier

Make sure your air tank valve is closed! It could be trying to pump up and leaking out the tank if someone drained them and didnt close it. This sounds like a normal air buzzer to me and it should pump up to pressure and go off. If not you could have a leak somewhere else..

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The "low air" warning buzzer should go off at 60#. As said, some can sound funny & keep in mind that its bolted to other sheet metal, so it can transmit sounds/vibrations. Another possibility is the electric fuel pump in the gas tank. They can make a squall too, especially if your low on gas.

Lee in Alaska

donkdonk

Thanks guys! You were right... low air pressure. I guess I need to get used to the buzzer vibrating the whole cab. :D

New issue: Brakes have no pedal... DOH!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
donkdonk said:
Thanks guys! You were right... low air pressure. I guess I need to get used to the buzzer vibrating the whole cab. :D

New issue: Brakes have no pedal... DOH!
The never ending cycle has begun!

mo-mudder

I had a similar problem on mine, except that the governor on the compressor was stuck to where it WOULDN'T stop pressurising the system, and the air buzzer was stuck open to where it wouldn't shut off, regardless of how much air there was in the system. I had to fabricate my own was to depressurise the system (using a bendix governow off a semi that would dump when there was 120 psi or air in the system). It worked like a champ for a while, then I noticed on a road trip that my constant pressure dropped from 120 to 90. I was a bit concerned, but not terribly worried. I figured the governor on the compressor just started working again after sitting idle for who-knows-how-long. Only problem now is there's no low-air buzzer. I could go back and reinstall one in one of the many fittings, but right now I have bigger issues to deal with.

donkdonk

Thanks for all the help guys, got her going.. needed nothing but batteries!

Question:

I have done a little research, and from what I have read the M135's came with single rear wheels vs duals for the M211... this truck says M135 so I assume there were M135's with duals as well??

Thanks!

Attachments

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
M135s all had single 11.00-20 tires around - and also had wheel wheels in the bed (as your truck does). The XM211 and M211 used dual rear wheels, and all the tires were 9.00-20, and, the bed did not have fender wells. The truck above is definately a M135 someone has put dual 9.00-20s on.

HTH,
David Doyle

pa.rich

Its hard to tell from the last picture, but it may have had the hubs flipped to the same position as the 211's to accomodate the dual wheels. If you go back to the original position it looks too narrow as it is. The rears should be out further when singled. What do you guys think from the last pic?

nattieleather

Those are standard GI lights been used since the 1970s. The modern ones are LED but look the same.

It is a direct bolt up and you can get them from many many surpluss dealers and even on e-bay.

hippiedude

Nice truck !!!! [thumbzup] There is a TM 9-8024 on E-bay right now ....If it has been sitting a long time check your gas tank good !!!! Fuel filters are in the tank....Good luck... Tim

williamh

truck looks great !!! i don't think that you can flip the hubs on the m135 .. may just have the dual wheels on it . did they retrofit turn signals on it ???

FreightTrain

Banned
You have more important things to worry about other than SAFETY,Mo-Mudder?Without that buzzer how do you know you have brakes when you are comming up to a redlight at 45MPH?No air Little to no braking power.And if you end up hitting a car or worst a pedestrian then that automatically puts you into Vehicular manslaughter cause you willingly operated a motor vehicle with bypassed or removed safety equipment.Even if you don't kill someone then when your insurance finds out that the reason you hit them cause you had to brakes,cause you didn't want to worry about a noisy buzzer they will dump your coverage and leave you hung out to dry on the neglicent act.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks