• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to me m59 dump truck...

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
It's been a while since I've done any work on the 2.5 ton dump so I figured I better make some progress now that the weather is decent. Drove it out front and started sanding and priming the back half of the frame, as well as the quarter fenders and brackets.
IMG_2103.jpgIMG_2102.jpgIMG_2134.jpgIMG_2132.jpgIMG_2133.jpgIMG_2130.jpg
My plan of using 3 other trucks for parts has turned out pretty good. By selling off all the extra parts I've now got less money in the dump truck than I paid for it originally. Not bad considering I started with a truck with a stuck engine, no cab protector, junk tires, sprag t-case, no radiator, etc. Now it has a running multifuel engine, cab protector, 11 good tires set aside, air shift t-case, multifuel fenders, winch kit, etc. Good thing I'm not keeping track of the time invested though.:)

Last edited:

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Looks like some air force blue under the army green. Not sure if you already discussed this but, have you made a final color selection?
The paint scheme will match the m756a2. Gillespie 24087 paint with army markings, stars, etc.
IMG_3191.JPG
The quarter fender had blue paint on it but the mounting brackets for it didn't.
At this point it's almost impossible to tell what parts are original and what has been changed over the last 64 years. I believe it was bought from a surplus dealer in NY back in the 80s by a friend of mine. He worked for that dealer and I'm sure would have taken whatever parts it needed off of other trucks being scrapped including at least one other m59 that he gave me the data tag from.

In the 90s that friend sold the truck to another friend of mine that ran the surplus yard I work out of now. The front fenders and maybe other sheet metal were changed out with parts from a forestry deuce which was part of the deal. The cab was swapped at some point as well before it was all painted green. It definitely could have picked up more parts at that point as well.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Started spraying a little bit of paint today. The goal is to get the quarter fenders on the truck in the next couple days. I'm sick of moving those around the barn.
IMG_2224.jpgIMG_2223.jpgIMG_2222.jpg
The other day I dug out a 5 ton PTO to sell and it had the aux output for a dump truck installed on it.:shock: So I swapped that with the rear cover on the deuce PTO I'm keeping as a spare. I've got to pay better attention to what I buy.:)
IMG_2221.jpg

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
They're not perfect but they're on the truck at least. There is supposed to be one more brace on the top of each one, I've got to reweld the one I've got then make another for the passenger side.
IMG_2231.jpgIMG_2232.jpgIMG_2230.jpg

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
I bought the truck two years ago today and it's still not even close to done. I fired it up yesterday and it still drives and tips though!
Maybe next year.:-x
IMG_2633.jpg

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am planning a petition to suspend the seasons. I can't deal with shorter and shorter daylight hours where you can't get anything done after coming home from work, falling leaves that stick to my fresh paint and constant threat of rain showers when I am working on my truck outside.
I want June back!

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
I am planning a petition to suspend the seasons. I can't deal with shorter and shorter daylight hours where you can't get anything done after coming home from work, falling leaves that stick to my fresh paint and constant threat of rain showers when I am working on my truck outside.
I want June back!
Maybe this winter I'll clear some space in the barn so I can at least get some work done on parts and pieces. If I stopped buying projects that would help too.

DavidWymore

Keep it up! I gotta get the motivation to do head gaskets, it's desert season. Then hopefully paint when winter start to warm back up in a few months.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
I didn't get time over the winter to do a single thing to the dump truck.
I did figure out that the TV episode it was pictured in is from 1991.
IMG_0498.jpg
I also found a shipping receipt for it that shows the first time it came to the yard was in 1995. It was bought as a package deal with an m108 crane truck. Parts from a yellow cab and chassis truck were bought along with it to replace all the missing front sheet metal. I still haven't found a good pic of it in yard back in the day but it's in both shots below. It's on the very left, in the same shape as in 91. The one with the bucket on the fender is the m108. You can also see it to the left of the m35 cargo truck in the second pic.
RTNU2879.jpgNIAJ3328.jpg
If I didn't already know it was supposed to be parked in that spot I wouldn't notice it's the same truck, but the engine details are the same.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
At the NJ show I picked up a mint windshield frame for $20 so I put that on today. I think I'm going to use the headlight panels off of a 1967 truck instead of the 1966 panels that allow for high or low headlights. While putting on a replacement hood I noticed the truck has an LDS IP. Not sure how I missed that.
IMG_3167.jpgIMG_3176.jpgIMG_3179.jpgIMG_3170.jpg

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
The dump truck has actually been a little useful lately while doing some tree trimming around the yard. It would really be nice if it was on the road but at least it's somewhat operable.
IMG_3449.jpgIMG_3448.jpgIMG_3491.jpg
A couple years back I learned that the m108 a couple posts up is owned by another friend of mine, and I've been wanting to get a look at it since then. It needs a ton of work and a ton of parts but it's pretty cool that it's still around.
IMG_3494.jpgIMG_3496.jpgIMG_3498.jpgIMG_3499.jpgIMG_3503.jpgIMG_3504.jpgIMG_3511.jpg

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You really need to get the m108. I hope one day to find a nice dump

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks