• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to me m59 dump truck...

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
I didn't realize the bows were stored in that manner, many thanks!
Well technically they aren't, at least I've never seen them stored there on a dump truck. That's just an idea I had, I've got quite a few of the short metal uprights I could use and that seemed like a good place to store them (and keep from damaging them).
The tailgate on that GMC looks in okay shape. I got no way of getting it here if you were of a mind to sell it. It's a lot better shape than mine.
The GMC tailgate is pretty straight but looks to be getting a little crusty at the welds/seams. I would like to keep it with the bed at least until I figure out what I'll do with the whole bed setup, but I'll let you know first if I decide to sell it. Another m59 owner mentioned to me that he knew where NOS tailgates were, maybe he'll chime in or I can ask if he'd be willing to let you know if there is an extra he doesn't need. I'm sure SS members could get one moved across the country pretty easily.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
The m215 is being taken apart. The bed and tailgate are pretty rusty, it's too bad it was left full of dirt and trash for who knows how long - it probably would have been pretty decent. Still the subframe assembly looks pretty good, might be nice if I need spare parts.
IMG_0177.jpgIMG_0178.jpgIMG_0182.jpgIMG_0183.jpgIMG_0184.jpgIMG_0195.jpgIMG_0186.jpgIMG_0187.jpgIMG_0193.jpgIMG_0194.jpg

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The GMC tailgate is pretty straight but looks to be getting a little crusty at the welds/seams. I would like to keep it with the bed at least until I figure out what I'll do with the whole bed setup, but I'll let you know first if I decide to sell it. Another m59 owner mentioned to me that he knew where NOS tailgates were, maybe he'll chime in or I can ask if he'd be willing to let you know if there is an extra he doesn't need. I'm sure SS members could get one moved across the country pretty easily.
Memphis had some, they are sold out.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Today we changed the lower radiator hose and installed what I think is a good alternator on the m59.
IMG_0260.jpg
Bolted on the passenger side fender. Then started it up and drove it out back so the subframe could be lifted up with the forklift, as the wood spacers need to be a little shorter for the bolt holes to line up.
IMG_0261.jpgIMG_0262.jpgIMG_0263.jpg
An original board is on top, with one of the newer ones I had on the bottom.
IMG_0267.jpg

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
The running board at the top is from a short wheelbase truck (m275a2 tractor). The one below is from an m35a2. Both are driver's side. There are differences in the brace underneath and the inside lip. Both will need to be cut up for a regular running board to fit on a SWB truck. Holes will also need to be drilled to bolt on the small shield that is specific to the trucks with the long driver's side tank.
IMG_0271.jpg

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Since it rained all day we took a look at cutting up some m35a2 bows to fit the narrow dump bed.
First we cut up a junk wooden bow to find the right length
IMG_0272.jpg
Metal bow:
IMG_0273.jpg
Ready to weld the joint
IMG_0275.jpg
The difference
IMG_0274.jpg
The set of 4 on the truck
IMG_0276.jpgIMG_0277.jpgIMG_0278.jpg
It looks like an m35a2 cover will work fine with a little bit of modification at the front.
IMG_0279.jpgIMG_0280.jpg

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Test fitting some more body panels today.
IMG_0281.jpgIMG_0286.jpgIMG_0287.jpg
Yes everything should be relatively the same but since everything's off a different truck things need a little tweaking to sit right.
Truck 1: cab
Truck 2: hood
Truck 3 driver's door
Truck 4 passenger door/grille/driver's fender
Truck 5 Headlight doors/side panels
Truck 6 West coast mirrors
...and a new passenger fender

I'm using the old style headlight doors that can be rotated for high or low headlights. I think 1966 was the last year for those. Since they're off the non-winch tractor I'll need to find the rubber isolators since they all broke.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Torched out the remains of the rivets for the forward subframe mounts, they were half removed already (by the previous owner I'm guessing since he had the bed on his other truck). Replaced with bolts. Planed the boards and reinstalled them and then bolted the bed assembly down. Can't wait to get the PTO so I can test the function of the dump bed.
IMG_0394.jpgIMG_0392.jpgIMG_0393.jpgIMG_0395.jpgIMG_0398.jpgIMG_0397.jpgIMG_0399.jpg

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Started cutting the broken tarp hooks and old patches off the bed. The passenger door rot has been fixed and it's on the truck, could use a little adjustment. Got a new plastic battery box set to go, and I straightened out the replacement running boards and modified the driver's side board to fit correctly on the shorter truck. Those are ready for some non-slip coating. The previous owner removed the PTO off his other truck so it looks like I'll be able to install that pretty soon.
IMG_0401.jpgIMG_0416.jpgIMG_0419.jpgIMG_0420.jpgIMG_0421.jpgIMG_0422.jpgIMG_0417.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks