• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to me m59 dump truck...

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You're a good msn to restore the old beauty. [thumbzup]

It's hard to tell. Is there an engine and transmission in there; is it running?
Yes, there's an engine, transmission and it runs. The hydraulics for raising and lowering the bed works too. I've got a replacement cab, which once I get this cast off my arm, I'll be swapping it out. Got new brakes and repair kits for the brake cylinders. 4-6 more weeks and I can get working on it. This was the truck I bought from hendersonj.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm sorry. I didn't know about your arm.

Sure hope it's all healed up good and strong real soon. [thumbzup]:beer:
No worries, I had get surgery to get my wrist fused. Arthritis wrecked the joint. Too much damage to do anything else. I got busted up pretty bad while I was still on active duty. This is just the latest repair job from that fall. I think I'm on number 15 or maybe 16 surgeries from that incident.

Another Ahab

No worries, I had get surgery to get my wrist fused. Arthritis wrecked the joint. Too much damage to do anything else. I got busted up pretty bad while I was still on active duty. This is just the latest repair job from that fall. I think I'm on number 15 or maybe 16 surgeries from that incident.
The bad news is that accidents happen. And that this one happened to you. I'm sorry, Brother.

The good news is that we have medicine, doctors, and hospitals that know so much about correcting the accidents.

I sure hope this round of surgery works out as an improvement.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Few more for comparison.
Thanks Kenny, and thanks again for sending the link to the m215. Sure looks to me like there are differences in height.
IIRC, the 215 and 59 dump beds have the same part number.
Yes I remember at least the part numbers from Perfection Steel Body for both the m215 and m59 are the same. I had a list with the part numbers from the different manufacturers but can't find it now so I'd have to look it up again. The way I read the TM though it wasn't 100% clear to me what the assembly consisted of. Both my m59 and xm215 have Perfection Steel Body dump bed assemblies.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think you're correct. Two owners ago, there was a blue and a yellow M59. The blue one was
used as a donor for the yellow.
In one of my brighter moments. I decided I needed all the M59s. Like a fool, I bought the yellow one on Wisconsin and with the help of Steel Soldiers members, shipped it to S FL. Then the blue one came up. Again, Steel Soldiers members to the rescue. Tbis truck never made it to FL, it was parted out in OH and parts came south on the express service. Like most stuff, I didn't do much to it and sold it off. There are a few thousand dollars in shipping and headaches I'll never ger back. Was a fun ride though. I will be a fun project for you.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm chomping at the bit to get it up and running. It's going to be my Navy truck. That'll give me one truck from each of the DOD services. It's cool factor is way up there!

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
There is just enough height in the cab protector to store the old style metal uprights, 4 on each side. If I find a few more dropside corners I'll have a complete set of bows, I'll just need to shorten and weld a set of metal bows to fit the narrower dump bed.
IMG_0097.jpg
Jeff, does your m59 have holes in the cab protector for a pioneer tool rack? I can't tell from any of the pics posted, and I haven't noticed an m59 with the tool rack yet.
IMG_0096.jpg

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is just enough height in the cab protector to store the old style metal uprights, 4 on each side. If I find a few more dropside corners I'll have a complete set of bows, I'll just need to shorten and weld a set of metal bows to fit the narrower dump bed.
View attachment 676484
Jeff, does your m59 have holes in the cab protector for a pioneer tool rack? I can't tell from any of the pics posted, and I haven't noticed an m59 with the tool rack yet.
View attachment 676485
Yes, there are mount holes for the pioneer tool rack. I didn't know
they were there. Glad I have a spare rack stashed away.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
At the NJ MV show this weekend I picked up some more parts for the m59 including a new passenger fender, some front marker lights, the bumper step, some bow corners, new canvas seat covers from jatonka, metal clearance lights if I decide to use them, both 2.5 ton and 5 ton canvas cargo covers (I'll adapt whichever fits better), and some other stuff I may or may not use for this project.

An old pic of the yard. The truck with the tan billboards on the bumper is the m756a2 pipeline truck, the truck on the passenger side of it is the m59. I'm guessing this is in the mid to late 1990's.
vtcs 2.jpg
A few weeks ago:
IMG_0002.jpg

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Cut up a 5 ton dropside headboard to steal the bow holders. The space in the middle clears the tarp hook nicely. I think some canvas straps and footman loops up top would work good to help retain everything.
IMG_0171.jpgIMG_0172.jpg

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks