• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to me m59 dump truck...

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will be saving all the tractor parts in case someone buys a tractor that has been converted to a cargo and wants to make it original again. Hopefully at some point I'll find someone who scraps a dump truck and wants to save the cab protector for someone's future restoration.:-D
Do you still have the spacers under the 5th wheel plate? That's all I am missing for my M48.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
The previous owner of the truck stopped by today and brought along a couple more pieces. The original dump lever data tag and the driveshaft that runs the pump. It seems to have a pretty good curve to it but it will work one way or another.
IMG_3575.jpgIMG_3574.jpg

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Since it was a little warmer today we dragged the dump truck out front and on to the concrete. We removed the doors/mirrors, the gas fuel tank, and passenger seat. My goal is to have the truck make its next move under its own power. We'll have to drill the frame for the fuel lines, install the fuel tank/lines/primary filter assembly, hook up the clutch linkage, install driveshafts, and then some basic wiring at the least.
IMG_3596.jpgIMG_3597.jpgIMG_3592.jpgIMG_3591.jpgIMG_3595.jpgIMG_3594.jpgIMG_3593.jpg

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Getting closer. Drilled the holes in the frame for the lines and primary filter assembly. I also changed out the fuel tank guard which is specific to the short-wheelbase trucks; that m275a2 donor truck has been a huge help. The original was ok but just a little bent up.
The new tank is now sitting on the brackets with the lines going through the frame, there's not a lot of room to work under the cab.
IMG_3598.jpgIMG_3601.jpgIMG_3599.jpgIMG_3600.jpg

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
The one on the left is 1.25", the one on the right is 1". No mag drill, just used a couple cordless drills. I drilled the one on the right with regular bits and the other with a hole-saw.

Last edited:

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
With some problems with other vehicles and trailers I didn't get to work on the dump truck too much in the last week or two. Had to move it back into the mud to get other stuff done.:-|
IMG_3605.jpg
We ran the rest of the fuel lines a few days ago. Yesterday we installed the jackshaft, rear driveshaft, throttle linkage/cable, and a wire to the fuel shut off. Also hooked up the clutch linkage as well. Hooked jumper wires to the in tank pump and bled air out up to the secondary filters.
Today we tried to pull start the truck but failed, so we hooked up the slave cable/jumper cables to the starter instead. Bled some more air out at the secondary filters and tried again and it fired right up. Took it for a quick trip around the yard and parked it.:mrgreen:

IMG_3613.jpgIMG_3614.jpgIMG_3615.jpgIMG_3616.jpgIMG_3617.jpg

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
More boring stuff done today: Various lines in the engine bay hooked up, air shift transfer case switch installed. Easy work with a couple parts trucks to pick from. Just need to look and see if I've got an engine stop cable around somewhere, neither parts rig had one.
IMG_3620.jpgIMG_3619.jpgIMG_3618.jpg

Another Ahab

More boring stuff done today: Various lines in the engine bay hooked up, air shift transfer case switch installed. Easy work with a couple parts trucks to pick from. Just need to look and see if I've got an engine stop cable around somewhere, neither parts rig had one.
View attachment 670315
The firewall on that rig looks brand-spanking new (compared to the rest of the truck), was there a panel over that or something (or just from being under the cover of the hood, maybe)?

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
I sprayed some paint on it before I put the multifuel engine in. It's nothing special I just wanted it to match what the rest of the truck will be eventually. The whole cab is pretty beat, it's had a ton of welding done underneath. It's pretty solid but I certainly would have traded it for a better one (especially since it had to have been off the truck for all that welding). Not sure if it was put on by the military or once it was in civilian hands (I'm told it came from this yard originally). I'll have to weld in new front corners where the fenders bolt, maybe a couple other small patches too. My other two cabs are much worse so I'll stick with the one on the truck.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Looks like this one will be on it's way from PA to VT in the hopefully not too distant future.:lol:
1595.jpg4.jpg6.jpg
The owner says it was running many years ago and the cylinders were oiled and the engine turned once in a while. I don't want to cut up yet another truck for the m59 so maybe if it's not bad I could try to get it running and sell it off complete, but without the original cab protector.

The air system on the m59 is now hooked up completely, I'll just need to change out the line to the emergency gladhand as that was crushed at some point and leaks pretty good. I also hooked up the battery cables to the starter so the truck will start with just hooking up the slave cable and jumping the solenoid.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
I changed out the emergency glad hand line yesterday and then ran the truck. Tightened up a couple other fittings and then let it sit. Over 24 hours later and there was still over 30lbs of air in the system so I'd say it's good.

Today I cut out both front cab corners and welded in new metal. They still need work but they should be good enough when they're done. Both looked to have been done before at some point.
IMG_0007.jpgIMG_0008.jpgIMG_0009.jpg

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Got the driver's side multifuel fender test fitted, this one is not bad with just a few small patches needed that I've welded in since the pictures. I'll pick up an NOS passenger side fender next week at the NJ show.
IMG_0010.jpgIMG_0011.jpgIMG_0012.jpg
With a little bending we were able to get the bent bumper that came with the truck back on. With a little more straightening it looks pretty good. I might bend the driver's side up a little more but it doesn't look bad. I'll just need to order one of the long 1/2" bolts that goes through the shackle mount. I also straightened up the winch top plate.
IMG_0033.jpgIMG_0034.jpgIMG_0036.jpgIMG_0037.jpg
Hopefully the m215 will be arriving this weekend.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
IMG_0079.jpg
Cab protector is in good shape, just needs a little straightening.
IMG_0081.jpgIMG_0082.jpg
Not too heavy to handle but the forklift makes it easier:
IMG_0083.jpg
I think my guess that GMC cab protectors are taller than at least some of the REO ones is correct, maybe someone will post a height of an m59 one to compare. Doesn't look bad though in my opinion, similar to a 5 ton in height.
IMG_0090.jpgIMG_0084.jpgIMG_0085.jpgIMG_0093.jpgIMG_0091.jpg
IMG_0086.jpgIMG_0088.jpgIMG_0094.jpg
Most of an NOS exhaust kit for GMCs which isn't easy to find.
IMG_0087.jpg
According to the ad all ten tires match and are like new. I know when I think of new tires I think of BF Goodrich Silvertowns! I could see that they were Silvertowns in the pics so I expected them to look like this.
IMG_0089.jpg
Thankfully the motor does indeed turn over which is nice. Overall the GMC is too rough in my opinion to restore so it will be parted out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks