• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to the M1009

Winkelkl

I am acquiring my brother's 1984 M1009 this week, and I'm trying to figure out if I will be able to put it back on the road or not. It does have some severe body rot and a boat load of Previous owner (not my brother) applied bedliner to the exterior. Any tips or pointers on if it will be savable?

Here's what I know thus far.

1) Can't try to turn it over until we get keys (brother passed, and his wife passed so her brother has to find the keys)
2) Front clip, Tailgate & Rear bumper have been swapped for Civilian K5 parts
3) Roof is shot, major rust in quarters, rocker panels, and one large hole behind drivers seat in floorboard.
4) Some questionable wiring (push button switch maybe ignition under driver's seat)
5) Missing the blackout light switch panel on the dash and probably some other pieces I'm sure I'll run across as I look more at it.

I'm sure I'll run across more, but that was just a cursory 30 minute look over on Monday.

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I am acquiring my brother's 1984 M1009 this week, and I'm trying to figure out if I will be able to put it back on the road or not. It does have some severe body rot and a boat load of Previous owner (not my brother) applied bedliner to the exterior. Any tips or pointers on if it will be savable?

Here's what I know thus far.

1) Can't try to turn it over until we get keys (brother passed, and his wife passed so her brother has to find the keys)
2) Front clip, Tailgate & Rear bumper have been swapped for Civilian K5 parts
3) Roof is shot, major rust in quarters, rocker panels, and one large hole behind drivers seat in floorboard.
4) Some questionable wiring (push button switch maybe ignition under driver's seat)
5) Missing the blackout light switch panel on the dash and probably some other pieces I'm sure I'll run across as I look more at it.

I'm sure I'll run across more, but that was just a cursory 30 minute look over on Monday.
Anything can be repaired if you want to invest enough time and money. You might find another truck in better shape and combine the parts into one good truck. There is rot in a lot of these trucks. In the front fenders in particular. That top looks pretty sad, but somebody who is good and bodywork might perform magic for you.

Spray-On bed liner hides a multitude of sins. Getting that off is a real pain.

Sadly hacked up wiring seems to be more normal than it should be. Removing the hacks and replacing the harness with new-to-you wiring will make your life a lot easier. As has been said many times here - Fix it once and Fix it right is the only way to fly.

Winkelkl

Anything can be repaired if you want to invest enough time and money. You might find another truck in better shape and combine the parts into one good truck. There is rot in a lot of these trucks. In the front fenders in particular. That top looks pretty sad, but somebody who is good and bodywork might perform magic for you.

Spray-On bed liner hides a multitude of sins. Getting that off is a real pain.

Sadly hacked up wiring seems to be more normal than it should be. Removing the hacks and replacing the harness with new-to-you wiring will make your life a lot easier. As has been said many times here - Fix it once and Fix it right is the only way to fly.
My wife has a K5 that I'm not sure what we want to do with. Our nephew was supposed to buy it from her but that was 3 years ago and it's still sitting behind my shop at home..... If he doesn't and the body is good it may be the transplant donor.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
My wife has a K5 that I'm not sure what we want to do with. Our nephew was supposed to buy it from her but that was 3 years ago and it's still sitting behind my shop at home..... If he doesn't and the body is good it may be the transplant donor.
That could be a heck of a plan!
Between the two, maybe there are enough good parts to make one nice truck!

Winkelkl

That could be a heck of a plan!
Between the two, maybe there are enough good parts to make one nice truck!
I wanted to keep it all military, but if I have to I'll swap in what I need.

My original goal (before I even put eyes on it) was to make it a tribute to him, my father and my grandfather. I was not able to go into the military due to messed up knees from playing football. I still have my dad, and want him to enjoy it as well.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I wanted to keep it all military, but if I have to I'll swap in what I need.

My original goal (before I even put eyes on it) was to make it a tribute to him, my father and my grandfather. I was not able to go into the military due to messed up knees from playing football. I still have my dad, and want him to enjoy it as well.
Absolutely! Heck of a plan!

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think I'd start with getting it running...replacing the ignition interlock switch is cheap and easy...I did mine yesterday for 18$ and about 20 minutes.. plus it'll have new keys too...if it has batteries check them for the acid and charge them up...see if it turns over ok and the engine isn't locked up with a socket on the crank...can try to start it if it does...it may be ok...I'd pull the air cleaner and have a block to cover the intake if it takes off though...as far as the body goes a tub swap sounds great if the original is that far gone...you can swap out the tags from the military to the new one so it looks as original as it can.

Winkelkl

I think I'd start with getting it running...replacing the ignition interlock switch is cheap and easy...I did mine yesterday for 18$ and about 20 minutes.. plus it'll have new keys too...if it has batteries check them for the acid and charge them up...see if it turns over ok and the engine isn't locked up with a socket on the crank...can try to start it if it does...it may be ok...I'd pull the air cleaner and have a block to cover the intake if it takes off though...as far as the body goes a tub swap sounds great if the original is that far gone...you can swap out the tags from the military to the new one so it looks as original as it can.
Thanks, I’m going to probably just go that route anyway because there’s no telling if they’ll ever find the keys!
While I’m here asking questions, can any of you guys tell me where the PS reservoir is supposed to be mounted? All of the ones I’ve seen photos of don’t have one on top of the engine like my brother has his…..

I already know I will have to put the alternator back on and get new belts. I’m afraid it may not have enough juice to start or turn over since the original battery tray is missing and there are only the two in front there.
Like I said, I have no clue what was done to the truck since I had never seen it until this past Monday, so I’m sure there will be more questions from me!

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Thanks, I’m going to probably just go that route anyway because there’s no telling if they’ll ever find the keys!
While I’m here asking questions, can any of you guys tell me where the PS reservoir is supposed to be mounted? All of the ones I’ve seen photos of don’t have one on top of the engine like my brother has his…..

I already know I will have to put the alternator back on and get new belts. I’m afraid it may not have enough juice to start or turn over since the original battery tray is missing and there are only the two in front there.
Like I said, I have no clue what was done to the truck since I had never seen it until this past Monday, so I’m sure there will be more questions from me!
Pretty sure that we have the TM's (Technical Manuals) for these vehicles and that will help you a lot. Link is below:

Also take and post pictures of what you have.
If anything looks out of place - the guys will speak up pretty quickly. :)

Winkelkl

Pretty sure that we have the TM's (Technical Manuals) for these vehicles and that will help you a lot. Link is below:

Also take and post pictures of what you have.
If anything looks out of place - the guys will speak up pretty quickly. :)
Thanks, I'm sure there's quite a few things out of place..... Like the red push button under the driver's seat (I didn't know the CUCV had an ejector seat!)

You can see the power steering reservoir on top, and the missing rear battery tray. There are two in the front box but that's it.

Attachments

chevymike

The PS reservoir is not part of this era truck, which means the PS pump is not the correct one. I circled in red the factory setup (best pic I have) and the pump/reservoir is all one unit. I believe there are 3 brackets that hold this on as well. Whatever was rigged up in your truck, is definitely NOT the correct setup.

0112201622a_LI.jpg

Winkelkl

The PS reservoir is not part of this era truck, which means the PS pump is not the correct one. I circled in red the factory setup (best pic I have) and the pump/reservoir is all one unit. I believe there are 3 brackets that hold this on as well. Whatever was rigged up in your truck, is definitely NOT the correct setup.

View attachment 844068
Thanks! That's exactly what I was talking about, I don't know what all has been done or needs to be un-done.....yet.

german m1008

Steel Soldiers Supporter

... there is no extra reservoir

MarcusOReallyus

Do yourself a favor and get a matched set so you don't have to mess with a door key that is different from the ignition.

The "Helpful Threads" sticky at the top of the forum has a TON of good info for you. Might be a good place to start reading. Lots of summarized info to give you a good overview of things.

Thanks, I'm sure there's quite a few things out of place..... Like the red push button under the driver's seat (I didn't know the CUCV had an ejector seat!)

Probably a manual bypass for the glow plug controller. I wouldn't worry about it for now. You have other fish to fry. We can get back to it later when you think everything is back together but it won't start. ;)

nyoffroad

Some GM civvie trucks had a remote steering reservoir like that but not that bracket, I would leave that for one of the last things to do.
Before trying to start it determine if it's still 24volts or been converted to 12 and make sure the batteries are FULLY charged.
You can easily hot wire the truck with out the keys, you will need a jumper wire to go from the 12v pos battery post over to the pink wire one the injector pump and (easy way) a hand held push button remote starter switch from an auto parts store. If no directions on the package attach one clamp to the positive post and the other to the starter solenoid. Good luck

Winkelkl

Just an update, we did finally get it to the house. But like I surmised the body is way to far gone for help. Since the other K5 we have belongs to my wife, we may end up swapping the lift, wheels and a few other pieces that I want to hang on to. I know absolutely nothing about what was done under the hood, and the executor of my sister in laws estate has gone back to not returning messages again.... so I am at a loss to do anything without any keys.

My wife & I were talking it over last night because our nephew originally wanted to buy my wife's blazer, but now we are thinking about kind of a Frankentruck.

cucvrus

That power steering pump will work. If you look at the picture with the red circle that engine lifting bracket has 2 holes that is where the remote reservoir bolts fast. I like that set up . Beats the stock set up now that you have it. Save the coin and get other things in order before you spend the money on that. Good Luck.

Michael

the executor of my sister in laws estate has gone back to not returning messages again.... so I am at a loss to do anything without any keys.
All CUCVs have the same key unless it has been changed with one of the many other "upgrades". Ignition & Door Keys are a "B" blank and the code is 73Y2. Do you have a title for this "project"?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks