• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to this M101A1 Trailer

RjSteed

Errr, about 3-4 months ago. I picked up a M101A1 Trailer from a yard sale for $450... It came with fiberglass racks and all steel bows. Heck of a deal I think...

Quite rusty but still fair condition, with civy tires to boot. I also found a guy in Alabama where I purchased the tarp for 150 with spare wood bows. (Never hurts to have spares)

I still need to register, and would like to change out the axle to a civy axle asap for two reasons.
1.) Well cause I have to
2.) Hoping to use trailer on camp trip Nov 1

Since I have finally gotten my truck operating again. 99 Chevy Tahoe 4DR 2WD its on to working on the trailer. Suspension was pretty much gone.

I have learned a lot since purchasing this trailer, like the fact that I can in fact change out the axle. I intend to change the axle out to a 3500lbs axle for the time being. Possibly from ABC Trailer Parts in Al, need to get an idea on how long it might take to receive it and shipping cost. (I know I can always call to find that out)

I also need to figure out the measurement on my Tahoe lugs. So I can order the correct hubs on the trailer, to match the trailer...

Once I figure this stuff out I can get busy.

Question if I may, and I did do a search for this as best I could...

Is there a set measurement on Hub to Hub face? and Spring centers?

Should I worry about the tire rubbing the wheel well? I'm hoping to get wheels with at worst a 4.25" back space...

Still looking for steel wheels 15" X 8"

Thinking about these tires for an aggressive look than what I already have on the truck.
http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/tire-selector/category/off-road-tires/all-terrain-t-a-ko/tire-details

Right now I need to go to Tractor Supply to find wrench or socket to remove stock wheels from axle... Suppose I need to look at jack stands to go that high as well...

Has anyone put civy leaf springs on these? I am kind of lost in reading as to whether or not people have gotten the springs from ABC and installed them as well...

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Please consider uploading your images directly to the site as remote linking is disabled.

RjSteed

I went from this on the angle:

IMG_1267.jpg

To this on the angle:

003.jpg

The only thing/ change I have made to the trailer is flipping the Lunette.. Other than that, I corrected my suspension (rear shocks and leaf springs)

RjSteed

Well, I still have work to do to it...

I am looking at getting a new axle, which I am thinking I have to get from ABC Trailer Parts in Alabama... (Need to call him soon) What I would like to find out is, is there a set measurement on the hub to hub face? and spring centers?

Should I push the hub to hub measurement out more in concern with the back spacing of the wheels? The back spacing is going to be 4.25" Tires will be 31X10.5XR15 to match the vehicle.

I attempted the other day to remove the lugs from the original wheels to no avail on the left side.... They are "stuck"...

If there are magic numbers in reference to the axle, than I can just order the new axle and roll out the old and in with the new axles. As soon as I figure out how to lift the trailer up...

Last edited:

svanhorn

All Budd wheel lugnuts are left hand thread on the left side, to prevent them from loosening while going down the road.

RjSteed

Every fiber of my being told me that you were messing with me. I thought it was some sort of "Private" joke. Like get the brake light fluid before the lights go bad.
Luckily for me, I have older friends who have heard of older vehicles having reverse threads. Sure enough, thanks to the two of you. I learned something new today....
what is BUDD?
i noticed it on the outside of the nut. **** tired now after cranking on the nuts the right direction for two hours. I also broke my half inch breaker bar in the process.

Last edited:

RjSteed

Hub to Hub measurement and Spring Centers

I found measurements for the Hub to Hub and springs...
63" for Hub to Hub
43 1/8" for the springs

I was getting what I believed to be 43 1/3" for the springs... Whats the general consensus?

RjSteed

I keep forgetting to re add this... I guess my initial post was removed because of the links to the pics. Anywho...

I purchased this trailer (M101A1) for $450 from a yard sale... Its a but rusty, but intend to blast it and repaint it. Ill keep the color to myself for now. I have never done much work on vehicles and have been learning a lot in having to do the work on my Tahoes' shocks and leaf springs. This is all new to me...

When I got the trailer, it had fiberglass racks and all steel bows. I hadn't thought about the fact that they were not original to the trailer, until I was talking to a friend who has a A2 with out racks, bows or tarp. I was more pleased then realizing the fact that I could have gotten wooden racks and bows.
None the less, I located a tarp in Alabama for $150 which came with wooden bows. Spares are nice to have.

But I feel I got the whole deal for a steal.. Currently I am working on an axle swap, and later a change to a coupler and telescoping foot. I'll have to find a trailer repair place for that one, since I can't weld.

I am learning new things about the trailer everyday and am enjoying it very much.

RjSteed

Wheel Bearings Etc

Oh Boy, I am going to attempt tomorrow to open up the hub etc... I am wanting to have an axle swap done by Nov, but just in case I should make sure the current axle is usable in the event I cannot complete the swap...

Should I need to replace any Bearings or seals (Not sure what else) Can I get them at Auto zone? What am I looking for?

Would appreciate any help with this. I found an older post which has a link to the TM and that will help me take it apart and put it back together. But having to actually replace something, I am at a loss.

truck1

The TM should provide all the info with regards to bearing evaluation. Discoloration or signs of excessive heat or rust are a red flag and usually means replace the bearing and the race. Part numbers are etched in the bearing face and can be cross referenced with regards to different manufacturers. Always pack them well with grease and clean all traces of old grease from the old bearings and the hub completely before re-installation. Also take care when installing new races and seal as to avoid damage. Might be easy as remove , clean ,and repack with grease. I always check my hubs by touch on a road trip. Warm is ok - hot is usually a dry or defective bearing. Hope this helps. Welcome to SS.

RjSteed

I'll run with that for now... One thing I am thinking about, is the guy I purchased the trailer from was unaware that the levers on the front of the trailer were parking brakes... Makes me wonder how much he used it with them on. Which is where they were when I purchased it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks