• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to this M101A1 Trailer

197thhhc

I wouldn't want to lower the trailer with shorter tires/wheels. The beauty of the 101 is its ability to dump. If you get it too low it wont tilt as far.

KaiserM109

All Budd wheel lugnuts are left hand thread on the left side, to prevent them from loosening while going down the road.
In the Army I had an M37 where someone had interchanged the RF brake drum with the LR brake drum. I had left handed lugs on the front and right handed ones on the rear!!

svanhorn

I have read several things on here about the dumping, and I have decided that it is not worth the damage that will be caused.

tbone1004

Why are you not getting 6 luck hubs? The axle companies are able to put whatever hub you want on there and by going with the same bolt pattern as the tahoe you avoid having to carry an extra spare. To each his own. I would also keep the existing lunette on there and just get a pintle hook for your tahoe. Much cheaper/easier than swapping out to a ball hitch and more secure as well. There is a reason heavy duty trailers have them instead of balls for towing excavators and what not.
The M101a3/M116a3 had a crank landing leg on the front and that swaps out for the existing landing leg with 1 bolt. Very worthwhile swap. Otherwise and crank landing leg from Tractor Supply can be bolted onto the tongue and you can just leave the existing leg there for added security.

RjSteed

Why are you not getting 6 luck hubs? The axle companies are able to put whatever hub you want on there and by going with the same bolt pattern as the tahoe you avoid having to carry an extra spare. To each his own. I would also keep the existing lunette on there and just get a pintle hook for your tahoe. Much cheaper/easier than swapping out to a ball hitch and more secure as well. There is a reason heavy duty trailers have them instead of balls for towing excavators and what not.
The M101a3/M116a3 had a crank landing leg on the front and that swaps out for the existing landing leg with 1 bolt. Very worthwhile swap. Otherwise and crank landing leg from Tractor Supply can be bolted onto the tongue and you can just leave the existing leg there for added security.
My Tahoe has 5 lug wheels not 6.

As for the hitch, I had read somewhere that the coupler was safer for driving... There is another connection I have looked at though.

My Tahoe is not a 4X4, so I wont be doing a lot of off road action with the trailer... I did think about the bolt on landing leg though.

harleyhouse

Fast and easy coupler connection to convert to ball or lunette.
Adjustible hight for multiple tow vehicles. About a two hour installation
Taking the old off, prep work and then weld the new adjustible channel on.

I did this on both my trailers and they worked out well.

Attachments

tbone1004

ahh, sorry I thought that the Tahoes had 6 lug for some reason. Maybe that was the Expeditions... Not a bowtie guy, so don't keep track of them.

If you're going to bother switching, then switch to what was done above. That being said, I can't imagine a ball being safer than the pintle. Certainly quieter, but I've seen balls pop off, I can't say I've ever seen a pintle do that. Only problem I've ever seen is when people use combo pintle/ball and the ball can shear off.
http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/buyers-5-ton-receiver-mount-pintle-hook
I use one of these for my jeep, but the jeep now that is has been lifted is almost the right height, so the trailer when loaded actually sits level.

RjSteed

That's actually the pintle I have... Im not certain about switching out the pintle and lunette right now.. It was going to be a later project for sure. I have even chilled out on the axle a little till I can find someone to do the work that's a little less a dick.. One guy is telling me 275 and then this new guy telling me to start off at 300? WTF? Ill take my business elsewhere.

RjSteed

I do intend to attach it myself. Though I am still working on getting the jack stands and jack high enough to be able to lift it...

I suppose I can roll the old axle to the rear of the trailer so I can just roll the trailer away from it once installed. How heavy are the original axles?

tbone1004

they're pretty **** heavy.... With brakes, wheels and tires you are looking at probably close to 300lbs.

Jack can be solved by lifting from the front or rear landing legs, or the middle of the axle.
You can put use cinder blocks to give the jack stands some extra lift, or if you have a buddy with an engine hoist you can just use that to pick the a$$ end up

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks