• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

"New" Trailer: 220KAK, 1960 Vintage 26' Box Van

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Addtional pics....

Note the lack of tread on some of those old tires!!!

Oh! One more thing.... They verified all four wheelsets turn freely - no locked brakes - YAY !

Attachments

Last edited:

Nice trailer my 54 m269 has three light plug ins 6volt 12volt and 24 volt so maybe by the 1960s the 6 volt was gone for good . also I like about your trailer is no torque rods that will save you at least $ 1000 dollars .

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice trailer my 54 m269 has three light plug ins 6volt 12volt and 24 volt so maybe by the 1960s the 6 volt was gone for good . also I like about your trailer is no torque rods that will save you at least $ 1000 dollars .
Any thoughts on where I might obtain a replacement junction box/Connection Unit?

Do you have a pic of your trailer?

Thanks

I will get some pictures and post them when I can . I used a regular 6 pole connection for the 6 volt and a 7 pole for the 12 volt and the large military connection for the 24 volt

GHILL55

Really nice trailer, looking forward to your build pics. It would have been a lot easier for me to start with a cargo box instead of a flatbed - Oh well ----
Heck of a good price, can't wait to see the truck that goes with it!

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
BTW: the secret to a "good price" or "great deal" is the following:

1. Have CASH money in hand with which to negotiate.
2. Have your TOP OFFER in mind and DO NOT carry any more cash than that - You cannot spend what's not in your pocket!
3. Be prepared to WALK AWAY if the price is higher than you're willing to pay.... It might not have been meant to be.
4. Do your homework. Inspect your prospective purchase.
5. DO NOT show any enthusiasm about the good things you see, and say NOTHING complimentary about the vehicle/item.
6. DO show disappointment about broken or missing parts, rust, bad tires, etc.... Show that if the price ain't right, there just ain't gonna be no cash changin' hands today.
7. BE PATIENT... If the deal doesn't work out, then it just weren't s'posed to happen. God will show you what's right for you.

indy4x4fab

Banned
BTW: the secret to a "good price" or "great deal" is the following:

1. Have CASH money in hand with which to negotiate.
2. Have your TOP OFFER in mind and DO NOT carry any more cash than that - You cannot spend what's not in your pocket!
3. Be prepared to WALK AWAY if the price is higher than you're willing to pay.... It might not have been meant to be.
4. Do your homework. Inspect your prospective purchase.
5. DO NOT show any enthusiasm about the good things you see, and say NOTHING complimentary about the vehicle/item.
6. DO show disappointment about broken or missing parts, rust, bad tires, etc.... Show that if the price ain't right, there just ain't gonna be no cash changin' hands today.
7. BE PATIENT... If the deal doesn't work out, then it just weren't s'posed to happen. God will show you what's right for you.

The truest words to buy anything by, have used these same tactics many times it seems to work oh to well.[thumbzup]

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You lucky dog. I've been looking for one of those for my M52A2 for years. Could you post some close up pics of the DATA tags?

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You lucky dog. I've been looking for one of those for my M52A2 for years. Could you post some close up pics of the DATA tags?
Ken,
Yes, "lucky" I am :grin:[thumbzup]
Post #11, Pic #7 is the best shot of the Data Plate that I have.

For a short trailer, I'm suprised that it's got a 19 TON capacity.

I've got a few questions that you might have answers for.....

=What do you know about these 220KAK Trailers?
=Do that have an M-Series Designation?
=What were they used for? (The capacity would indicate Munitions, but the inside is stenciled "FIBER CONTAINER" ?!?!? What does THAT mean?)
=Were you actually looking for this particular Model Trailer, or one of this general description?

Is your M52A2 a 5-Ton Tractor? (or 2-1/2 Ton?)

I'm looking for an M275 (2-1/2 Ton) Tractor. The parts commonality with our existing Deuce could have some advantages. I also doubt that we'll be maxing out the load capacity, so the Deuce Tractor should be adequate. Although, I am not ruling out a 5-Ton Tractor if the price is right..... M818 or M931 with winch would be SWEET !

:idea: . :jumpin:

Thanks,
John

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
John,
My M52a2 is a 5ton. I sought out this type of tractor because it uses the Multifuel engine. And interchanges alot of parts with my 2 1/2 tons. It has the 10 lug rims and 1100-20 tires like your trailer. I have a Manual at home that i will look up the M series for you. I just can't rember it now. I believe they were used for genral cargo. Meaning anything that needed to stay dry and that would fit. And yes i have been hunting for that paticular model. I would love to see more pics if you have them.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
John,
My M52a2 is a 5ton. I sought out this type of tractor because it uses the Multifuel engine. And interchanges alot of parts with my 2 1/2 tons. It has the 10 lug rims and 1100-20 tires like your trailer. I have a Manual at home that i will look up the M series for you. I just can't rember it now. I believe they were used for genral cargo. Meaning anything that needed to stay dry and that would fit. And yes i have been hunting for that paticular model. I would love to see more pics if you have them.
Ken,
Thanks for the info. I have done some homework since that last post and the M52 has a combination of features, as mentioned, that will make it well suited for our needs/wants. In fact, it's more the correct vintage to be mated with this trailer anyway.

I'll post more pics soon.

John, get a trailer dolly and use your deuce to pull it if it'll just be a bug out camper. 2cents
SrJeeper:
The trailer dolly or a mutated M200 with a fifthwheel added was an initial and worthy consideration for PULLING this trailer, BUT.....

I NEED to be able to back this trailer into my backyard through a 25' wide chainlink gate (gas meter on east side, neighbor's fence on west), and this is coming 90-degrees off of a 25' wide residential alley with fences along both the north and south sides. Bear in mind that this trailer is 26' in length. With NO WIGGLE ROOM, the double-jointed dolly-trailer combo would be too much of challenge for this soldier to want to chance. Hence, I NEED a fifth-wheel'd tractor, preferably a SHORT one, but a militarily correct model is the current choice.

Thanks for the suggestion. I hope you see my constraints.

John

Mark2X2

Ken,
Thanks for the info. I have done some homework since that last post and the M52 has a combination of features, as mentioned, that will make it well suited for our needs/wants. In fact, it's more the correct vintage to be mated with this trailer anyway.

I'll post more pics soon.

SrJeeper:
The trailer dolly or a mutated M200 with a fifthwheel added was an initial and worthy consideration for PULLING this trailer, BUT.....

I NEED to be able to back this trailer into my backyard through a 25' wide chainlink gate (gas meter on east side, neighbor's fence on west), and this is coming 90-degrees off of a 25' wide residential alley with fences along both the north and south sides. Bear in mind that this trailer is 26' in length. With NO WIGGLE ROOM, the double-jointed dolly-trailer combo would be too much of challenge for this soldier to want to chance. Hence, I NEED a fifth-wheel'd tractor, preferably a SHORT one, but a militarily correct model is the current choice.

Thanks for the suggestion. I hope you see my constraints.

John

Mount a Pintle Hitch on the front of your truck. You can chase it around better if you see it.

Looking at your old trailer with little rust almost makes me want move where they don't salt & calcium chloride the roads. It looks like your driving down a gravel road with a dust plum following you. Then I remember you had almost 100 days straight above a 100 degrees and I get over it.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mount a Pintle Hitch on the front of your truck. You can chase it around better if you see it.

Looking at your old trailer with little rust almost makes me want move where they don't salt & calcium chloride the roads. It looks like your driving down a gravel road with a dust plum following you. Then I remember you had almost 100 days straight above a 100 degrees and I get over it.
I had considered front-mounting a Pintle, but that would take away my excuse to buy ANOTHER WHOLE MV rofl:grin:[thumbzup]:mrgreen::jumpin::!::driver::doh:

Yes, the climate here does preserve vehicles well. The heat is another issue though.

As for the reasonable "rust-free-ness" of this trailer.... The upper shell is almost all aluminum. The rest just has a thin surface/exposed metal rusting.