• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

"New" Trailer: 220KAK, 1960 Vintage 26' Box Van

Mark2X2

I NEED to be able to back this trailer into my backyard through a 25' wide chainlink gate (gas meter on east side, neighbor's fence on west), and this is coming 90-degrees off of a 25' wide residential alley with fences along both the north and south sides. Bear in mind that this trailer is 26' in length. With NO WIGGLE ROOM, the double-jointed dolly-trailer combo would be too much of challenge for this soldier to want to chance. Hence, I NEED a fifth-wheel'd tractor, preferably a SHORT one, but a militarily correct model is the current choice.

Thanks for the suggestion. I hope you see my constraints.

John[/QUOTE]

If your not going to tow anything heavy or use it as a camper a Bobbed 5 ton tractor would look cool.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If your not going to tow anything heavy or use it as a camper a Bobbed 5 ton tractor would look cool.

I agree!

However, there is a part of me that tilts toward the "historically correct" and, since it IS a HEAVY (19 Ton Capacity) Trailer, reducing the 5-Ton Tractor's Capacity by BUTCHERING - I mean BOBBING - it would violate the "purity" of the presentation.

Equally, if whatever tractor we get can actually tote the full load, then we should never have to worry about the overloaded tractor aspect of the combination.

Thanks for your input. ALL ideas are welcome.

John

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Made some definite progress in rearranging the backyard this weekend.

Step 1 was to remove a 5 foot section or 3' diameter concrete pipe from the "landscaping". Years ago, we had laid some brick-paved paths around the otherwise flat yard and "sculpted" a "bridge" over the concrete tube. I'm guessing the tube's weight to be about 1000 lbs, with about 300 lbs of dirt inside at the time of the extraction. The dogs loved the shade and coolness inside the "tunnel", but alas... It was all in the way of getting this trailer into the yard. We'll be keeping the Concrete Tube for the sake of a dog shelter. We just haven't yet decided where to reposition it.

So.... Saturday, The ARK was employed to attempt to yank a bush out of the ground (failed for lack of a good way to grip the shrub) and then she successfully muscled the concrete pipe from it's earthen cradle. (SEE VIDEOS BELOW) (Yes, Dianna's nickname for me is "The Bear" or "Mister Bear" - LOL)

Step 2 was the removal of the old rusty metal shed. (It makes a cameo appearance in the video as the Deuce pulls forward.) For the time being, we simply released the anchor bolts and carried it off the slab to the opposite side of the yard. Eventually the shed's contents will be stored in the 220KAK Trailer.

Attachments

Last edited:

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
John, I have not forgotten about your electrical panel. I have been working double shifts to play catch up for being gone for 2 weeks. I will get to it soon. God bless ya man and have a good day.[thumbzup]

RAYZER

This trailor is very cool!!!
I think a multi fuel 5 ton tractor would be a great match for her,wouldn't be real fast but life at 50 mph aint so bad.
I agree with the side door idea,if your going to use it as an rv,the side door comes in handy and will be used often,but something military looking please:grin:, and maybe some m109 windows!
The first thing I would do imho,is check for water intrusion expescially from the roof, its hard to tell with yours if and where it leaks because it has no plywood on the ceiling, it was a mistake that I made with mine in the beginning,I did try to seal some areas on the roof of my m146 with some silicone where it looked like it might leak,but in the end when the hard rains came and I had the wood work up I still had some small leaks and had to scramble to cover the whole thing with a big tarp to prevent water damage to my newly installed ceiling, the best remedy for this was 5 gal's of elastic roof coating from lowes (85.00) 3 coats recommended,also, rv supply stores sell a waterproofing seam tape that can go on first if the leak is bad enough,water intrusion from underneath should also be addressed if your going to install any type of floor covering ,I have noticed on some other cargo type trailors that have the metal rails that hold the floor planks down,well,I could see daylight through them,maybe a heavy under coat underneath would be a good idea, ofcourse you wouldn't want moisture traped between applied flooring and the deck ,it could lead to a health problem.

Good luck with your build! I have trailor envy![thumbzup]

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks, Don.
I wasn't worried about it since I knew you were traveling. Hope you're having fun catching up - Doubles make for a long days, but the accomplishment will be rewarding.

Thanks again for offering the box. I look forward to it's arrival (yet the trailer hasn't made it "home" either - Maybe next week/weekend).

John

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This trailor is very cool!!!
I think a multi fuel 5 ton tractor would be a great match for her,wouldn't be real fast but life at 50 mph aint so bad.
I agree with the side door idea,if your going to use it as an rv,the side door comes in handy and will be used often,but something military looking please:grin:, and maybe some m109 windows!
The first thing I would do imho,is check for water intrusion expescially from the roof, its hard to tell with yours if and where it leaks because it has no plywood on the ceiling, it was a mistake that I made with mine in the beginning,I did try to seal some areas on the roof of my m146 with some silicone where it looked like it might leak,but in the end when the hard rains came and I had the wood work up I still had some small leaks and had to scramble to cover the whole thing with a big tarp to prevent water damage to my newly installed ceiling, the best remedy for this was 5 gal's of elastic roof coating from lowes (85.00) 3 coats recommended,also, rv supply stores sell a waterproofing seam tape that can go on first if the leak is bad enough,water intrusion from underneath should also be addressed if your going to install any type of floor covering ,I have noticed on some other cargo type trailors that have the metal rails that hold the floor planks down,well,I could see daylight through them,maybe a heavy under coat underneath would be a good idea, ofcourse you wouldn't want moisture traped between applied flooring and the deck ,it could lead to a health problem.

Good luck with your build! I have trailor envy![thumbzup]
Ray:
Thanks for the tips on leakage.

Since this trailer has been sitting for YEARS in the same place - pretty close to level - the floor is showing two tell-tale spots where some hail impacts drip. We have seen some SUBSTANTIAL DOWNPOURS over those years, too. Fortunately, there are ONLY two of them - Not huge puddling, just water-stain circles/ovals. Although she has seen some substantial hail, being a 1960 vintage design, I believe that the roof skin is thicker than what we see nowadays, and therefore should be pretty sound.

I'll look into using the roof coating suggestion you offered. I'd figured that coating would be the "ease fix" rather than patching or re-skinning. I just didn't know yet what products were available.

The original floor is presently covered with a layer of thin sheeting (fiberboard maybe?) so I presume the original planking will need to be replaced. When we reach that phase of the restoration, I'm already planning to strip the deck down to the frame and replank it. I'm guessing that the original deck would have been oak, but we'll see what it really is when I expose it.

Thanks again!
Happy Monday [thumbzup]
John

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ken,
Thanks for asking!
We have not moved the trailer yet. Life has "gotten in the way".
Between my mother-in-law's back surgery, Thanksgiving and a week out of state, and now all the Christmas activities - MV related, church, work, social - time is at a premium. I'm hoping that later this week or Saturday (weather permitting) will be the "coming home" party.
John

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just remember that this trl doesn't have spring brakes, unless they have been retrofitted. Please hook up your air lines, and engauge the trl brakes before backing under the trl, or you might find yourself chasing the trl.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just remember that this trl doesn't have spring brakes, unless they have been retrofitted. Please hook up your air lines, and engauge the trl brakes before backing under the trl, or you might find yourself chasing the trl.

Thanks for the tips.

This recovery is only about THREE miles. She's got the old vintage brakes (Wheelsets spun FREELY when we changed the tires), rotten brake lines and no gladhands nor electrical connection box on the front. She'll be moved as a SALVAGE under a ONE-WAY PERMIT from the TxDOT, using only secondary and residential CITY STREETS and only CROSSING one US Highway and one State Highway.

It was stated earlier in the thread that this move will be done WITHOUT the trailer brakes connected - all low speed, and knowing it's a tow-job, not a highway rig.

We'll also have a chase vehicle for safety and will keep it 15-20 mph the whole short distance.

indy4x4fab

Banned
Thanks for the tips.

This recovery is only about THREE miles. She's got the old vintage brakes (Wheelsets spun FREELY when we changed the tires), rotten brake lines and no gladhands nor electrical connection box on the front. She'll be moved as a SALVAGE under a ONE-WAY PERMIT from the TxDOT, using only secondary and residential CITY STREETS and only CROSSING one US Highway and one State Highway.

It was stated earlier in the thread that this move will be done WITHOUT the trailer brakes connected - all low speed, and knowing it's a tow-job, not a highway rig.

We'll also have a chase vehicle for safety and will keep it 15-20 mph the whole short distance.
Sounds like you have the SALVAGE in the bag.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
John, Wish i was closer. I'd love to move it for you with my M52. Please post pics of the move. I'd love to see it on the road.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
News flash:

Breaking NEWS from the West Texas World of O.D. GREEN IRON.....

San Angelo, TX - TODAY

This just in... The 220KAK, newly named The FOLLOWER, is HOME :beer:

... Photos and narrative to be posted SOON ! ! !

Please stay tuned for news as it happens.

Over and out.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, here are the quick pics to get everybody excited....

Attachments

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The FOLLOWER Comes Home...

Well, in spite of all of my planning and attempts to structure the timing and logistics of bringing the trailer home, it SUDDENLY happened this afternoon.

I had contacted no fewer than 6 businesses and individuals with SHORT tractors that I was sure would be able to easily maneuver the 26' trailer down our narrow 25' residential alley and push it into our yard through a 25' gate. One of the businesses is a local truck dealer - he kept waiting for a lease tractor to come in for service, but that was a "never-ending-waiting-game". Another is an Auto Auction/Wholesaler - but his tractor seems to always be out of town on a run. Yet another is a Moving and Storage Company - theirs needs new tires to pass inspection, and a fresh registration. And the private owners of short tractors never could be available at an agreeable time.

Finally, there is the Reece-Albert Company. They are the leading regional highway and municipal construction company. One of their bidding agents is a friend, and through him, the owners agreed to move the trailer if I could do it on short notice when a tractor and driver became available. YAY ! ! ! You can bet that I agreed to that condition.

Well, today I was having a nice (late) lunch at a Johnny Carino's Italian Restaurant with Dianna. We were just finishing our meal, and I was literally wiping my hands on my napkin, when my phone rang. My friend (Chris) asked what I would be doing in about twenty minutes, to which I replied, "Moving a trailer??"

Now picture this.... I work at a funeral home and my "uniform" is a suit with white shirt and tie! I'm about to go recover a 1960 military trailer that has set stationary for AT LEAST 10 years, and I haven't got time to change clothes!!! My wife LAUGHS (Thank GOD she's an understanding woman). I check my phone... It's 1430 hrs.

Lickity split, I meet Chris at the recovery site and we unlock the yard gate. Within SECONDS, a short single axle tractor comes around the corner followed by a supervisor's pickup. Don and James are introduced and they are all business with GREAT personalities. We have a quick mission briefing and they declare, "No Sweat! Just stand back and watch!" :shock:

WOW, these to guys are like angels from above! :beer:

In a matter of minutes, the trailer is inspected - acknowledging NO BRAKES and NO LIGHTS - but otherwise looking good. (The Texas 15-Day One-Way Transit Permit allows the movement of a NON-Compliant Vehicle under special circumstances - We meet those criteria.) [thumbzup] So the tractor slides under the trailer and the fifth-wheel loudly CLICKS as the King Pin is captured - AWESOME ! Jack up the Landing Gear and we're ready to spin the trailer around 180 degrees, out the gate, and have a little procession to our backyard.

Once on the city street pavement, we do one more walk around inspection. All is good! I lead in my 1990 Ford Probe with flashers on, followed by the Tractor and Trailer, then there's Don in his supervisors pickup with yellow and white strobes flashing, and Chris is bringing up the rear in his company Suburban. We look like a mini-Parade. :grin:

(BTW: That BRIGHT SHINY RED & YELLOW & WHITE tractor looked almost comical pulling that faded OLIVE DRAB trailer.)

About 3-1/2 miles later, we're already at our home LZ, open the back gate and move the Probe out of the way. By the time I've walked back to the gate, Chris and Don are guiding James as he backs the trailer right into the yard! I hardly had time to snap the pictures above. (BTW: Those are the ONLY pics - that's how little time this took.) After James had her in place, he set the brake and jumped out of the tractor. After a quick conversation, we decided to re-spot the trailer about six feet further back and make her more parallel with the property-line fence, DONE! Landing Gear DOWN! Tractor de-coupled. Bid farewell to these glorious ANGELS!

Time Check: 1545 Hrs. Elapsed Recovery Time: approximately 1 Hr, 15 Min. ! ! ! Oh, and I'm still in my SUIT and it's still CLEAN ! ! ! WOW !

Now for the MIRACLE....

When I first mentioned this recovery to Chris, I offered to "hire" the tractor and driver at whatever their going rate was. He merely commented, "We'll see what it takes."

Well, after all was said and done, I asked Chris if they'd be sending me an invoice. His reply, "For what? We only did what the company owner told us to go do."

It turns out that Chris had rightfully asked permission to do this recovery. When Chris told Mr. Albert (as in Reece-Albert Co.) about our MV hobby, and our contributions to the community, the "order" came down to ":grd:" ... No Charge, Free Gratis, Public Service, Charity Donation.... Whatever Chris wanted to charge the time and equipment (truck) to was fine with Mr. Albert. Rest assured, that man is getting Christmas Cards from Dianna and I for as long as he lives!

So, when all is said and done, in as much as I tried to engineer this project it wasn't for me to design. The Good Lord had a plan, and that plan required my patience.

We have named the 220KAK Trailer "The FOLLOWER" - kind of a play on words. It DOES need a tractor for motive power and will be following that tractor around. But, as with our Deuce, "The ARK", The FOLLOWER will be joining the motorpool in performing Acts of Random Kindness.... Like a FOLLOWER of our faith, she will be a tool of HIS. We just happen to "work in HIS motorpool."

We are presently "shopping" for a 5-Ton Tractor that will be used with The FOLLOWER. We have pre-determined that Tractor's name: "The SHEPHERD" - you figure out how we came up with that for a name. :lol:

We are praying that the right 5-Ton will come to us..... watching GL, GSA, Gov Deals, and other sources. With the miraculous way that this recovery happened FOR FREE, wouldn't it be absolutely cool if a 5-Ton just "fell from the sky" as a "gift from heaven." Don't laugh - HE has done stranger things.

Thanks for reading this little story.

I'll post more as we restore, rebuild, and convert this trailer to her new life.

Vaya con Dios!

Last edited:

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats Chappy, Looks good. The Follower is fitting. The picture of the 3 men at the gate which one was you. I am betting the one wearing a black suit.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats Chappy, Looks good. The Follower is fitting. The picture of the 3 men at the gate which one was you. I am betting the one wearing a black suit.
Don,
Dang, you're good! (that was a tough one, wasn't it?) LOL

The three guys Left to Right are: Chris, Don, and myself (locking the gate). Dianna was behind the camera for that (she stopped by for just a moment after our lunch together). There's also a shot of James the Truck Driver in the pic taken in my mirror - but you've got to squint to see his face.

The last shots also show 4 of our 5 Canine MV Inspectors checking out the new motorpool arrival.

HAPPY SATURDAY !