• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New V-100

EZFEED

Thats slick there Rory! I'm sure it seals like its supposed to, probably does dribble a bit but I'm sure not enough to where the bilge pump cant handle it. Have you thought about putting in a couple (or more) of those electric bilge pumps for boats???? I'm suire at some point you'll ewant to take it for a swim...that way you can have an electric backup. Maybe put a float switch on them?

Heck if it were me I'd put a pedestal seat on it and a trolling motor and take it fishing!!!! :-D

Sadly this is about as close as I can get to being amphibious...:cry::cry::cry:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/EZFEED/PLDvK/4674107713f003f9ad7679892571769.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/EZFEED/PLDvK/m53-59_na_pts.jpg

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I gather the Vs leak around the doors too. The two bilge pumps, one under the engine and one under the transmission, pump at 50 gpm each. Makes sense to just have a good water offloading system rather than trying to seal everything up.

While I have working bilge pumps, I think I am too chicken to ever swim it. I would love to, but if I managed to sink it (perish the thought), I couldn't afford to refit it again. Maybe I'll just stick to driving through the occasional puddle! (Bawk, b-a-awk, and other associated chicken noises...).

On the earlier discussed topic of good design for maintenance, I can attest that the bilge pump under the V transmission can be removed and reinstalled without moving any other components. I didn't think it could be done, but happily proved myself wrong. The one under the engine is easy, if not comfortable, to reach. So, once again, a respectful bow in the general direction of those who designed this thing.

Cheers

Pic 1- Pump mounts under this lot, has to go in and out through area indicated by arrow (!)
Pic 2- Where the under-engine pump goes, taken from right side of engine in tunnel
Pic 3- Pump in place in a V
Pic 4- Shows outlet hoses
Pic 5- Through the firewall and hull
Pic 6- Water dumps overboard here

Attachments

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sweet! Thanks for posting that.

Photos of US V100s swimming seem to be few and far between (as in- that is the only one I have seen!). There are some nice pictures of Guatemalan Vs swimming in the Osprey book, but I haven't seen them in electronic format to add to my collection.

EZFEED

Dude thats so cool!!!! So you have 3 pumps? One fore, one aft, and the engine pump?

I think you are safe for swimming Rory, hell proibably still safe with a basketball sized hole in the hull HAHAHA!:-D

B3.3T

Note the pumps in that photo are not even running or you'd see the water pouring out. Properly prepared, I think they are a lot more water tight than one would think.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So you have 3 pumps?
No, just the two pumps.

I guess they expect most of the leakage to be from the doors, and anything that leaked in from the winch can only get so high before it goes over the axle hump and starts flowing toward the back. Just enough to get your feet wet but not cause flotation problems. Maybe that is what the passenger side footrest thing is for, so his feet stay dry! :p

Swimming it sounds almost irresistable, but.. (Here comes that chicken again)

They must be reasonably hard to sink (if everything is working) since I saw a video of a V150 driving into the water at something like 40mph. It settled tail low for a moment and judging by the amount of steam, shipped a lot of water in through the exhaust scoop. Kept going though, and that was one with a big turret on top, not the small MG turret on most V100s.

But, as mentioned earlier in the thread, it can be done if the bilge pumps don't work, you have leaky door seals and you leave the five drain plugs out...:shock:

Cheers

Edit- looks like B3.3T and I were posting at the same time

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here are a couple of pictures that show the flexible rubber seal on the winch motor in another V, and the passenger side footrest in mine (old pic from early in the restoration).

Pic 3 is probably sacrilege, poorly done, and I render my apologies now to all involved, particularly B3.3T but I just couldn't resist.

Cheers

Edit, added the trolling motor

Attachments

Last edited:

EZFEED

I think that looks great Rory, you know...the winch is near surface and really wouldn't see much water pressure anyway so I have no doubt that the seal you have there is quite sufficient. I'd probably run a little adhesive caulking under the gasket wherever the clamps or screws would compress it just for good measure. A safe way to do it would be to ease down a good paved boat launch, maybe backwards too with your winch line spooled out and secured to another vehicle (big) on shore and just ease back down the pavement enough to submerge your rear and side doors to test their water tightness. The way I see it, the doors overlap the hull on the outside and compress the gasket to the hull and any exterior water pressure should act against the doors and assist in sealing the hull tight. How good are your door gaskets? Did you run a bead of adhesive caulking inside of them before you affixed them to the hull?

HAHAHA! I'm proud to say I'm a coonass and I'd have no shame doing just that with a V if I had one!!!! In fact I'd even go as far as mounting a trolling motor and seats in some way that would not damage the vehicle. I'd take the sucker to one of the fishing tournaments up at my camp on Toledo Bend lake! If I ever get my BMP I will be doing just that, they button up fairly watertight and shouldn't have too much a problem with leaks.:-D

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
EZ, I added a trolling motor to the pic for you.

For those who don't know EZ, here is a picture of him on a recent trip to Toledo Bend. The M79 is for gator gar fishing.

Cheers

(Once again, my apologies all around, I don't know what's come over me! No animals were harmed in the creation of this picture)

Attachments

Last edited:

Malyutkaman

Just thought I'd throw in my 2cents worth, but it always seems more fun when someone else takes their amphib MV swimming. Everyone tells me that when I get the BRDM finished I have to take it to the lake (Washington) and go grinding around. All I can think of however is 1 lake + 1 BRDM = 1 recovery barge and alot of work. :roll:
The freeboard on the V looks pretty good (unlike the BRDM) and would probably not have much trouble in calm shallow waters. One thing for sure, if you do it bring a video camera!

Attachments

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My biggest problem with swimming the V is just plain chickeness. It took me so long to find one, and then to restore it, that the prospect of inflicting serious harm on it, no matter how low the risk, just plain gets my feathers all fluffed. :oops:

That and the axle maintenance that goes along with swimming (or deep fording the other vehicles) can be time consuming and expensive.

But, who knows... Maybe once... It would be a ball to cross Lake Travis in a V.

Cheers

Malyutkaman

srodocker,
I actually keep the BRDM in my hangar in Olympia. Ran out of room in Tacoma. Now I've run out of room in the hangar. Vehicle rich:-D.......Storage poor:cry:

EZFEED

HAHAHAHA! That just plain rawks Rory!!! :-D:-D:-D Indeed...this would be me!:-D

I hadn't thought of axle maintenence and your right, those suckers might cost a pretty good bit to fill again. Aren't they 2.5 ton axles????

Malyutkaman you are right, I'd be nervous too and the BRDM does indeed have little freeboard. Might be safe to take some scuba gear with you "just in case" kinda like a parachute! :shock:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
HAHAHAHA! :-D:-D:-D
Okay, glad you thought that was funny. You sometimes have to be careful pulling the leg of someone you haven't actually met!

The axles are indeed basically the same as those on the deuce, they just added a couple of extra splines to make them a bit stronger since there was an issue with twisting the shafts off early on.
The V could still do it with the new shafts in 2-wheel drive, so there is a plate that blocks out 1st gear until you engage 4x4.
To minimize water intrusion, the axles are also pressurized from a small pump on the motor (looks like a mechanical fuel pump), but the manual still recommends changing the fluids and doing a lubing soon after swimming.

The problems with the axle strength were eventually solved by using the same axles as the 800 series 5-tons. Fitting those required modification to the lower hull and resulted in the V150.

Cheers

Last edited:

Malyutkaman

Rory,
Was looking for more pix last night and came across a VHS tape from Cadillac Gage (promo video for the V-100). Good film of it swimming, driving, shooting, etc. Do you already have it? If not I could have it converted to dvd and post it on Youtube.
Rich

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is that the one where they drive the V off the boat ramp at 40+mph? If so, yes I have seen it, some really super footage. If not, I want to!
Bet others would too. :-D

Cheers

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks