• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New V-100

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hmmm, There's one of these on the local base. Been wondering what it was for litterally years. Sorry, pics are NOT allowed. Vehicle does not run and is used for what appears to be static display.

Great job getting yours running!:beer:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks!

Getting it running, and running well are proving to be two different things... :-?

The temperature issue proved to be the gauge (doh!), replaced it and the sending unit. Temp at idle is good, goes down some while driving, so all is as it should be there.

Shifting is almost tweaked now, a couple more runs and it should be good.

There is a vibration in the driveline. It sounded like perhaps the front drive shaft, but after taking that out and driving the V, it proved to not be the problem. Next is to pull the interior drive shaft and see if it is the carrier bearing.

The proper air cleaner is in now. Had trouble finding the right hose for it, but that is now on the way.

The turret basket and other big interior parts are ready to go in, waiting for all the mechanical issues to be resolved before installation. You can't do anything major in there with all that stuff inside.

Lots of little fiddly bits left to go. I have boxes of 'details' awaiting their turn.

Cheers

PS. I keep thinking of this show in Kansas in July... Hmmm.... Maybe...

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I picked up a metal operators manual cover at the Little Rock MVPA convention a couple of years ago. I had originally planned to put it in the XM704 one day, but when I found it recently I decided it would look pretty good in the V.

Since my original manual looks a bit grotty now after some years of use, I picked up a NOS one from Milman 61 on Ebay (he has all kinds of usual and unusual manuals). Tom is a really nice guy, and went through all his manuals to find the best one for me, looks great in the folder.
Thanks Tom!

Cheers

Attachments

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It was a major pain, but the shifting now seems to be all tuned up and pretty smooth.

While that was going on, all the turret basket parts were test fitted to make sure everything will fit okay. They couldn't be installed yet because that would make it pretty much impossible to work inside.

Now that all the rain has stopped and the humidity is decreasing to something akin to light bathwater, painting can recommence. All the turret parts are ready for final painting, once dry they will go in.

Many of the turret traverse gearbox bits turned out to be slightly bent, so that whole thing had to be rebuilt.

Meanwhile, a myriad of small parts, bolts, etc have been sorted out. I am cleaning up and reusing as many original interior bolts and fittings as possible. Probably goofy to do that when it would be so much easier to use new hardware, but I want to preserve as much of the original as possible.

Getting ready for the MVPA Nationals turned out to be a pipe dream, but I'm going without the V anyway.
Being just under two years into this 3-month project is a bit frustrating at times, but oh well....

Cheers

Last edited:

Barrman

Progress is a good thing Rory. No matter how much of a difference it makes to others looking in at your work. Let me know if I can help. I might have a free weekend near the end of Juvember.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Tim.

As many times as I thought I was seeing light at the end of the tunnel, I think the light is real this time, and getting a bit closer.
I really didn't understand what I was looking at when I took on this project, it looked like a big jigsaw puzzle I just needed to bolt together. Wrong! It has been a heck of a learning experience, and gave me even more respect for the work I see on SS by other members.
And a huge amount of respect for the decency of the folks on this board, many of whom have helped me out either materially or with encouragement, or many times both.
I will name names when this is all done.

Cheers

B3.3T

Always remember Rory, 90% of a project's effort is the last 10% of the built. Always been true, always will be. After owning 18 british armored vehicles, I have always appreciated the amazing simplicity of the V-100. Its what Americans do best: Tough simple vehicles. The Russians learned it, why the Brits, French, and Germans never caught on, I'll never know....

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks. And after seeing your work, I believe you know what you are talking about!

And the V is just what you said, tough and simple.

I continue to be amazed at just how well the V is thought out. I think I mentioned earlier in the thread about the front bilge pump- looking at it in place in the intact V I had to remove it from, I questioned whether there was any way it was coming out. But the bolts were reasonably easy to reach, and when turned just right the loose pump slid right out past the transfer case. That design team was good.

Cheers

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, the glacier moved ever so slightly, but it moved.

The V is running smoothly now, all the mechanicals are done, redone, tested, retested, nothing more to do there.
We took her out for a run of about 10 miles a couple of weeks ago, the day before my son shipped out to San Diego for Marine boot camp. I wanted him to drive it before he left. It runs like a champ and did 60mph with no effort.

This past week all the interior bits got painted. Some bits got repainted, it having been so long since the first time around we were afraid they wouldn't match the latest stuff and I want to avoid the patchwork effect. Also got some of the vision blocks mounted into the hull.

Cheers

1-4 Son driving and pulling back in;
5-6 All the hatches stripped off for painting;
7-10 A myriad of sea foam green parts!

Attachments

Looks great, Rory!! I hope to have the engine in mine soon. From your posts it looks like that will be only the start of new things to figure out and troubleshoot.
Tell your son I wish him the best at boot camp. I am sure he is excited.

See you again next time I get back to TX!

Dave

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks guys.

And Dave, if you look at the pictures you will see that I do have all the grenade boxes after all. After searching around trying to find some new ones, turns out they were in a box in the shop the whole time, just hadn't looked in that one for a while. Doh!! :roll:
You are welcome here always. Too bad you and Jim couldn't be here at the same time, I am expecting him today or tomorrow.

Just got a letter from my boy. I am amused that he ended up in the same training company and battalion I was in at this time 32 years ago (Fox Co, 2nd Batt). Different platoon # though. He says it is tough going but he is doing okay, and he has maintained his sense of humour, refers to his bunkie as BoR, ie Box of Rocks. I'll pass on your regards.

Cheers

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And the glacier grinds just a little further forward...

All the vision blocks (and there are a lot of them!) are in and sealed. I was amazed at how much more 'finished' it looks with glass instead of empty holes.

All the wheels came off so the backs of the rims, the hubs, and the wheel wells could be painted. Then they all went back on.

Next all the interior bits go in. Since this entails a LOT of climbing in and out, that task will be done before final exterior paint goes on to keep from scraping it up.

JimK is down for a visit and to pick up some V parts for his vehicle. He lent an able hand mounting the tires on the V, those are HEAVY.

Cheers

1-3 Front wheels off for paint (backs are already remounted)
4- Lots of lovely vision blocks to mask off later
5-6 Eric at work
7- All back together

Attachments

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most of the interior bits are now in. All the openings in the hull are being masked off today, to be followed by the final exterior hull work before painting.
Planning to roll her into the paint booth tomorrow or Saturday.

I may actually get this finished before 2099, which was the new date I had set for myself......:roll:

Cheers

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks great, Rory!! I hope to have the engine in mine soon. From your posts it looks like that will be only the start of new things to figure out and troubleshoot.
Tell your son I wish him the best at boot camp. I am sure he is excited. Dave
Yes Dave, you are in for some fun!

The toughest troubleshoot was the shifting. With those long, spindly rods and levers, getting them all set right is a trick. You get second gear set where it snicks in smoothly and find that you can't get it into third. You get third tweaked in, move on to fourth, then find you have buggered the setting for second, so you must tweak that one again... aua
I kept thinking of Gerald's auto tranny and that he may just have something there! ;)

But eventually, the gears will all engage smoothly and you can actually drive it and shift all the gears in one trip! I've seen the shift pattern described in writings as 'difficult', and that is true. The shift diagram looks all nice and straight, while in practice it should look more like the ramblings of a drunken spider. But once you get the feel for it, all is good and driving becomes fun.

Steering is light and responsive, but like the M813, there is zero feel to it, no natural center. It also pulls a bit when you let off the gas and get that slight drop in hydraulic pressure, but that is momentary. Its not as noticeable on acceleration. The 5-ton doesn't do that.
The short wheelbase (105") and large tires make it a tad twitchy, but also make the turn radius amazing.

The lad is doing well in bootcamp. The toughest hurdle is First Phase, and that ended today. They are headed up to Edson Range for a couple of weeks of marksmanship training, followed by field work. By the time he gets back to MCRD they will enter Third Phase and feel 'salty'. I have passed on all the good wishes and he has been amazed and pleased with the support while, as he put it, they were re-enacting Full Metal Jacket.

Cheers

Last edited:

B3.3T

Heim joints make a huge difference in the shift linkage. Really tightens it up and you can run through the gears pretty well. No more fishing around. Steering feel depends greatly on the tires. Original tires aren't too bad, they like to wander a bit. NDs are terrible; wouldn't wish them on anyone. They are all over the road. Michelin XL and Goodyears are awesome. The pull to one side or the other, I'm told, is caused by the posi-track rear.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cool, thanks for the info. The picture shows how I have mine set up, I am more than happy to take suggestions on improvements! If it is much different than yours, can you show me your setup?

I'm running on the original run-flat tires currently, but once I get the second set of wheels worked out I plan on running Goodyears on it for general driving about and save the run-flats for shows.
I really don't want to put the miles on the originals since they are pretty hard to come by now (yes, that is an understatement), and are old. They are in excellent shape, no cracking or anything visible, and seem pliable, but why take a chance!
The Michelins look a lot like the originals, and I like that tire, but after a lot of thought I decided to go with the Goodyears. That is mostly based on availability of newer tires in that style.

Cheers

Attachments

Last edited:

B3.3T

I've driven all 4 mentioned types and the Goodyears are a good choice. I'm not sure of the safety aspects of the originals. Old rubber, no matter how thick, can deteriorate really fast. Ask any old timers who drove dump trucks and other off road equipment. The last Goodyear 14x20s I bought were brand new, for $200.00 each.