• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Wisconsin HMV law in effect Oct 1st.

stumps

And you have proof of this? A specific case perhaps.
Search the boards. I heard about it here on SS. The guy was saying that he got a ticket for driving while doing a "maintenance run" . He said that the local chief of police had even seen him working on the truck earlier that day.

There have been plenty of stories from members here about doing non historic things on their historic tags to bad legal outcome.

-Chuck

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Give an inch...and

Search the boards. I heard about it here on SS. The guy was saying that he got a ticket for driving while doing a "maintenance run" . He said that the local chief of police had even seen him working on the truck earlier that day.
There have been plenty of stories from members here about doing non historic things on their historic tags to bad legal outcome.-Chuck

I remember reading that post...last year maybe?? Anyway...

Being the worry wart I am, I think I smell the old saying "Give em an inch and they'll try to take a mile"rearing it's ugly head here.

Sounds like a few good troops fought a hard battle and won some ground for everyone else in the state. It would be a travesty to see that screwed up by someone taking liberties with the word and or intent of the law.

What happens if a "4 wheeler", (POV) smashes into your MV while you are on that 150 mile "maintenence run" with those plates? Does that cause legal/insurance issues?
I bet it will.

Will one or two instances cause the issue to be revisited by lawmakers?
I bet it will.

I can only give my opinion for what it's worth...stay within restrictions etc., or be willing to accept the fallout...without blaming LEOs or anyone else.:deadhorse:

stumps

The problem as I see it is this:

If Wisconsin is anything like Maryland, there aren't all that many HMV's licensed and on the road in Wisconsin... Maybe 100, maybe 1000? I don't know for sure, but surely it is in that range.... If all the WI MV'rs are putting their hopes for a more liberalized registration, on the safety record of this small sample set, what do you suppose will happen if there are, let's say 10 accidents over the course of the next year? That would put the HMV accident rate at somewhere between 10% and 1% per year. Not good. not good at all!

With such a small sample set, you guys need to be practically perfect in every way if you want to beat the accident rate for the general population of vehicles on the roads in Wisconsin.

Food for thought...

-Chuck

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Maybe I need to rethink a recent job offer in WI. Not sure if I want to be associated with such a military unfriendly legislature. So, did these bozo's get voted out? When will this hit FOX news for the stupidity that it is.

englishmauser

Maybe I need to rethink a recent job offer in WI. Not sure if I want to be associated with such a military unfriendly legislature. So, did these bozo's get voted out? When will this hit FOX news for the stupidity that it is.
The people who work at the Wisconsin Department of Motor Vehicles are not elected. Our legislature passed two different laws to make the DMV license our military vehicles. I was denied a title and registration for my M35A2 until they were passed. I'm tired of all the negative vibes from all guys outside of Wisconsin that have a chip on your shoulder. You have beat it to death. There are other issues we need to be concerned about, like getting a concealed carry law passed, balancing our budget, unemployment, ect. If you come to Wisconsin, what are you going to do for our state? We have enough people sitting on the sidelines.

poof

Dirty Hippie
:driver::driver::driver: People , nothing in the law says you cant drive your HMV.. all day long.
Nothing Keeps an Officer of the Law from stopping any Military Vehicle on any public road way or highway
in any State. in the United states. if thats what he wants to do..
Wrong or right there is only one opinion that counts...and it isnt any one on that posts on this Message board.It will be the Opinion of the Court. If you register in Wisconsin a HMV then drive it like you see fit.. do it safely and
be a nice Guy to other drivers. If your Military Vehicle isnt registered here & your not a resident... Wisconsin Law has zero bearing on your ability to opperate here in this state today..

Any person that presumes to Know what will happen to me or any other operator of a Wisconsin registered HMV, while its being operated. Is just plain NUTS in the Head.

J.P.

This message is hidden because stumps is on your ignore list.

saddamsnightmare

November 17th, 2010.

I wish you fellows in Wisconsin luck with the new HMV law, but now that I am just over the border in the People's Republic of Illinois, I rather hope the law doesn't catch on here. My deuce is currently under repair in Texas, but I have already found out that IL law isd rather unfriendly to 2-1/2 ton trucks as regarding their registration as a non commercial daily runner (equivalent to a farm use truck), whereas Texas treated both of my FMV's very good when registered as pickup trucks (MB=3000LB payload pickup, the deuce as a 10,000
LB payload PU), and the insurance requirements there were reasonable. The deuce may have to get sold after repairs and I would much rather it stays in a good Texas home......
:)

ANY plate on a military truck can be a visual travesty, but at least yours look fairly good.

Good Luck,

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I admire all the strength and tenacity possessed by WI MV owner/operators. Keep up with the good fight.

The plates are are very cool. Wish we had MV plates like that here in CA. I can't put Veteran plates on or I'll get stuck paying all the commercial fees. So I stick with the Historic plates.

What I worry about more out here is all the environmentalism. I have this fear that one day down the road CA DMV is going to send me a notice saying, "Sorry. Your vehicle has been determined to be a gross polluter and can no longer be registered in the State of CA." Hopefully it will never come to that.

Last edited:

englishmauser

There is an easy way to avoid it: Stop writing publicly about issues you don't want to talk about!

There are more than a few of us guys outside of Wisconsin that have a stake in Wisconsin politics. We pay taxes to fund your schools, libraries, highways, and public services. We donate to your churches, volunteer fire departments, and other charities. We support your businesses by buying your goods and services. In short, we enjoy Wisconsin... But we can't vote, and your legislature doesn't care how we feel about anything. That's fine, they know who the voters are.

[Oh by the way, non-residents get to pay that extra special non-resident rate for property taxes, DNR licenses, etc.. It is about twice what you pay as a resident... You're welcome!]

The cornerstones of this great democratic republic are the soap box, the ballet box, and the cartridge box. Everyone is entitled to hop up on the soap box. The ballet box is reserved to the locals, and I pray we never need to use the cartridge box again in US politics.

We care what is happening in Wisconsin. Stop pushing us away, Let us help.

-Chuck
Oh how sweet, you want to help and you have been such a generous soul with your money in our state. I am so sorry. I had you all wrong, I thought you were just a trouble maker who can't keep his mouth shut. I mean after all, you seem to provoke and insult SS members.

Flyingvan911

:ditto: States tend to look at each other's new laws to see what policies they like and want to adopt. When Missouri came out with a No-Call law with some teeth, other states jumped on the bandwagon. We don't want other states to kick us around the way Wisconsin has done to its MV owners.

Johnn Bravo

Well I just ran into a problem with the new MV plates. I'm trying to get plates for my M1009 Blazer, of course they say that's the only plate that i can put on.

Well I bought the thing to drive not just sit around in the yard and with the MV plates I would never get to drive it. Is the MV plate the only option or is there some other way to get a different plate for it so I can actually drive it ?

I just cant understand how a HMMWV can get a plate but a Blazer can't.

stumps

Well I just ran into a problem with the new MV plates. I'm trying to get plates for my M1009 Blazer, of course they say that's the only plate that i can put on.

Well I bought the thing to drive not just sit around in the yard and with the MV plates I would never get to drive it. Is the MV plate the only option or is there some other way to get a different plate for it so I can actually drive it ?

I just cant understand how a HMMWV can get a plate but a Blazer can't.
Look on your truck for a sticker that says: Meets Federal Requirements , or something like that. If it has one, take a picture of it with the VIN in view, and bring it in to show them.

Also, don't call it a M1009, call it a Blazer.

-Chuck

Johnn Bravo

Thanks for the reply.
Yes, I have been calling it a Blazer, that's pretty much all that it is. Took a quick look, the cold motivated me to hurry, my quick look resulted in no find of a sticker, just the standard door plates and optional equipment sticker in the glove box.

Johnn Bravo

I'm not sure how many digits in the vin I'll have to try to find the paperwork. I did the carfax thing on my other blaze and it came up as a D10 military blazer, the new one came up the same I think.

PM replied to.

Last edited:

vtwinpilot

Contact an attorney, I suggest one that is known for motorcycle right's as this is vehicular discrimination. First tho contact your legislator's and express your frustration that some elected official's mis-guided those that actually questioned it, appeasing us with false support to get us to drop opposition. The big thing this was done by stealth behind the back of the motoring public. And they have the standard 17 digit#. The only variance is the 5th? digit which designates which assembly line & suspension it's equipped with. Being that the suspension & brakes are superior to stock the dept. of trans argument that they are less safe is a breach of trust and should have any of them making those statement's to be first in line for budget downsizing.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks