• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Wisconsin HMV law in effect Oct 1st.

rabbithunter69

Hello, Let me tell you guys why I joined ss. I bought a 1968 A.M General M342A2 about 2 months ago, planning on using it as a weekend cruiser and wood hauler. I sent the title and registation form(and a good size check) in for collectors plates about three weeks ago, I got a call the other day from a lady at the WI DMV saying I could not get collector plates because it's a former military vehicle, so tonight I got on the internet to see what she was talking about and I came across your website(I wish I would have found it a couple months ago, my fault). By the looks of it I have three choices: get the historic military vehicle plates and let it sit in my yard and rust away, not get the historic military vehicle plates and let it sit in my yard and rust away or sell it. I mainly bought the truck to use on the road locally. I think I am going to wait a while to see what happens with this NEW law, but in the near future you might see a 1968 AM General M342A2 forsale in the classifieds. But back to why I joined, if it wasn't for SS, I would not have found out about this new law in Wisconsin and probably would have made a fool of myself when I called the DMV back telling them they don't know what they were talking about. So thanks for the website and I'll be checking back to keep updated on this issue.

undysworld

And my follow-up question, being new to living in Wisconsin, is WTF is wrong with WIS DOT?
BSH,

The Highway Safety Act of '63 charges DOT with collecting data and making recommendations to improve highway safety. WisDOT doesn't see that as enough. They think they can create the rules as they wish, without having to bother going through the legislative process. Trouble is, they very nearly got away with it. They don't like ex-mil vehicles, and they've almost outlawed 'em. Luckily, there are still a few folks who don't want to roll over and play dead.

Efforts are currently in action to stop this. The latest victory was to force DMV to issue 'truck' plates to Dodge M-880 pickups, against their will. With a new group in the Capital, we may be able to change things. If you're interested in helping with this effort, let me know and I'll add you to my email list.

What WisDOT/DMV has done is underhanded and quite possibly illegal. DOT Atty. Paul Nilsen and DOT Secy. Frank Busalacchi are the root of the problem and need to get tossed out on their asses. It's time to go to war against them.

Contact me directly if you wish to be added to my email notification list for direct updates.

Paul Underwood

DLJ

Undysworld, please add me to ypur mialing list ,If I can help let me know. When this whole fiasco started I wrote to Rob Kreibec, my state representative and he assured me things would be okay. This isn't the OK I envisioned. He's now out of office.

Rabbithunter, Please don't take this the wrong way. I believe a part of the problem started when too many people were abusing the collector plate. A Wis, collector plate is not to be used in place of a regular truck plate. 500 lb is all the weight you can haul in a truck with a collector plate. So the problem occured when you have a M35 ,or whatever truck and are using it as a work vehicle with a collector plate. 100.00 for a life time plate vs a regular annually renewed plate for a truck is money the DOT does't get. I'm not agreeing with the DOT,just saying abuse of the collector plate didn;t help the cause. A collector plate allows you to drive your vehicle daily,except for one month out of the year,I think it is Jan,maybe Feb. you must also have a regular licensced vehicle.

DLJ

rabbithunter69

I would pay the annual fee to run my truck on the road, but their not giving me that option. I planned on only running within ten miles of my home and mostly just for pleasure, not work ( OK some work ). The collector plates are $262.00 ( 8000 lbs and over ) vs. $30 for the historic military vehicle plates, so it's not the money the DOT is after, they just want these vehicles off the road period. I can see your point about people abusing the system but thats what we pay the State patrol and county officers for, stop the people who abuse, don't punish the people who don't .So now they make more laws they can't enforce. I can see where a hmv plate would serve a purpose for people who only run their vehicle in parades or to shows, it saves them $232, but for someone like me who would run to the gas station to get a gallon of milk, it's illegal, and why is a vehicle safe enough to run on the road to a parade or show ( normally a busy holiday ), but not safe for me to get a gallon of milk two miles down the road. Makes no sense but what does with the DOT. Kevin

lacoda56

RBH,
You hit the nail directly on the head! The wis dmv is run by prius driving, bicycle riding yuppies, which we ain't! It seems Dane county has become L.A. east. (No offense to our west coast friends). By the way, they are hoping that if the public (us) can't license our vehicles the way we want, then we'll sell them, prefferably out of state, end of problem! People like Paul Underwood(Undysworld) and Jeff Rowsam (Catman) are all we have going for us. Weather you want to run your vehicle in a parade or for daily use, we obviously are gonna have to fight for that privelage!

Tanner

There is a distinct advantage to having the laws allow daily use of your truck - you get an added bonus of the option to use it for parades or static display...

'Tanner'

salt6

You know what you guys should do. I heard this on the radio the other day. Have them start licinsing bicyles. Yeah they drive on the road and don't pay any taxes to do it. Oh and electric cars should pay an excise tax each year to cover all the loss in fuel taxes they don't produce.

:-D

This crap your dealing with needs to be stop fast or else it will spread to other states. So everyone needs to help these guys or it will soon be in a legelature near you.

So, how can we non-Wis guys help out.

undysworld

Have them start licinsing bicyles.
Yes. Oh, Yes!! This has been a pet idea of mine for some time now. That worthless rat-crap DOT attorney, Paul Nilsen is a HUGE bike racer. He's on the the "Brazen Dropouts" bike team, and he thinks he's the flippin' Lone Ranger, when it comes to defending bikers. Read this: [Bikies] Re: [brazen-dropouts] Mini-vans are harder than they look He's not a Law Enforcement Officer, but he thinks he can personally enforce the laws.

So not only do bikers get to ride on public highways for free (no taxes), they don't even carry license plates to identify them if they are behaving illegally. But bicyclists can turn in a van driver, and identify them by license number, and then based on hearsay, DOT can start harassing the driver. Nice. But illegally operated bikes can continue to operate anonymously. Really nice. Bicyclists should have to register their vehicles.

Not only that, in Wisconsin, it is the law that every motorcycle mount their license in a horizontal manner. Let me tell you, that makes all these chopper owners really happy. So how about each bicyclist having to also mount one of these huge plates, horizontally, on their bike? Oh, and one license per bike, just like all other vehicles. So if you own 5 bikes, then you pay 5 times. Just like all other on-road vehicles.

Bottom line, DOT Atty. Nilsen has been neck-deep in this anti-milveh fight since day one. Wisconsin doesn't need DOT employees like that. He needs to be removed from his job.

Anybody interested in initiating efforts to license bicycles is hereby welcome to contact me and start this effort! I'll help! It only seems fair.

Just my 2 cents worth...

skinnedknuckles

And drive around Madison during the warmer months and see just how many of these bicycle riders, that are dressed in there aerodynamic high dollar clothing, actually stop at stop signs :cookoo: I guess that they are above the law or something.
And who wins .... car/truck vs. bicycle..... HHHMMMM thats an easy one.
Just my 2cents
Now back to our green machines....
Paul in Janesville, Wis

Flyingvan911

There have been some small efforts to bust irresponcible bycyclists around Kansas City. They get really mad when they get a ticket for running a stop sign, etc. They want equal access to the roads but then want to ride however they want. I like to ride too sometimes but I am extra careful because bikes are way weaker than cars.

stumps

Licensing bicycles? I thought you guys were tired of regulations that were put into place specifically to harass one class,or another of vehicle owner.

A far better tactic, in my opinion, is to eliminate excess and un-needed regulation. Start with the WIDOT MV ban.

You have very limited resources available to you, don't dilute them on nonsense, apply them exclusively to the problem you want fixed.

-Chuck

ALA2

m v liscence

hello to all and hope your holiday was good
who do we contact to voice our concern can we get a online petition going
I know some local 4 wheel clubs are trying for a off road park. safty in numbers we could join there fight and perhaps thay would join ours
I m involved with off road wheeling in the lacrosse WI area and I want to help.
my bober was bought to pull my 715 so i will need plates for on road.
perhapse a parade in madison of military trucks.
thanks for all the hard work on this .
let me help.
alan
ala2

rabbithunter69

Alan, Would it have to be an official parade, OK'ed by the DOT or else we all will be breaking the law by driving our MV down the road. I just got off the phone with Kathy from the WI DOT, I need to send in form MV 2592 to get my HMV plates and they will refund the left over money I sent them for the collector plates. That sure is nice of them to give my money back after keeping it for a month. The HMV plates look cool anyways and I know my duece will need ALOT of regular maintenance. :twisted: Kevin

kennys@wi.rr.com

Well as some of you know I had a visit from LEO a few weeks ago because one of my neighbors seems to think the Deuce is not legal on the street. I had to track down a leak so I took it on one of those maint runs that we are allowed. Not a long ride and no over reving of the motor. Truth be told I had topark it on the street while I backed my civy trailer in the drive with a drum of fuel oil I got earlier, that was the real cause of the call. So anyway, I brought out my registration and even brought up the WI DOT site to show I was legal. Five minutes spent on the law and 30 spent on him telling me how cool the truck was. Overall a very posative experiance.
My point, New Years Eve and New Years Day should fall under special occasion, anyone with a legally registered MV is welcome to stop at the house for a burger, brat, soda or just to say hi.

englishmauser

Licensing bicycles? I thought you guys were tired of regulations that were put into place specifically to harass one class,or another of vehicle owner.

A far better tactic, in my opinion, is to eliminate excess and un-needed regulation. Start with the WIDOT MV ban.

You have very limited resources available to you, don't dilute them on nonsense, apply them exclusively to the problem you want fixed.

-Chuck
Chuck,
That is a very a good point. I totally agree, our government and it's regulations just keep getting bigger on it's own. We don't need to ask for more.
Jim

salt6

-Chuck

The point of my post is that WE need to work on this not just YOU. The bycycle parts just some humor to lighten the mood.

We need to get everyone involved not just YOU guys in Wis. Or like I wrote earlier this will be coming to a legislature near you.

poof

Dirty Hippie
Well as some of you know I had a visit from LEO a few weeks ago because one of my neighbors seems to think the Deuce is not legal on the street. I had to track down a leak so I took it on one of those maint runs that we are allowed. Not a long ride and no over reving of the motor. Truth be told I had topark it on the street while I backed my civy trailer in the drive with a drum of fuel oil I got earlier, that was the real cause of the call. So anyway, I brought out my registration and even brought up the WI DOT site to show I was legal. Five minutes spent on the law and 30 spent on him telling me how cool the truck was. Overall a very posative experiance.
My point, New Years Eve and New Years Day should fall under special occasion, anyone with a legally registered MV is welcome to stop at the house for a burger, brat, soda or just to say hi.

Great.. that counts me out...:p

tuckered

I am sorry for the problems in WI, but I am just curious about a couple of things.

If they can void out the title or license to your military vehicles, isn't that like a forced forfeiture? IE imminent domain? Wouldn't they have to give you a lot of money for your vehicle, I mean they are rare in public hands. Wouldn't that make them valuable or a 'prized' item. Particularly if they were sold to you via the state gov itself. That deuce, maybe you have $3,000 invested. But to you it is worth $30,000. Shouldn't they have to cut you a a big check? Granted, its the principle of the thing and some military vehicles are quite very rare, period. But couldn't some thinking like that, lawsuits too, give encouragement to the state gov to make things right?

Since your have to put up with those folks, how much does a parade permit cost?

If you allowed to drive to a parade: How many people/persons count as a parade? A parade of one? How about freedom of speech and integrating the vehicle as a display for that speech? Can you get a parade permit to drive abound the HQ for the WI DMV in protest? Get about 50 of them driving in a circle, at a slow speed. Perhaps, that might get the media's attention.

Afterall, if they are already dening your right of ownership/use of your own vehicles, then what do yo have to loose? If they are keeping you from using your private vehicles for your own private uses, then they are in affect taking more of your rights away. Soon they probably wont even allow those vehicles on your driveway.

Just some thoughts

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks