• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Young Member and have many questions

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Welcome to the Green Iron Laughing Academy.

I'm going to talk to you just like you were one of my young Soldiers when I was in the Army. Don't take this personally but as sage advice from someone who has been there.

I have been, at various times, a military truck driver, Drivers Licence Examiner and Road Tester. I have also had to be on several fatal accident review boards and had to testify at the Court Martial of a Soldier that was involved in a fatal accident. It did not go well for him and he went to jail for negligent homicide.

I was also an over the road truck driver for many years and still have my CDL.

These trucks are very good for what they were built for. That is carrying various cargo across all types of terrain and on public roads while being operated by often careless and immature soldiers.

They are not toys and will kill you (or somebody else) so quick you won't even know it.

They do not make good daily drivers although there are a few folks on here that do because they are willing to do the required upkeep on them.

They are unique vehicles in several different ways. They handle different and are uncomfortable to drive depending on the weather.

They get lousy fuel mileage and the heater/defroster is minimally effective at best. The mirrors are not heated and when they fog over you are flying blind. Don't get me stated on the windshield wipers and leaking seals around the windows.

They are slow and have longer braking distances than similar commercial vehicles. Other drivers get impatient around them and do stupid stuff.

Your main issue is going to be insurance. Most Commercial Driving jobs require that you be at least 21 and some go up to 23.

If I remember correctly the companies that issue antique and historical policies require at least 21 to prevent immature drivers from operating these vehicles.

If you manage to circumvent the system and have an accident the insurance company has more lawyers than you do and will gut you like a fish.

The other guy will hire a trial lawyer that specializes in "big rig" accidents and when your insurance company doesn't pay they will go after whoever has the most assets.

You have posted in other threads and I admire the fact that you want to be a part of this amazing hobby. I'm going to echo the advice that someone else gave you on one of those threads. Get a smaller military vehicle to cut your teeth on. Get in with the guys in your area and get to know the big trucks before you take a leap that might end up costing you a ton of money or worse.

Just my advice for what it is worth.

gottaluvit

Nice breakdown for him guys! I needn't say much now except when I served in mid 80s I was issued and drove my squad's 5-ton dump(12B!). One day they asked me to drive a deuce 'n a half for headquarters company. After I was done I begged my squad leader to never even ask me to volunteer to get behind the wheel of a deuce. My 5-ton was the older M817 with manual transmission and none of the modern goodies of the M929A2, but at least it had power steering and shifted nice.

JohnnyBM931A2

I'd consider a 5ton for a daily driver if work was a large parking lot less than 10 miles away and driven by back roads at a comfortable 45mph and ambient temp of 70 degrees.

In Phoenix, with traffic conditions that I've seen there, 115 degrees with sun pounding down on you, and engine heat washing out at you, I wouldn't consider it. I've driven 939series 5ton trucks through Phoenix....

If you have an HOA, plan to park the truck at a storage place. Even if the HOA rules don't look like they prohibit the MV, they'll find a way to interpret the rules so that they do. Count on it.

A 5ton truck as an only vehicle isn't really a viable option. Think of it as a toy, or an RV, but not as a sole means of transportation.
Ha. You pretty much described my situation.. I live 2 miles from work, and I work a trade job at a fairly large company, so parking is not an issue. We will be moving to a larger location later this month, but even so it's only 10 miles away. And in my case, my M931A2 will actually be more economical to drive than my previous car. My previous daily driver was a '66 Ford Fairlane with a fair amount of work done to it. I was getting 7-10mpg, which is about the same as the truck, but I always had to use premium gas (93 octane here.) I think premium around here is currently $3.40/gallon, whereas diesel is $2.70/gallon. The truck also comes with some "luxury" items that my car did not have, like power steering, and power brakes (my car had manual brakes, drums on all 4 corners.) Truck doesn't have A/C, but I am used to that.. Car didn't have A/C either. And at least the truck is a light color.. Unlike the car, which was black with black vinyl seats. That was always enjoyable when it was 90 degrees out and 85% humidity. It may be hotter in Arizona, but at least you guys don't have to deal with humidity.. :p

Anyway, I say as long as the parking, HOA, and other things are accounted for, the OP should go for it. Worst case, the idea fails, and he has to sell the truck.

JohnnyBM931A2

@JohnnyBM931A2; so you drive yours every day? That's pretty neat!
Not yet. I just passed the written test for a C license the other day (I've been pretty busy ever since I bought it in mid-July, so this was the first chance I had to do it.) Now I need to get the truck up to the DMV at some point to do the driving portion of the test. I still need to fix my problem with the rear running lights though.. Worst case, my boss said I can use one of the trucks at work to take my test :)

71DeuceAK

I thought you couldn't do the air brake exam with these 5-ton military trucks...am I wrong on that? Granted, I realize it may vary state by state...

If I could indeed to the CDL air brake test on one, I might consider getting one...although I may have a potential Deuce acquistion coming up in June and for right now one is enough LOL.

JohnnyBM931A2

I thought you couldn't do the air brake exam with these 5-ton military trucks...am I wrong on that? Granted, I realize it may vary state by state...

If I could indeed to the CDL air brake test on one, I might consider getting one...although I may have a potential Deuce acquistion coming up in June and for right now one is enough LOL.
There was no mention of me needing to do anything regarding the airbrakes. I'm guessing they don't require it, since it is a specialty vehicle and my C license will be non-commercial. Worst case I will use the truck from work.. It does not have air brakes.

You are correct about the air brakes on the 5 tons.. I have heard that they can't be used for air brake tests, since they have wedge brakes instead of s-cam brakes.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I have been driving mine to and from work approx. 20mi each way for the past 2 weeks just to break it in a little bit. I just don't think my back is broke in for all the potholes! It is interstate city driving which isn't much traffic at 8pm so I cruise about 52. Coming home is city driving but not really stop and go. I think I got diesel on Aug 30th and drove to work every day except for Monday the 1st and I have done some other cruising around town and I am still on the same tank I think I can go to work tonight and home in the morning and cruise some little tomorrow before I have to get fuel. I try to pay very close attention on city driving so I don't have to use the brakes so much watch your crosswalk lights especially the ones with countdown timers. Just so you know if the light is or isn't gonna change before you get there. and the other people who may want to cut you off. Also invest in some good noise canceling headphones. I picked up a pair at Costco the other day. Sony I think for $178. I can only hear the truck at WOT and it is straight piped. I think the only reason I can hear it then is that its coming thru my body!

dmetalmiki

In the U.K. you can not obtain historic military insurance cover until the age of 30. If you pass a heavy goods vehicle test (entirely possible) at 18 years of age, and or actively drive a heavy goods vehicle in the forces, You still cannot drive a Landrover or a willys jeep!! until your 30. How's THAT for crud!. We have German and polish 17 year olds coming over in large trucks regularly. But they could not do that job here in the U.K. Yet a 16 year old CAN drive a tractor (diamond t or scammell!?) quite legally over here And get insurance to do so. Hows that for perverse. In relation to your problem. Our "apprentice" CAN and DOES drive large vehicles, BUT ONLY in convoy OR being accompanied with. MY RULES! why? because 17 year olds (at least here in the U.K.) drive like they are immortal (which they most certainly are NOT!)..and knowing the way they drive their everyday cars makes me certain the restriction should apply. I wish you all the best, BUT advise you to take up driving tuition in vehicles of type you wish to drive. Even obtaining the "ticket" after training is NO substitute for experience. You have plenty of time, go, Jeep, dodge command car or WC52 etc. then up weight further as you gain experience and skill. Plus a clean driving record. And how about joining the national guard as a driver? possible?. good luck.

JohnnyBM931A2

I have been driving mine to and from work approx. 20mi each way for the past 2 weeks just to break it in a little bit. I just don't think my back is broke in for all the potholes! It is interstate city driving which isn't much traffic at 8pm so I cruise about 52. Coming home is city driving but not really stop and go. I think I got diesel on Aug 30th and drove to work every day except for Monday the 1st and I have done some other cruising around town and I am still on the same tank I think I can go to work tonight and home in the morning and cruise some little tomorrow before I have to get fuel. I try to pay very close attention on city driving so I don't have to use the brakes so much watch your crosswalk lights especially the ones with countdown timers. Just so you know if the light is or isn't gonna change before you get there. and the other people who may want to cut you off. Also invest in some good noise canceling headphones. I picked up a pair at Costco the other day. Sony I think for $178. I can only hear the truck at WOT and it is straight piped. I think the only reason I can hear it then is that its coming thru my body!
Ha. Nice. Since mine will be something I drive quite often I don't plan on messing with the exhaust. It also helps that it's an A2 with the 8.3. I can barely hear it running from 15 feet away :)

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I would advise on getting a rainsuit to wear incase of a pop up shower and shes taking on more water than the Titanic

Powershift

I drive my 5 ton every day, but it's not more than about 4 miles each way, to and from my shop. But, the drive includes city driving, and highway driving. I store it in a private, secure, storage yard. After running my morning errands in my POV, I drive to the yard, and pick up the 5 ton to go to my shop for the day. It's only had a handful of days off in the 3+ years I've owned it. I drain the air tanks at the end of every day, just to ensure moisture doesn't build up in the system. The best thing for these trucks, like all military vehicles, is to use them frequently. Letting them sit for weeks, or months, at a time just leads to problems.

71DeuceAK

For me, driving a regular car, pickup, etc. to a storage yard to pick up my 5 ton to drive every day would almost be a deal-breaker, though I guess I'd have to deal with it if I lived in an HOA neighborhood and still wanted to own one.

It makes sense that driving it regularly would keep it in better shape.

Artisan

33 cents per mile here in Northern Illinois ;) I was also using 8mpg as an average.
Can we assume you were runnin' bobtail / EMPTY and not hauling
a really heavy trailer, maybe wet, with a mud laden dozer
(muddy trailer tires and undercarriage on ALL as well)
like some do ? ;-)

Powershift

For me, driving a regular car, pickup, etc. to a storage yard to pick up my 5 ton to drive every day would almost be a deal-breaker, though I guess I'd have to deal with it if I lived in an HOA neighborhood and still wanted to own one.

It makes sense that driving it regularly would keep it in better shape.
I live in a gated community. And to be honest, it's AWESOME looking forward to picking it up every day! No joke, best two times of my day, even if I had a bad day, is driving that BEAST.

Shirehorse

M813 5 ton owner here.

Factoring the cost of daily-driving your 5 ton is not necessarily only about fuel. As many of the experienced members can tell you, there is a lot that goes in to keeping your garbage green running smoothly. I've done nearly two grand alone this year in various maintenance and projects, and that's just routine stuff. Keep in mind I've had a ton of experience with military vehicles, both from six years as an Army 19K (tanker) and two years on the civilian side.

Even if you have nothing go wrong/wear mechanically (an impossibility), you're looking at a second full time mechanic's job when it comes to work on your iron. When I bought my truck, the first things I did were fuel lines and filters, brakes (new wheel cylinders and braided steel brake hoses courtesy of peashooter), new master cylinder, diff gear oil change, trans and transfer oil change, engine oil change, coolant, etc... This quickly racks up well over a grand, especially buying a few fittings here, a few bolts there, 5 pounds of grease, new grease fittings, primer, paint, bulbs, etc... Not to mention your time is money as well. When I did all six bearings on my truck, it took me three weeks because the railroad wouldn't leave me alone long enough to finish anything in one sitting. Don't forget the cost of all the 3/4 and 1" drive tools you'll need to crack those nuts and bolts.

I'm not saying don't drive your five ton daily, I do drive it to work a lot of days, especially when the weather is nice. I log my fuel costs on a spreadsheet for all my vehicles, and to be honest, I don't really fill it up much for how much I drive it. That being said, I always keep it above 1/4 tank, due to the semi-terroristic nature of military fuel gauges.

Not to be said, you should have a large credit card set aside just for emergencies, because if you break down and have to be towed, it's not a rollback coming to get you.

Listen to the more tenured members of this site. Their experience is invaluable to making the correct decision regarding your future purchase. Given that you are 17, I'd suggest starting with a CUCV first. They're smaller, lighter, and the parts availability is somewhat more. That being said, you might be able to sway your old man into getting one as a father/son bonding activity. You know, family memories and all that happy horse hockey.

Best of luck,

Brian

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks