• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newb Oil question

Dmaxcc6spd

I searched the forums, but had too many results to be useful, so forgive me for beating the dead horse.

My recently acquired M925 could benefit from some better cranking speed. I'm still sorting out the batteries and cables, but they should be OK.

From what I have learned, it seems the engine was filled with SAE 30 oil by the govt. Is this likely?

I am planning to go with the traditional 15W40 which should hopefully flow better in the cold and promote easier cranking. I could do the 5W40, but that is really expensive.

Thoughts for the newb?

Thanks guys - I have much to learn!!

BigWill1985

I have used Shell Rotella 15w-40 in all of my diesels for the past 4 years. I have ran it in our Vermeer wood chipper (runs a Deutz 3 cylinder 30hp diesel), my old Chevy 6.5TD, my 2006 Chevy 2500HD Duramax truck, and now our M817. My Duramax now has 295,000 miles and runs perfect! Must be something good in that oil!

~Will Courtier~

rangereter

Most engine oils smell more different than they really are... 15w-40 works just about anywhere anytime in the lower 48, there are only so many refineries and it seems very proprietary with respect to additives. Most of the time two good 900 amp batts will effectively crank an 855 above 32 degrees. You might have weak batteries or poor connections? or your starter amp draw may also be too high (any of these seem to be most common).
regards, Bob

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks