• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newbie GL question about firearms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whitey

No. Federal property. CCW laws are state laws, federal gov't doesn't even to seem to want its own soldiers to have easy access on base. Don't try it.

Ford Mechanic

Thanks guys, I wasn't going to try it but I was unsure of the rules or if they checked or held them at the gate. I figured they were used to dealing with firearms on base and would have some sort of a policy one way or another. As far as leaving it home......I don't leave home without it, so I would rather not travel 8 hrs round trip without it.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not real fond of leaving mine behind either but in Columbus they searched us going in.

USMC4302

The regs may differ base to base so the best bet is to call the base/station MPs/PMO/Security Office to find out (Google is your friend). The policy for the base I work aboard is that you have to submit paperwork similar to a visit request to bring a POW (Personally Owned Weapon) aboard the base and (if approved) will only allow point to point between the gate and either the indoor pistol range or the skeet range. In your case, our base would have no provision at the gate to hold the weapon while you were aboard the installation. If you showed up here with one, they would most likely turn you away. In an extreme case, they would hold you and your weapon at the gate until they did a lengthy check on you and then (several hours later) turn you away.

Welcome to the post 9-11/ post Newtown security environment. Yes, military installations are "used to dealing with firearms on base" and *do* have policies for dealing with them. Chances are very likely that if you just show up with one, you won't much care for the policy ;) Leave it home or at the very least, arrange for storage somewhere close *before* trying to go aboard a military installation. But whatever you do, do not try to just sneak one aboard -- if you get caught, and it's highly likely you will, the penalties are severe.

Have a good pickup, though!

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Save yourself the hassle, leave it at home. I hate to as well, but I've done it several times. (Leaving it at home)

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Oh and BTW, I not only hold a GWL (Georgia Weapons License) but I also hold a FFL 01 and 03. But I STILL won't even try.

zout

Here's a better mental image. I am a Norweign and my weapon is always attached to me - just ask Zout 2.

Now if someone is friskin me and they stay in one place too long -
No permit necessary for mine. Carry mine where ever I desire. [thumbzup]

Truckoholic

Yeah this is also a hard one for me. I go NO WHERE without mine, and when I went to retrieve my M925A1 from Barstow, that is about a 16 hour round trip for me. There was no way I was going to leave my gun at home for that entire trip. But then you are faced with, "Well then where can I leave it when I get there before I go on base?" Thoughts went through my head of finding someplace in the desert to hide it that I could go back to and retrieve it, or getting a motel room to leave it in or something. Because one thing was for sure......I was NOT going to make that long of a trip without it. And I didn't.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Applied the " don't ask, don't tell policy at Frot Cambell, Fort Knox, and Wright Pat. Concealed weapon remained in truck and had no issue. No profibited warnings or notices at any type at the base check in facility. A long drive home with no self defence is a little scary.

jedawson1

My father hikes trucks around the country and frequently has to drive into shipping ports for trucks sold to overseas. While not a military base they are a "Gun Free Zone". So far he has been able to lock his weapon in a case and check it at the guard shack with no problem. I don't see any govt. entity being this accommodating.

For such a long trip I would not leave home with out it, and I would call a gun shop local to where the recovery is and see if they will accommodate you. I have done two 12+ hour recoveries and I was able to leave it in my bag at the hotel while I did an AM recovery and went back for my bag when I left the base. Good luck! Be safe and be smart, don't take chances it only hurts us permit holders.

Heath_h49008

Two ideas...

A: If you have a chase car, leave it in the chase car off-base, pick-up and get it back on the outside.

B: Most bases have more pawnshops than guardposts around them... find a pawnshop and pay the owner $5-$20 to rent some space in his safe for your sidearm and pick it up when you're done.

There are ways around the issue that don't require you to be defenseless for 90% of the trip just because of the 10% you spend in some silly "gun free zone."

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pawn shop idea is a good one. They're at the front gate of the bases I've been to. Also., there were no prohibited warnings posted at the civilian entry posts/ check stations, and I've been to several bases, several times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks