• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newbie ? on M105 trailers

12vman

I just bought a M101 a couple weeks ago and now I am thinking about getting a M105 since for some reason in my area they tend to auction cheaper than the M101.

What is the bed size difference and i guess simply ..what are the differences btw the two???

Anything I need to look at closely if i pick one up other than the tires and bearings

Are there some models that are better than others??

Thanks!!!!

gunboy1656

Once again, they are cheaper cause not to many have a use for a trailer that size. Have to have a larger truck to tow it as alone it weighs near 2800 pounds. add anything in the trailer and well weight goes up.

If you don't have a truck with air brakes you will be towing without any brakes.

Among with you listed, check that the brake system was not destroyed from when GL loaded and unloaded it.

I am being nice today, I could have told you that everything you asked has been answered. Guess I need some sleep.

12vman

I am being nice today, I could have told you that everything you asked has been answered. Guess I need some sleep.
Thank you for taking time out of your busy hectic day to take 30 sec and answer a new members post...........sorry to bother you...it wont happen again

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Newbie + Sarcasm = Bad Start

You have asked a few very basic questions that are easily answered by searching or simply reading the trailer forum threads. You received your answer(with a little subtle advise).

GB, next time you reply, please be more gentle with the newbs(they bruise easily)

Last edited:

Truckoholic

I've got both an M105, and an M101. The M101 is very easy to modify so that the draw bar is the correct height to be pulled behind a regular sized vehicle and have the trailer be level. That's one thing that really bugs me bad.... When the trailer is doing a nose dive when it's pulled behind anything other than a big military truck. I've got mine setup to pull behind my Chevy Suburban. The lunette is really easy to flip upside down to make things line up better, but then in addition to that, I did away with the folding drawbar capability and welded some square tubing under the bed of the trailer to further level it out. I love the way it's turning out. I'm not done with it yet. Just been having to work on it here and there. I still don't have a plug on the light cord yet, or hooks on the safety chains. Just barely got the thing registered a couple days ago.

As you can see in my pics, the M105 is MUCH heavier duty and set up higher than the M101, and because it is so heavy duty, the draw bar would take a lot more work to atempt to make the trailer anywhere close to level when towed behind a regular vehicle. And as was mentioned, the trailer weighs 2,750 pounds empty. It is very difficult for me to muscle it around when trying to hook it up to one of my military trucks. I have to hope I can get it lined up just right with the truck so I don't have to move it.

When I went to buy these trailers I discovered the same thing. That the M105s almost always sell for less, and it didn't make any sense to me, since it is so much heavier duty of a trailer. But now that I know how much more useful the M101 is for everyday use, I totally understand. I bought my M105 for $150, and my M101 was $200.

IMG_20111005_093452.jpg

IMG_20111005_093512.jpg

IMG_20111005_094800.jpg

IMG_20111005_094833.jpg

Ressoldier

Also if you look on the GL auction page for a M105 it will show you the approx shipping size. The main thing is that uness you have a Topkick, F650 or larger vehicle with air brakes the 105 simply is not practical.

M101- designed for 1.25 ton truck to pull(M37)
M105- designed for 2.5 ton or larger truck with airbrakes to pull.

12vman

I've got both an M105, and an M101. The M101 is very easy to modify so that the draw bar is the correct height to be pulled behind a regular sized vehicle and have the trailer be level. That's one thing that really bugs me bad.... When the trailer is doing a nose dive when it's pulled behind anything other than a big military truck. I've got mine setup to pull behind my Chevy Suburban. The lunette is really easy to flip upside down to make things line up better, but then in addition to that, I did away with the folding drawbar capability and welded some square tubing under the bed of the trailer to further level it out. I love the way it's turning out. I'm not done with it yet. Just been having to work on it here and there. I still don't have a plug on the light cord yet, or hooks on the safety chains. Just barely got the thing registered a couple days ago.

As you can see in my pics, the M105 is MUCH heavier duty and set up higher than the M101, and because it is so heavy duty, the draw bar would take a lot more work to atempt to make the trailer anywhere close to level when towed behind a regular vehicle. And as was mentioned, the trailer weighs 2,750 pounds empty. It is very difficult for me to muscle it around when trying to hook it up to one of my military trucks. I have to hope I can get it lined up just right with the truck so I don't have to move it.

When I went to buy these trailers I discovered the same thing. That the M105s almost always sell for less, and it didn't make any sense to me, since it is so much heavier duty of a trailer. But now that I know how much more useful the M101 is for everyday use, I totally understand. I bought my M105 for $150, and my M101 was $200.

View attachment 279602

View attachment 279603

View attachment 279604

View attachment 279605

Thank you sir.....that was exactly what I was looking for

To the others that think I "bruise easily" or should of used the search function(which I did)your replies remind me of the women on my wifes weightwatchers forum that whine and cry about not using correct grammar and punctuation or heaven forbid using shorthand in posts

Again.... i asked the question when the search turned up nothing.....

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If our standards are too high for you, well...

KsM715

Thank you sir.....that was exactly what I was looking for

To the others that think I "bruise easily" or should of used the search function(which I did)your replies remind me of the women on my wifes weightwatchers forum that whine and cry about not using correct grammar and punctuation or heaven forbid using shorthand in posts

Again.... i asked the question when the search turned up nothing.....

Whats are you doing on your wifes weight watchers forum?:p

Seriously, if your going to start out complaining about how things work around here, (yes, read the rules, we will get after members for grammar and proper puncuation). If that type of stuff bothers you, you will not like this site.

Last edited:

12vman

Whats are you doing on your wifes weight watchers forum?:p

me and my wife get recipe ideas...that ok????

Seriously, if your going to start out complaining about how things work around here, (yes, read the rules, we will get after members for grammar and proper puncuation). If that type of stuff bothers you, you will not like this site.

Got more important things to worry about in my life other than periods and commas and whether or not somebody used a search function

Maybe we should move this site over to the Oprah site????????

eagle4g63

As I am also "new" here, I think it was a few MONTHS after I joined before I asked a single question! If you can't figure out how to search on here than don't get short with anyone.....read more!! Everyone is just tired of sorting through all the SAME things over and over again to find something worth reading....

If THAT makes you a little pissy maybe you need to go to the Oprah site!!

Also you need to be this big to ride the m105 ride.

Attachments

12vman

.....read more!! Everyone is just tired of sorting through all the SAME things over and over again to find something worth reading....

mmmmmmmmm.............find another site then........if everybody is asking the same **** questions then whats the point of the site.......other than the whole "Im in a club" thingy

KsM715

Got more important things to worry about in my life other than periods and commas and whether or not somebody used a search function

Maybe we should move this site over to the Oprah site????????
Maybe we have more important things to do than answer simple questions about silly little trailers.
dang like always ruff on the new guys:deadhorse:

You get what you give.

KsM715

mmmmmmmmm.............find another site then........if everybody is asking the same **** questions then whats the point of the site.......other than the whole "Im in a club" thingy

It has nothing to do with "being in the club"

It has to do with "newguys" walking in the door and smarting off to someone thats been here awhile.

Think about it, would you just walk into a local bar that you've never been to and just walk up to the bar and order with out knowing that there is a certain system that they use there. Then when confronted that you just "cut the line" rather than appoligizing and trying to fit in you just rant and rave about how you didnt know then go on to complain about that system? Most people would walk in and kind of get a feel for the place before they do anything.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks